Options

Challenge #84 Sleeping Eyes

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited February 16, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all,

Here are two possibilities I am working on for this challenge. Input appreciated.

Sleeping Eye #1
129561232-M.jpg

Sleeping Eye #2
129561273-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    #1 with out a doubt, i just wish the tip of the nose was not cropped out
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    #1 with out a doubt, i just wish the tip of the nose was not cropped out

I agree but it was difficult to compose in the dark ;) Plus, she threw a punch about 2 shots after that one, I don't think she appreciatted the flash. I dared not try again tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    any other thoughts?
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Really like the first one and can't add more to the comment already made. This can stand on its own as is. The focus, overall treatment, lighting, and subject matter all work. I understand why you do not want to re-shoot!!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    twinbnj wrote:
    Really like the first one and can't add more to the comment already made. This can stand on its own as is. The focus, overall treatment, lighting, and subject matter all work. I understand why you do not want to re-shoot!!

Thanks!

I may give it one more try tonight. I used my flash turned backwards with a diffuser and it was fairly dark in the room. I really like the lighting but would like to not have her nose cut off! :)
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I may give it one more try tonight. I used my flash turned backwards with a diffuser and it was fairly dark in the room. I really like the lighting but would like to not have her nose cut off! :)

I would wager that even if you did re-shoot, and you didn't snip her nose off, it would not be as strong as the first shot. And no one could explain quite why.

There is just something about "first blush" captures. Its an interesting phenomenon, but trying to make art into perfection overrides everything that makes art unique...the creativity being exercised in fractions of seconds by the creator, coupled with the intangible emotions they arouse in the viewer.

There is a very sweet, intimate quality about the first that gives me a warm feeling inside. Nice entry!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I would wager that even if you did re-shoot, and you didn't snip her nose off, it would not be as strong as the first shot. And no one could explain quite why.

There is just something about "first blush" captures. Its an interesting phenomenon, but trying to make art into perfection overrides everything that makes art unique...the creativity being exercised in fractions of seconds by the creator, coupled with the intangible emotions they arouse in the viewer.

There is a very sweet, intimate quality about the first that gives me a warm feeling inside. Nice entry!

Lynn,

Thank you! After attempting another 're-shoot' last night I was unable to capture the same feeling just as you said. As I look at it more I think it is just right as it is. I am going to make this my final submission I believe.

Kristina
  • Options
    imagin'imagin' Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    #2 ...
    Hi.

I don't want to bring you into confusion. Both takes are very nice.
    But I really want to let you know that on first sight the second image gave me the emotional quiver.
    The abstraction, the contrast between the in-focus and out-of-focus parts, the tones, the peace in the eye-lid.
    So that one has my vote! Good luck.
  • Options
    Ashleighsmommy06Ashleighsmommy06 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Hey!
    Great shots!! I have absolutely no criticisms because I am brand new. In fact, I have a question for you. How did you get your camera to focus in the pitch black like that?

I tried to replicate your shot (it's how I try to learn) and I couldn't get my camera to focus, nor could I see anything through the viewfinder to manually focus. headscratch.gif

As a newbie... I've got a LOT to learn... any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Hey!
    Great shots!! I have absolutely no criticisms because I am brand new. In fact, I have a question for you. How did you get your camera to focus in the pitch black like that?

I tried to replicate your shot (it's how I try to learn) and I couldn't get my camera to focus, nor could I see anything through the viewfinder to manually focus. headscratch.gif

Thanks!

In answer to your question I believe that most dSLR's can either use the flash to help focus (it fires off a pre-flash for the AF assist) or the external flashes have IR that they use for focus assists. If I'm wrong about this someone please correct me!

About the shots, I actually like the 2nd one more, but that's just me! :D
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Hey!

Thanks!

I used my 580ex, swivelled back with a diffuser. It has a light that goes on to help you focus but it was still hard to do. thatt light only flashes on for a second.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    In answer to your question I believe that most dSLR's can either use the flash to help focus (it fires off a pre-flash for the AF assist) or the external flashes have IR that they use for focus assists. If I'm wrong about this someone please correct me!

About the shots, I actually like the 2nd one more, but that's just me! :D

You know at first I liked that one better because it was focused on the eyelashes and eyebrow. then i started to get into the other now I am not sure! I may change it before the end