edited March 14, 2007 in People
129468997-L.jpg

129470184-L.jpg

And my favorite:
129046841-L.jpg

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    These are all nice captures - nice use of existing light to get them. I think that the first one is my favorite. I like the off center composition and the soft lighting in that one.

What were your settings on these? What ISO were they shot at?
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    These are all nice captures - nice use of existing light to get them. I think that the first one is my favorite. I like the off center composition and the soft lighting in that one.

What were your settings on these? What ISO were they shot at?

First one was off center like that because I cropped out a music stand that I did not like the look of.

Rebel XTi / Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L
    Shutter 1/60
    Aperture F/2.8
    ISO 800
    Focal Length 200mm

My problem taking these shots is that it always seemed like one portion of the stage had too much light!
    edited March 14, 2007
    Dang It! I knew you were going to tell me that you were using a lens that I do not currently have nor can afford presently! :D

Thanks for the settings - these look great for ISO 800 - did you clean them up at all with some noise reduction software?
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited March 14, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Dang It! I knew you were going to tell me that you were using a lens that I do not currently have nor can afford presently! :D

Thanks for the settings - these look great for ISO 800 - did you clean them up at all with some noise reduction software?

I processed these with Lightroom I believe and I do not recall doing anything beyond what the default would be. I'm not at home or I'd check for you. I generally don't do any NR unless I absolutely have to.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    nice shots. I know what you mean re the lighting at those things. I would have gone darker than you did, ignored the dark parts and let the highlights be the subject. but then that is just me, you did good.

I use that lens alot shooting music. But last time, it was too long, well, it wasn't too long, but that lens doesn't focus close enough. So lens envy wouldn't be a big problem for me even if I didn't own that lens.

I just couldn't focus it on the people I wanted as close as I was (I get as close as possible, sit on steps, the floor, etc.). So, my mind gathered wool, as I tried to figure out how to solve my focusing problem for that evening.

I ended up using what is my macro lens, but it is 100mm and is 2.8 (canon), and it worked fine. But I have ordered a "filler" lens for my "collection". I have never had a "normal" type lens, haven't wanted one. But due to that jazz thing I shot, I ordered a Tamron 28-75, I think it is. I know that lens will get lots of use. I often use an L Canon lens, too, the 16-35, but my better shots are usually with a lens longer than that. (I am really close, or I have been so far)

I shoot at higher ISOs than that and it works in that lighting. I don't know why it does, but it does. I go to 3200. And -2 EC. And last time that was not enough, so I shot anyway, and I got some shots, lots, that I like.

so baurman, just go with it, whatever works that you have.

and, mrcoons, really cool shooting there!!! ginger (fun isn't it!)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited March 14, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    I processed these with Lightroom I believe and I do not recall doing anything beyond what the default would be. I'm not at home or I'd check for you. I generally don't do any NR unless I absolutely have to.

Well these are good examples of what can be accomplished at ISO800 then if they were not cleaned up at all...........good work. A lot of that comes from the fact that you properly exposed them if the first place in my opinion. Proper exposures keep the noise a bit more "in check"..............
    edited March 14, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    nice shots. I know what you mean re the lighting at those things. I would have gone darker than you did, ignored the dark parts and let the highlights be the subject. but then that is just me, you did good.

I use that lens alot shooting music. But last time, it was too long, well, it wasn't too long, but that lens doesn't focus close enough. So lens envy wouldn't be a big problem for me even if I didn't own that lens.

I just couldn't focus it on the people I wanted as close as I was (I get as close as possible, sit on steps, the floor, etc.). So, my mind gathered wool, as I tried to figure out how to solve my focusing problem for that evening.

I ended up using what is my macro lens, but it is 100mm and is 2.8 (canon), and it worked fine. But I have ordered a "filler" lens for my "collection". I have never had a "normal" type lens, haven't wanted one. But due to that jazz thing I shot, I ordered a Tamron 28-75, I think it is. I know that lens will get lots of use. I often use an L Canon lens, too, the 16-35, but my better shots are usually with a lens longer than that. (I am really close, or I have been so far)

I shoot at higher ISOs than that and it works in that lighting. I don't know why it does, but it does. I go to 3200. And -2 EC. And last time that was not enough, so I shot anyway, and I got some shots, lots, that I like.

so baurman, just go with it, whatever works that you have.

and, mrcoons, really cool shooting there!!! ginger (fun isn't it!)

I did some darker versions of some but they don't appeal to my customers (since none ever sell!) so I don't do much of it.

The posted photos were all crops of varying degree. All were shot in 'manual' which was my first attempt at manual (so I had a few throw aways!) and I shot a number of them at 1600.

I was in a venue were I was not comfortable moving around much so I did not shoot much with my 85mm f/1.8 lens like I had planned. I have used my Tamron 28-75 at events like these and have always been pleased with it. I had left it home that night as I wanted to force myself to work with the 85mm and the 70-200mm, as they were new at the time. I prefer to move around but wasn't comfortable doing it in a dark unfamilar place with a fairly new lens around my neck! :D
    edited March 14, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Well these are good examples of what can be accomplished at ISO800 then if they were not cleaned up at all...........good work. A lot of that comes from the fact that you properly exposed them if the first place in my opinion. Proper exposures keep the noise a bit more "in check"..............
    I'll try to remember to check when I get home and see if I did anything to them or not. I need to open Lightroom when I get home anyway to input my license key (just got off the phone with Adobe, but that's another story) so I'll take another look at them.

I was fairly happy with these exposures for my first attempt to shoot manual. (Had always shot 'P' before.)

Edit:

Nope, no noise reduction was done on any of them.