Options

Customizing your site ...

{JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
edited January 20, 2005 in SmugMug Support
We have always had some hooks in the site for CSS that pros can use to manipulate; but never had a section pointing it out. So Baldy whipped up a nice one that you can use to help get you going:

http://smugmug.com/help/custom-colors

We will be adding (and in some cases changing) more classes and tricks in the future to make customzing easier. Have any more ideas that would make it easier? Let's hear them!

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Very cool. I also like how the official name of that help section is "Adding Bling." Green hair, adding bling, now all you guys need to do is get P. Diddy to sponsor you.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    BTW, I know you guys can't link to it since it belongs to YAHOO, but I can. If you can't remember all those color codes (I'm sure there's some formula, but I don't care to figure it out), here's geocities' color cube
    http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3505/help/colorcube.html
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gif

awesome jt and baldy! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Great work, Smugmug!
    I'm so glad holidays are over:-)clap.gif

Adn if you keep the pace, you'll get "warehouse" and "image sharing/copying" before I'm back from the Big Easy:-)

Very lovely, thank a lot!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm so glad holidays are over:-)clap.gif

Adn if you keep the pace, you'll get "warehouse" and "image sharing/copying" before I'm back from the Big Easy:-)

Very lovely, thank a lot!thumb.gif

What's 'warehouse' and 'image sharing/copying' ?

Don
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 20, 2005
    BTW, I know you guys can't link to it since it belongs to YAHOO, but I can.
    Hey, that's a cool page!

We honestly don't have heartburn linking to Yahoo. I know Yahoo gets a lot of photo sharing customers but for whatever reason, we just don't hear about them. They must have a completely different customer demographic.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    What I meant is that I thought there would be some issues with you guys linking to a yahoo help page (like copyright or something).
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Sharing and warehouse
    onethumb wrote:
    What's 'warehouse' and 'image sharing/copying' ?

Don
    Those are features I asked almost since the day I signed up for a smugmug account. I think I was talking with Ben mostly..

Both these features have to deal with an "upload once, show many" approach.

The idea being is that all the images are stored only once (as they are now), but various galleries can hold the links to the same image (linking/sharing).
    For instance, a picture of my daughter standing in front of the F-117 can be "shown" in "2004/2004-10", "Events/Oxnard Air Show 2004", "Helen", "Forum postings" and however many other places I decide to link it to.

The "warehouse" was supposed to be a centralized place for those images with a directory-like stucture inside, visible to the owner only. Once image is uploaded to the warehouse, it can be then "published" ("sahred", "linked" in a way described above) to multiple galleries. However, warehouse itself presents an ultimate private stash, image has to have a link in some other gallery to be displayed/shared.

"Copying" feature suggested a temporary workaround in the absense of "linking/sharing". It took advantage of unlimited space:-) and was simply supposed to provide an option of copying images between galleries in addition to moving them, thus again eliminating the need for multiple uploads (which is still a biggest bottleneck in the workflow).

I understand that recently introduced image keywords solve these problems to a degree, allowing some of the functionality. It's a great feature (as is the timeline). However, I still would very much like to see image linking/sharing implemented. Keywords are for searching. Galleries are for storytelling
    Being able to arrange a a gallery in a certain way has its own advantage (that's why albums always come first:-). Being able to upload image once and then "publish" it to different galleries would add a great deal to smugmug flexibility and ease of use.

I also understand that it kinda changes the way you guys deal with images and it's not something what can be done overnight (copying can be, though:-).
    However, I also think that this approach is way more flexible and provides a lot of convenience for the users.

That's it in a nutshell..

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"