Options

Searching for Snow (a diaper change gone awry)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Possible entry for #84?
Comments/critiques most welcome.

I crushed shadows a bit to highlight the form, and diminish the little bum as the focal point.

129438552-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I like it a lot - a slightly cropped version might make the image tighter ?! Here is what I have in mind...just a thought :-)

Cheers, Sunita

http://sunita.smugmug.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Sunita/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

• Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    very nice thumb.gif a crop maybe in order. It says human body.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    twinbnj wrote:
    very nice thumb.gif a crop maybe in order. It says human body.

I do like the crop, thanks!

In addition to a crop, should I clone out the horizontal window frame?ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Nice entry, I like the crop also but I think if you cloned out the window frame the body wouldnt look right. Just my 2 cents..
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I agree with Douglas, the window is necessary. It gives perspective to the subject.

Sunita
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Does anyone know how to link to the EXIF since the "new" smugmug came to town? I can't seem to locate the link anymore. headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I really love your image...his smooth baby skin, his ribs showing, the contrast, the texture of the drapes. Love it.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    I really love your image...his smooth baby skin, his ribs showing, the contrast, the texture of the drapes. Love it.

wow thanks amy, for your comments. the little rib shadows in this one were what made me choose it over the others i took then.

btw, i've really enjoyed perusing your site this evening. you have a really great eye.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    I, too, spent some time checking out your site. A lot of it feels nicely different to me. On your baby page I especially like your baby on the dark little table and your fuzzy haired babe peeking up w/ one eye. Very artistic.:cool
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    What a lovely evocative photo. You've captured a moment that most mom's and grandmother's have experienced. My granddaughter managed the escape once or twice but I was so busy chasing her I didn't even think to give some moments of freedom while I reached for my camera!! I'm so glad you did with your little one. clap.gifclap

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    What a lovely evocative photo. You've captured a moment that most mom's and grandmother's have experienced. My granddaughter managed the escape once or twice but I was so busy chasing her I didn't even think to give some moments of freedom while I reached for my camera!! I'm so glad you did with your little one. clap.gifclap

Virginia

thanks virginia! funny, if i wasn't already pondering the challenge in my head i probably wouldn't have been so cool about it myself! what a selfish mom i am! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 20, 2007
    Holy crap! I knew my image would not make the cut as the typical judging here is often too obtuse to read anything past the tip of the nose into an image, but the fact that you didn't is disturbing to say the least. Bummer, this was the best iamge by far.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    ...obtuse to read anything past the tip of the nose into an image, but the fact that you didn't is disturbing to say the least.
    I may be obtuse, but what does that make you for posting this kind of crap comment in someone else's photo thread?

seriously, chad, grow up.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Bummer, this was the best iamge by far.

Thanks Chad! That's really nice of you to say so. Maybe next time I'll make the cut! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I may be obtuse, but what does that make you for posting this kind of crap comment in someone else's photo thread?

seriously, chad, grow up.

I never said, "DoctorIt" is obtuse". A bit touchy are we?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I was also sad to not make the cut on this challenge. Some of the chosen photo's for this challenge definatly make it the most disagreeable to me to so far. Usually I agree almost completly on the photo's chosen but for this challenge there are a few I think were overlooked that were posted by others that didn't make it.

That being said I suppose that is what is going to happen when we all have different tastes and im sure someone would say the same thing about the pictures I would choose so while I disagree with the chosen I respect their choices. And will probably still vote since a photo I did really like made it in. Ive hosted a photo contest before and it can get tuff choosing photos especially with so many there.

And now that I rambled on completly in your thread urbanaries I would like to say I really enjoyed your image as well! Next time we'll get 'em. ;)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I knew my image would not make the cut as the typical judging here is often too obtuse

rolleyes1.gif Oy vey man, we're all tired of this crap, truth. This is an inflammatory, childish statement. If you don't like it, you're free to go elsewhere. But beating on the impartial, volunteer staff, which is randomized over time, is just that: beating, whinging, moaning, wah wah wah.

Seriously, you elevate the photography around here immensely but your maturity level with this other stuff just totally gets in the way.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I never said, "DoctorIt" is obtuse". A bit touchy are we?
    Chad, sometimes I feel like the person writing your posts isn't the same person taking your photos. headscratch.gif

FWIW and FTR, you should all have noticed that there was a slight rule change 2 challenges ago, and that a mod other than me was doing co-judging, and that rather than discussing via multiple PM's, each judge submitted a list to me. I tabulated the finalists based on these lists. This has had the intended effect - a slightly different take on the finalists in the last two challenges.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Oy vey man, we're all tired of this crap, truth. This is an inflammatory, childish statement. If you don't like it, you're free to go elsewhere.....beating on the impartial, volunteer staff, which is randomized over time, is just that: beating, whinging, moaning, wah wah wah.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Chad, sometimes I feel like the person writing your posts isn't the same person taking your photos. headscratch.gif

I'm going to have to ask you mods to keep the comments in my thread about the photography! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

FWIW and FTR, you should all have noticed that there was a slight rule change 2 challenges ago, and that a mod other than me was doing co-judging, and that rather than discussing via multiple PM's, each judge submitted a list to me. I tabulated the finalists based on these lists. This has had the intended effect - a slightly different take on the finalists in the last two challenges.
    In no way was I singling out anyone in particular. It's really a comment about the entire community as it's the community that really directs the selection of finalists. In both the selection of the top 10 and the voting for the eventual winner there is a clear trend of choosing only the most literatal and obvious interpretations on a theme. This is often at the expense of more technically savvy images. In no way am I upset with the perception of my own images as I am usually dead set on submitting images that attempt to stretch the definition of a given topic, but in this instance I found the omission of Lynnes image to be rather confusing.

It's true that I can be rather inflammatory in my choice of language and often it is deemed to be unacceptable here. That's unfortunate for me because I love what this place offers and it has, without a doubt, been the catalyst in my development as a photographer. The challenges in particular have been incredibly important in my learning curve. If it seems I don't appreciate the efforts of the mods it is my own fault for that is far from the truth. In my own convoluted and misinterpreted way I am trying do push the development of the forum in the same way the forum pushes us as photographers.

I've always been rather blunt in my assessment and critiques of the world around me and here it's no different. For better or worse it is who I am. I'm not trying to incite riots with my perspectives, just voicing my opinions. When critical thought is deemed inappropriate there is something wrong. My statement here was not antagonistic or profane, rather it was an honest critique of what to me seems to be a weakness in the challenges. The higher the standards dgrin can hold to the challenge entry evaluations the better it is for all participants. We are all here to learn and if the challenges are not indicative of only the best images it undermines that process.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    We're doing our best, and planning on doing better. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    We're doing our best, and planning on doing better. nod.gif
    Better or bigger? :D