continue shopping option

johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
edited February 14, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is it possible to add a 'continue shopping' option when viewing the shopping basket? I often have clients ordering from multiple galleries. Right now, it's a little confusing for them - after adding photos to the cart they are presented with a screen that says 'go back' or 'on to cart'. The confusion is if they choose 'go back' the items will not be added. Once they choose 'on to cart' they don't ever get presented with an option to 'continue shopping' vs. 'check out'. So, they end up placing multiple orders - an order for each gallery and thus pay double in shipping costs.

Is it possible to have a 'continue shopping' option like many on-line shopping carts have? So they can navigate to other galleries and purchase? I know you can just use the back arrows in the web browser or whatever and items will still remain in the shopping cart but that's not intuitive to non web-savy people.

Just a thought!

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Is it possible to add a 'continue shopping' option when viewing the shopping basket? I often have clients ordering from multiple galleries. Right now, it's a little confusing for them - after adding photos to the cart they are presented with a screen that says 'go back' or 'on to cart'. The confusion is if they choose 'go back' the items will not be added. Once they choose 'on to cart' they don't ever get presented with an option to 'continue shopping' vs. 'check out'. So, they end up placing multiple orders - an order for each gallery and thus pay double in shipping costs.

Is it possible to have a 'continue shopping' option like many on-line shopping carts have? So they can navigate to other galleries and purchase? I know you can just use the back arrows in the web browser or whatever and items will still remain in the shopping cart but that's not intuitive to non web-savy people.

Just a thought!
    Hi John,

We already have such an option, or am I not understanding your correctly?
    You want to be able to go back to your galleries from the cart? We call it 'continue browsing' but it does the same thing.

After you add a photo to the cart, and you click on 'back to gallery' the photos are still added to the cart thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Once they choose 'on to cart' they don't ever get presented with an option to 'continue shopping' vs. 'check out'.

Actually, it says continue browsing... would you prefer it said Continue Shopping?

The new cart stuff that bigwebguy is working on should make this tons easier for your customers to keep buying, keep shopping, stay tuned! NO timeframe announced yet on this, but please know it's his #1 project currently.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Actually, it says continue browsing... would you prefer it said Continue Shopping?

The new cart stuff that bigwebguy is working on should make this tons easier, stay tuned! NO timeframe announced yet on this, but please know it's his #1 project currently.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm only guessing but I think it's a workflow thing. The way this screen appears it is almost like you haven't really selected anything to buy yet until you choose sizes - and then you click next and your on the screen to enter mailing/credit info. I think that's what may be causing the confusion - as opposed to when someone buys a cd or book or whatever on-line there isn't the added step of selecting size. Additionally the screen has more options and a different 'feel' than I think people are used to dealing with (works great for people that buy a lot from smugmug and are familiar with it). But typically a user is presented with line items on their order and you basically can update quantities and recalculate and either 'continue browsing/shopping' or 'proceed to checkout'. So because the screen has a different feel to it, I think they're just pushing on with 'NEXT' because they don't know what else to do.

Funny thing is, I've never noticed the 'continue browsing' button before - I'm glad you pointed it out. I'll have to give the whole thing more consideration as this complicates the problem :D You already have the function but for some reason people aren't seeing it or not understanding how to use it.

The only thought right now is that instead of 'NEXT' they be presented with 2 navigation choices:

"Continue Browsing (items will remain in cart)" or "proceed to checkout" both in the same location - wherever you want your navigation buttons to appear.

It's only been a handful of customers that I've noticed do this but I'm not sure how many customers of other users are buying from multiple galleries. Maybe not a big enough problem. But if you're looking at re-doing the interface anyway maybe something to consider.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm only guessing but I think it's a workflow thing. The way this screen appears it is almost like you haven't really selected anything to buy yet until you choose sizes - and then you click next and your on the screen to enter mailing/credit info. I think that's what may be causing the confusion - as opposed to when someone buys a cd or book or whatever on-line there isn't the added step of selecting size. Additionally the screen has more options and a different 'feel' than I think people are used to dealing with (works great for people that buy a lot from smugmug and are familiar with it). But typically a user is presented with line items on their order and you basically can update quantities and recalculate and either 'continue browsing/shopping' or 'proceed to checkout'. So because the screen has a different feel to it, I think they're just pushing on with 'NEXT' because they don't know what else to do.

Funny thing is, I've never noticed the 'continue browsing' button before - I'm glad you pointed it out. I'll have to give the whole thing more consideration as this complicates the problem :D You already have the function but for some reason people aren't seeing it or not understanding how to use it.

The only thought right now is that instead of 'NEXT' they be presented with 2 navigation choices:

"Continue Browsing (items will remain in cart)" or "proceed to checkout" both in the same location - wherever you want your navigation buttons to appear.

It's only been a handful of customers that I've noticed do this but I'm not sure how many customers of other users are buying from multiple galleries. Maybe not a big enough problem. But if you're looking at re-doing the interface anyway maybe something to consider.
    Thanks for the great feedback!