sharing / linking

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hey Andy

Whenever I want to post a photo here, from one of my smuggy galleries, I'm forced to go into gallery customization to turn off right click protection in order to copy the image's URL.

After completing the thread post here I then have to return to customization to turn right click protection back on over at the gallery.

too many steps and too time consuming!

why can't signing in to one's own site override protection? or is there another, simpler way I'm not aware of?

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 13, 2007
    Angelo,

Add this code to your footer block (remove the *'s)...
    <*script*>
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
      document.oncontextmenu=null;
    <*/script*>

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Are you sure?
    devbobo wrote:
    Angelo,

Add this code to your footer block (remove the *'s)...
    <*script*>
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
      document.oncontextmenu=null;
    <*/script*>

Cheers,

David
    David, does that really help? That may stop the right-mouse context menu from being blocked, but does it make the blank gif go away that's on top of the image? Won't this just make it easy to get the URL of the blank gif?

Here's how I do it:

Go to the gallery in question. Display the desired image. There will be an URL displayed in the browser like:
    http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/1179391#55129730

Copy that to the clipboard. Paste it into your target. Now modify it by changing "gallery" to "photos", removing the gallery ID number and the # sign, keeping the number after the # sign, adding the suffix for the size you want (-M, -L, -O), then adding .jpg onto the end. You should end up with something like this:

http://jfriend.smugmug.com/photos/55129730-M.jpg

The red part is the same in the two URLs. The white part is modified in the 2nd.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I have often wondered the same thing..... it is a true pain in the rumpuss!

Angelo wrote:
    Hey Andy

Whenever I want to post a photo here, from one of my smuggy galleries, I'm forced to go into gallery customization to turn off right click protection in order to copy the image's URL.

After completing the thread post here I then have to return to customization to turn right click protection back on over at the gallery.

too many steps and too time consuming!

why can't signing in to one's own site override protection? or is there another, simpler way I'm not aware of?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Wouldn't it just be easier to display the share button when loggedIn? Gives
    you all the links ya need.

#shareLink {display:none !important;}

.loggedIn #shareLink {display:block !important;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 13, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Wouldn't it just be easier to display the share button when loggedIn? Gives
    you all the links ya need.

#shareLink {display:none !important;}

.loggedIn #shareLink {display:block !important;}

I agree that Smugmug should let the logged in user have the share links to make this problem go away for ever. But, are you sure this suggestion will work? When image protection is on, is there even a share link in the page to turn on with CSS?

This code also doesn't allow you to have easy sharing turned on for the public in some galleries since it turns it off for the public in all galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 13, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I agree that Smugmug should let the logged in user have the share links to make this problem go away for ever. But, are you sure this suggestion will work? When image protection is on, is there even a share link in the page to turn on with CSS?

This code also doesn't allow you to have easy sharing turned on for the public in some galleries since it turns it off for the public in all galleries.
    The suggestion was for someone that didn't want the share button public.
    Otherwise it should be available to click for links, isn't that what he's looking
    for, just use the share button.

Just add for specific places if you don't want it everywhere.

.gallery_123466 #shareLink {display:block !important;}

.category_Flowers #shareLink {display:block !important;}
    edited February 13, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    The suggestion was for someone that didn't want the share button public.
    Otherwise it should be available to click for links, isn't that what he's looking
    for, just use the share button.

Just add for specific places if you don't want it everywhere.

.gallery_123466 #shareLink {display:block !important;}

.category_Flowers #shareLink {display:block !important;}

Your right. This works. To my surprise, the easy sharing button appears even when you have right click protection on. That's bizzarre to me since the two features are completely incompatible (it would be silly to have right-click protection on and allow easy sharing), but Smugmug lets you do it so you can use this CSS to make it appear only when you are logged in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 13, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Your right. This works. To my surprise, the easy sharing button appears even when you have right click protection on. That's bizzarre to me since the two features are completely incompatible (it would be silly to have right-click protection on and allow easy sharing), but Smugmug lets you do it so you can use this CSS to make it appear only when you are logged in.
    The one problem is using WebDev anyone can edit and show the share
    button.eek7.gif Just like "display cats or galleries on homepage". You have to have
    share toggled off under each gallery customization to be safe, but then the
    display loggedIn wouldn't work.
    edited February 13, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    The one problem is using WebDev anyone can edit and show the share
    button.eek7.gif Just like "display cats or galleries on homepage". You have to have
    share toggled off under each gallery customization to be safe, but then the
    display loggedIn wouldn't work.
    Yeah, that's why I thought Smugmug wouldn't even put the easy share button in the page if image protection was on (to avoid CSS hacking vulnerability). But, they did, so your idea works.

Image protection is so easy to defeat (all you have to do is understand how Smugmug constructs their URLs) that it's no big deal if some CSS hackery will also let you get around it. If the user has any sophistication at all, they can get around the right-click protection anyway.

The only real protection is to block larges and originals and/or use a watermark.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 13, 2007
    YIKES!!!! wings.gif

What have I started??? I don't understand ANY of what you guys are talking about!!!!

I am such a programming dunce!
    edited February 13, 2007
    Summary
    Angelo wrote:
    YIKES!!!! wings.gif

What have I started??? I don't understand ANY of what you guys are talking about!!!!

I am such a programming dunce!

To summarize: if you take the CSS code from Allen's first posting and put it in your CSS customization and you enable easy sharing in your gallery customization, you will get the "share" buttons only when logged in which will make it easy to get the URLs of your images, even when image protection is on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • chshrktchshrkt Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2007
    Gah!
    What and where is my css customization footer?
    Why did you remove the easy to use links for forums? There is a photo I want to send to my wife at work, she just needs the url for the photo itself without all the SmugMug wrapping. This used to be so easy and I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to do that now without having to manually change the url in the address bar or add css customization.

[edit2] Okay, I finally figured out the stuff above by clicking on the "Share' button, then a couple more links. I still cannot figure out how to change the red down thumb I mention in my first edit below.

I am not a big time photographer, I just want to share photos with friends and family without having to apply all kinds of customization css styles and stuff. Is there an easy way to put my site back the way it was before all the upgrades in the last month?

[edit] I also seem to have mistakenly clicked on the red down thumb for one of the images, can I change that back? having stuff pop up over the image is a bit frustrating.

Thank you

http://joejohnson.smugmug.com
    edited February 13, 2007
    A simpler way
    chshrkt wrote:
    Gah!
    What and where is my css customization footer?
    Why did you remove the easy to use links for forums? There is a photo I want to send to my wife at work, she just needs the url for the photo itself without all the SmugMug wrapping. This used to be so easy and I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to do that now without having to manually change the url in the address bar or add css customization.

I am not a big time photographer, I just want to share photos with friends and family without having to apply all kinds of customization css styles and stuff. Is there an easy way to put my site back the way it was before all the upgrades in the last month?

[edit] I also seem to have mistakenly clicked on the red down thumb for one of the images, can I change that back? having stuff pop up over the image is a bit frustrating.

Thank you

http://joejohnson.smugmug.com

Maybe we're all making this too hard for you. No custom CSS is required if you're willing to enable sharing for everyone and go with easier security settings. Here's the simplest way to do this.

Go to the customize dialog for a specific gallery. In the "security and privacy" section, make sure that the following settings are set:
    • public = yes
    • ext. links = yes
    • larges = yes (only if you want to share the large size)
    • watermarking = no
    The in the "social" section set:
    • easy sharing = yes
    Now, follow these steps:
    • Go to the desired gallery, whether logged in or not
    • Select the desired image
    • Click on the "Share" button near the top of the page
    • Select "forums/blogs/etc" if that isn't already selected
    • Now you will see all the different sized direct links for the current image
    • From now on, you can just always use the "Share" button to get access to all URL versions for any image.

As an alternate approach (if you are willing to turn off right-click protection):
    Go to the customize dialog for a specific gallery. In the "security and privacy" section, make sure that the following settings are set:
    • public = yes
    • ext. links = yes
    • larges = yes (only if you want to share the large size)
    • watermarking = no
    • protected = no
    And then, you can right click on any image in your page and just copy the image URL to the clipboard. In Firefox, you just use "Copy Image Location". In IE, you open properties and select the URL from the dialog and copy it to the clipboard.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info jfriend.

Do you have any ideas regarding the red thumb thing, other than deleting the image and re-uploading it?
    edited February 13, 2007
    Rotate left/then right
    chshrkt wrote:
    Thanks for the info jfriend.

Do you have any ideas regarding the red thumb thing, other than deleting the image and re-uploading it?

Rotate the photo left and then right and it will reset the popularity rating. You could also do a replace photo (e.g. upload it again) or delete and reupload as you guessed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 13, 2007
    Rotating the photo worked, thanks again jfriend.