Options

pricing for limited rights-managed usage

photographybyvictoriaphotographybyvictoria Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited May 29, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
hello!
new here.....i have just converted to professional and concentrate on infant, newborns, kids.....along those lines.
My webdesigner used some of my photos in another job he had and the client loved them & wants to buy the rights to them for use on their website & credit me & link my website to theirs. I wasnt planing on it....but now that the opportunity has come it could really help me out with some cashflow for my biz.
I know price is subjective...but i dont want to undersell my stuff either.
I have the model release forms done & a contract saying they can only use them for the purpose in which i stated & no other....just need to figure out a price.
Any idea what a range would be? I priced an image from getty out and it said it would be $800. an image.
Thanks for any help you can offer this newbie!
Thanks so much!!
Victoria
www.photographybyvictoria.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Have you read through this?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Hi David!
    Yes, i did read that! I know pricing is subjective.........
    was just wondering if their were any sort of guidelines...
    thanks for the response!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Hi David!
    Yes, i did read that! I know pricing is subjective.........
    was just wondering if their were any sort of guidelines...
    thanks for the response!

Yeah, well, I'm not qualified to answer your real question. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    That is pretty much the answer i have been getting :)
    guess there arent any & I should just pic a number!
    thanks anyhow!
    :)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    I've paid as little as $99 for unlimited use and as much as $30,000 for regional use for a specific time period (2 years).

Why not ask your web designer how much he/she has paid for stock images in the past and use that as a guideline?

Not knowing you, your work or the website in question it's hard to be more specific. If you care to direct me to the site and images in question I'll gladly offer my professional advice based on my experience as a Creative Director.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    Hi Angleo!
    Thanks for your reply!
    The website in question is for a non-profit company that works with families of premies to help them deal with the road ahead.

My website is www.photographybyvictoria.com and the image in question is the last picture in my portfolio if you scroll all the way to the right....its a baby in a basket. I believe they are going to use a couple others but they havent told me which they'd like to use.

Any advice would be GREATly appreciated!!
    Thanks!

Angelo wrote:
    I've paid as little as $99 for unlimited use and as much as $30,000 for regional use for a specific time period (2 years).

Why not ask your web designer how much he/she has paid for stock images in the past and use that as a guideline?

Not knowing you, your work or the website in question it's hard to be more specific. If you care to direct me to the site and images in question I'll gladly offer my professional advice based on my experience as a Creative Director.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Angelo wrote:

Hi Angelo,

I'm in the same boat as Victoria. I was just contaced by a non-profit (environmental) agency for the use of one of my photos as the cover for one of their magazines. They're also interested in using other photos for future projects. I'm fairly comfortable pricing printed and framed works of mine but am not sure how to get started with the publishing end.

Asking them how much they've charged for stock images is a great idea and I will do that. But is there anything else I need to consider?

:help
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I can't give you a price but I would be cautious about using Getty prices as a yardstick. In the stock photo world they are considered the high end, but you can get good pictures with model releases for much much less than $800. In my limited exposure to this world I have also noticed that the purpose of the photo has a big impact on price, and a small website use would usually be much less than a magazine cover (assuming decent distribution numbers).
    Good luck.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    Hi Angleo!
    Thanks for your reply!
    The website in question is for a non-profit company that works with families of premies to help them deal with the road ahead.

My website is www.photographybyvictoria.com and the image in question is the last picture in my portfolio if you scroll all the way to the right....its a baby in a basket. I believe they are going to use a couple others but they havent told me which they'd like to use.

Any advice would be GREATly appreciated!!
    Thanks!

that's a great photo!

have you asked your web designer how much she has paid for images in the past?

firstly, you NEVER sell your rights, you simply sell usage. How much you sell the usage for is based on many factors.

How much do you need to earn for this usage? You're new to pro photography? Exposure would be a beneficial marketing tool? Then price on the lower end, require credit be posted on (or near) the image (specify size and placement) and spell out the limitations of usage in the terms of the agreement (sales receipt). ex: for use on website, one placement only, term: 2 years, renewable by written consent 30 days prior to expiration of agreement... etc etc.

Never assume client knows what NOT to do. In your agreement you must be very clear about how they MAY use the image and how they may NOT use the image.

edit: don't be swayed by "non-profit". non-profit does not mean "no budget"
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Halliday wrote:

Hey Halliday, I tried this link and it is broken.

I was contacted by a bride of mine (haven't shot her wedding yet, but I have done her engagement shots).

She works for a non profit agency and wants to hire me to do a shoot in a healthcare setting, and hand over the CD of images. She "figured this would be like a portrait session, and the standard portrait session rate and CD purchase would apply."

not so fast...I told her those rates were for personal use, and what she described was commercial use. She said ok, and is waiting for a quote.

I am having a tough time working one up. She also knows my portrait prices ($125 for the session, and $150 for the CD) but this is grossly underselling myself for commercial usage. She wants to use the images in print and web, in promotional/advertising/in house materials. She does not need exclusive rights.

I imagine i'd spend two hours shooting, and deliver 35-50 finished images. I don't want to sell myself short, but the exposure might be nice, and she'll likely balk if I try to "milk" her for more cash for essentially the same amount of work from her portrait session.

Any thoughts?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    That link USE to work :)
    Here's another one. For some reason I can't get it to work with Firefox but IE seems fine.

http://www.ozimages.com.au/stockpricing/calculator.asp

Same basic questions. Size, circulation, time of use.

If you don't want to mess with a calulator, I'd say 3x to 5x your normal cost. I wouldn't go less than 3x.

PS, on your website, this page

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/1993641

is messed up.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.