Options

Fishermen

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited February 14, 2007 in People
On my recent outing to Avoca Beach I came across a group of interesting dressed fisherman. Unlike most people there who simply fished in their tongs and t-shirts this group was dressed head to toe in protective gear. I’ve approached them and asked them if I could take a photo. While I was doing that a big wave hit the rocks and carried one of the t-shirt clad fisherman about 10 meters on his back on the rocks. Now I could easily understand why these seasoned anglers were wearing so much gear. The fishermen were originally from Philippines who now call Australia home. Jokingly they said “We don’t like fishing but we are here every day”. As you can see in the photo gallery they have had some success with their angling.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007

On my recent outing to Avoca Beach I came across a group of interesting dressed fisherman. Unlike most people there who simply fished in their tongs and t-shirts this group was dressed head to toe in protective gear. I’ve approached them and asked them if I could take a photo. While I was doing that a big wave hit the rocks and carried one of the t-shirt clad fisherman about 10 meters on his back on the rocks. Now I could easily understand why these seasoned anglers were wearing so much gear. The fishermen were originally from Philippines who now call Australia home. Jokingly they said “We don’t like fishing but we are here every day”. As you can see in the photo gallery they have had some success with their angling.

Nice to see him being SUN SMART same for those of us who go out taking photos, we all need to be sun smart, doesn't matter if you think you look daggy with a big hat and other protective gear, trust me skin cancer is not worth it.

Thanks for sharing Ted....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I really like the colors and comp here...and the fisherman certainly looks interesting. Very pleasing shot to my eyes!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Thank you. It was a bit of a challenge to make the shot appear natural and unposed. He was interested in the camera and in what I was doing and it took a bit of coversation to take his mind of me being there.

It certainly is one of more colourful portraits I've taken in a while.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    It certainly is one of more colourful portraits I've taken in a while.

Agreed. I'm liking you in color, Ted!

Your mastery of being invisible photographer, even after obtaining permission, is to be commended. Not just in this instance, but in your work in general...it's a tough act to pull off.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I like the colors and composition in this, Ted. I'm a big fan of your B&W, but this one screams color! Beautiful beach and nice series of shots in your gallery.