access to your own originals...

ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited February 14, 2007 in SmugMug Support
am i missing a setting or a gallery customization...?

as owner of my galleries, i'd like access to my own original pics without having to set the relevant gallery to have originals accessible by all or by buying my own digital downloads.

i'm sure it's something simple i've missed along the way.... :scratch

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    am i missing a setting or a gallery customization...?

as owner of my galleries, i'd like access to my own original pics without having to set the relevant gallery to have originals accessible by all or by buying my own digital downloads.

i'm sure it's something simple i've missed along the way.... headscratch.gif
    Nope, it's nothing you've missed.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    dang! would have thought that would be a fairly forefront feature really, i'm an analyst/programmer/dba/webdude by trade and not sure how something like this wouldn't have been set to a simple credential based variable right from the start... very odd. ne_nau.gif

anyhoo, so is there a consensus on what's the "easiest" way to get at your originals?

1. set gallery to view originals, get pics you want, set back to non-originals.
    2. set price of DD to .01 and buy it then set it back.
    3. copy and move image to private gallery which allows originals (made another thread specific to this issue)
    4. always upload 2 albums, a public one and a private one.
    5. .....?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    dang! would have thought that would be a fairly forefront feature really, i'm an analyst/programmer/dba/webdude by trade and not sure how something like this wouldn't have been set to a simple credential based variable right from the start... very odd. ne_nau.gif

anyhoo, so is there a consensus on what's the "easiest" way to get at your originals?

1. set gallery to view originals, get pics you want, set back to non-originals.
    2. set price of DD to .01 and buy it then set it back.
    3. copy and move image to private gallery which allows originals (made another thread specific to this issue)
    4. always upload 2 albums, a public one and a private one.
    5. .....?

How about use AlbumFetcher?
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47160

ne_nau.gif
    edited February 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:

i'll check it out, thanks!

in the meantime i think i'm hatching another idea............. mwink.gif
    edited February 14, 2007
    ok, now as is nature i often log on to various computers around wherever for extended periods, which is kinda why i want the "backup" feature idea of all my pics on smugmug so i always have access to them... i mean, so much of my daily needs are available right through my browser now, this is a logical extension....

anyhoo, when you buy a digital download, does that link stay valid forever? are there any links within your control panel/whatever to show all the stuff you've bought?

so, let's say these links do stay valid forever... when i make an album perhaps it might be useful to set them all to $0.01c to buy the original and buy them all before setting up for public prices, even if it costs $5 for an album (that money goes mostly to me anyhoo doesn't it? hello laundering! :p ), if i can go direct to a pre-purchased download rather than have to spend 10 minutes fartarsing around trying to do copy/move stuff/whatever then i've already saved that much in my personal time.

daft idea? rolleyes1.gif:D