Trip to Puerto Rico

ElenaElena Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 28, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi, all

I am going to Puerto Rico for 5 days sometime in April or May. I have never been, so... Any advice on the best places to go/shoot? As in best beaches, scenery, street shots? Is there a location that's good strategically from which to do day trips? I am planning to rent a car so to be able to go anywhere. Also, does anyone know what the weather is like during those months? Your tips and advice are much appreciated!

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2007
    let's see what we can find for you.
  • CWNCWN Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    Puerto Rico Ideas
    I was there for a week several years ago on a trip put together by Popular Photography, I believe.

Old San Juan is a grat place to photograph. It's where the cruise ships sail into and there are lots of market-place type places as well as beach access and some great architectural stuff (old bulidings and brightly painted homes).

New San Juan is probably where you'll want to stay in a hotel. There are regular busses that travel from New to Old, so if you don't want to rent a car, you don't have to. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive into Old SJ - it's pretty crowded - I'd take the bus or gear up for a long walk. It's really not that bad. Be VERY careful in OSJ - there are some parts of it that tend to be slummy with homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks. I wouldn't be over the top with gear - bring one camera on a tourist type strap around your neck. Ditch the oversized bags filled with all your lenses. Maybe put a zoom on your camera and stick a shorter lens in a fanny pack.

El Morro is a wonderful photographic opportunity in OSJ.

I was there in April - the weather was very comfortable. Watch out for sunburn - it won't seem that hot - but the rays are more dangerous than they are in the upper US (I'm from Ohio - got a bad burn one of the days).

El Yunque rainforest is a good spot. Arecibo Observatory has some great views as well. I spent most of my time in the North and East portions.
  • ElenaElena Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Thanks so much!
    These are some great suggestions, I will definitely try to explore those areas. I am getting really excited, seems like there are a lot of good photo opportunities. Can't wait!! Thanks again.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Hello All-

I realize that this thread is over three years old so I figure I would give it a bump to see if there are any additional comments. I am going for a biz trip in a couple days; I will most likely only half half-day trips available. I have Arecibo on my list if time permits, any other must see places. At the moment my shots tend toward architecture and landscapes.

Thanks!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Hello All-

I realize that this thread is over three years old so I figure I would give it a bump to see if there are any additional comments. I am going for a biz trip in a couple days; I will most likely only half half-day trips available. I have Arecibo on my list if time permits, any other must see places. At the moment my shots tend toward architecture and landscapes.

Thanks!

If you can get to El Junque National Forest, that's a nice place to shoot tropical landscapes. (It's the only tropical forest in the National Forest system.)

Also, Ponce has some great, crumbling architecture.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Thanks
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact