Can't logout

RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I can't seem to logout. I click on the logout button, but then when it sends me out after 10 secs, I still see all the controls like I'm logged in. I've tried re-logging in, logging out, logging in with the public computer option, logging in from the main smugmug page, logging out at the main smugmug page.

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    Hello Rando,
    It sounds like your browser is confused. Please delete your browser's temp Internet files and cookies. Deleting our cookie should definitely log you out.

Please let us know if this does not correct the issue.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • doug809doug809 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2007
    Same problem for me ...
    I get the same problem from time to time ... but i'd like to minimize how many cookies i have to delete in order to fix the problem.

Can you tell me which cookie specifically needs to be deleted to resolve this when it happens?

Thanks!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    hi Doug, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

Delete the ones that come from smugmug.com
    Most browsers allow you to search for cookies.

You are not using a custom domain by any chance?
    edited July 9, 2007
    thanks ivar .. wow, that was fast, especially at this time of night ;>

i do have a custom domain .... www.dougbatchelor.ca

when i view the cookies/temp files ... there are hundreds of cookies from both my custom domain and smugmug (using IE7) ... i could delete them all to solve the problem and i've done that in the past ... just wondering which one was the single magic cookie to do it?
    :)

thanks again!
    edited July 9, 2007
    I believe the ones that are from smugmug.com and not XXX.smugmug.com are the ones that store entry allowance.
    It is probably going to be more time to look it up and delete that single one. I'd just remove them all. The only thing you may loose as well, is the contents of the cart. As long as you don't have anything in your cart, I don't think there is anything in the cookies that will give you any problems when removing them.

When using a custom domain, make sure you don't use that for logging in/out.
    From our help pages:
    Gotcha: Pro account subscribers who use their own custom hostnames must login and logout using www.smugmug.com or yournickname.smugmug.com

I'm actually in the Netherlands, Europe, so it is a comfortable 9.30am for me :D
    edited July 9, 2007
    the cookies were quite stubborn ... eventually had to delete all of them to get it to work.

I didn't know about that "gotcha" you mentioned regarding logging in via custom domain ... as i've never really had a problem logging in/out via custom domain that i was aware of. But maybe that's what's causing it from time to time ... i'll do it via nickname in future and see if that helps.

Thanks again!
    edited August 26, 2007
    solved it :)
    Hi Ivar,

The problem with being unable to logout cropped up again tonight, but i solved it this time ... thought i'd share in case it helps someone else. :)

I was about to start deleting all the cookies again, but i looked at the 'logout' link and saw it was calling a logout.mg script using a parameter with my custom domain name in the url.

anyways, i just got rid off all the extra stuff and kept the logout.mg part ... then it logged out perfectly.

i.e. http://www.(customdomainhere).com/logout.mg

cheers!
    edited August 26, 2007
    doug809 wrote:
    Hi Ivar,

The problem with being unable to logout cropped up again tonight, but i solved it this time ... thought i'd share in case it helps someone else. :)

I was about to start deleting all the cookies again, but i looked at the 'logout' link and saw it was calling a logout.mg script using a parameter with my custom domain name in the url.

anyways, i just got rid off all the extra stuff and kept the logout.mg part ... then it logged out perfectly.

i.e. http://www.(customdomainhere).com/logout.mg

cheers!
    Hi Doug,

The logout link should always be using the SmugMug domain. Do you have a link for us where you saw it was using the custom domain?