Options

Self Portrait No. 53

ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
edited February 17, 2007 in People
Self_Portrait_No__53_by_scottmcleod.jpg

I honestly have no clue how many self-portraits I've done, but 53 was a nice number.

Inspired by Christopher Walken ( http://image.pathfinder.com/Life/eisies/eisies2000/images/newEssay8big.jpg ), this portrait was shot with a home-built Ring Light that I made today using 10 - 150w fluorescent daylight balanced bulbs.

Only 4 bulbs were used, 2 on direct opposite horizontal sides of the ring.

The ring itself has 10 lights, arranged in a circle roughly 50cm in diameter.
- Scott
http://framebyframe.ca
[Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
[Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
[Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
[Tripod]
Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
[Head] 484RC2, 200RC2

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    That is one scarey photo of Christopher Walken!!! I can't imagine anyone wanting to attempt that shot! Yours is no where near as scarey!!!! Maybe it's because you're so much younger than he is that you can get away using such harsh lighting. :D I would be curious to see the catch-lights you would have if you had used all the bulbs in your circular light fixture. Interesting experiment!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    That is one scarey photo of Christopher Walken!!! I can't imagine anyone wanting to attempt that shot! Yours is no where near as scarey!!!! Maybe it's because you're so much younger than he is that you can get away using such harsh lighting. :D I would be curious to see the catch-lights you would have if you had used all the bulbs in your circular light fixture. Interesting experiment!

Yeah, I don't have the 50 year old weathered skin to be able to pull it off.

Ask, and ye-shall recieve!

Self_Portrait_No__52_by_scottmcleod.jpg

All 10 lights.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    The added light pretty much wipes out detail on the skin (I could go with that!) and is a much softer look. Were you at the same distance, etc? Kind of makes for spooky eyes! Thanks for the demo...have fun with your new set up! :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007

All 10 lights.
    the 10 "sided" catch-light is pretty darn cool nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Gawd...I am so ugly, I'd break my cam if I tried a shot like that.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    The added light pretty much wipes out detail on the skin (I could go with that!) and is a much softer look. Were you at the same distance, etc? Kind of makes for spooky eyes! Thanks for the demo...have fun with your new set up! :D

Thanks! I plan on making a few more of these, in strip-with-reflector-form for full-length dancer shots.

The soft effect of all 10 is something I want to try with some glam-style shots.

I was a little further back for the full 10. I was trying to get up close for the 4, to give more (as my lighting teacher calls it) "sexy" side lighting.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Gawd...I am so ugly, I'd break my cam if I tried a shot like that.

I disagree. You did it in your icon.

Everyone's got their own style of "look" we just happen to all hate our own, since we're photographers. It's natural. We don't like being in front of the camera.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I disagree. You did it in your icon.

Everyone's got their own style of "look" we just happen to all hate our own, since we're photographers. It's natural. We don't like being in front of the camera.

I really like your take on the matter. I always thought it was just me but I'm comforted knowing that many photographers dislike being on that side of the lens. :D

I also think the original portrait of Christpher Walken is frightening, but I think yours came out very well and I am loving the full ring of bulbs as catchlights.
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    What a great shot!!! Amazing eyes!!! Great job!!!!clap.gif
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I really like your take on the matter. I always thought it was just me but I'm comforted knowing that many photographers dislike being on that side of the lens. :D

I also think the original portrait of Christpher Walken is frightening, but I think yours came out very well and I am loving the full ring of bulbs as catchlights.

I agree! I don't like how I look in front of a camera.

I really like the 10 lights in a circle. It gives a catchlight style that you don't see very often. Nice work!!
  • Options
    BillyVerdenBillyVerden Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Great shot, i guess we aren't going to get a view of your home built light ring?

I for one would be interested in seein' it. If its not a trade secret of course. Lol.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    the 10 "sided" catch-light is pretty darn cool nod.gif
    Agreed. Very nice effect.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Great shot, i guess we aren't going to get a view of your home built light ring?

I for one would be interested in seein' it. If its not a trade secret of course. Lol.

Ask and Ye Shall Recieve...

dsc00008.jpg

dsc00009.jpg

dsc00010.jpg

dsc00011.jpg

Man, my studio is a mess right now.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    A very interesting light.

It looks like you get a lot of light cast off to the side to reflect back into your images.

Have you thought about constructing a circular shade/hooded reflector around the outside of your ring of lights to help reflect the light forward only and to diminish any reflected sidelighting? Either heavy construction paper or even thin sheet metal, perhaps.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    that light is impressive! thanks for illustrating.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    This is very cool!

I like the first image, it's very striking.

And that light set-up is neat.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BillyVerdenBillyVerden Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Oh Wow. That is awesome. Thanks for posting it. I just may have to try something like that. Of course you can retain the patent rights. Lol. Thanks for letting us see it. Its cool.