Options

Retro Look

vandecarrvandecarr Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited February 24, 2007 in People
Hi,

I have been experimenting for quite a while to get that 60's and 70's look.

Here are two examples of my best efforts so far and I would like to know if you think they have the look or if you think I need to go back to the drawing board?

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'm looking forward to your input.

Thanks,
Mike V

Comments

• Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    jhgcfdjrgdfc

Mike
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    In my humble opinion, I think you are on the right track. They just seem a little bit bright. In the older pix I've seen, lighting always seemed a bit muted, along with the color saturation. Also, I'd back off on the yellow a bit and bump up the green.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Thanks,

I'm glad you pointed that out I will go back and fix it then repost the same two pics here in the new way.

Hopefully you'll give some more constructive critisizm then.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I'm nowhere near any good at photoshop, but I made a couple of adjustments to this photo to see if I could get it closer to what looks like a 1960's pic to me. This is the best I could do. I lowered the brightness a bit, desaturated it a little, added a litte bit of noise, and added a very light green filter. I realize you didn't ask for this, but it was a challenge for myself.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Okay, I think I finally go it, on my quest to replicate a 60's or 70's looking photo.

It looks extremely believable in snap shots I've still to experiment with it on portraits.

What do you think?

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike V
  • Options
    zephyrzarzephyrzar Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2007
    I think the photo of just the girl that was noisy looked more 60/70 than the others. I think for what she is wearing, the look of the shirt, the colors and her hair have that 60's 70's look. The others I think would work better if not for the items in the photos. Wasn't sure if you were trying to have the look or just appear that way. Other than that, really cute kids. I personally love having that look of 60's and 70's. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:
    44 views and no reply...It's a simple yes or no guys?

Mike
    Says something doesn't it?
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Cheers,
    Mike V
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:

What do you think?

3.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike V
    I very much like the vignetting on this one. I think you have something , here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:
    Yeah, it does.

It tells me not to ask questions here about things that actually make me money on a daily basis.

The thread was going to lead up to me giving away, FREE, an action for photoshop that does so many different things with one click and is so ground breaking that several image developers have contacted me to licence it to them.

BUT....I will now only share it with CarnalSigh. If you're interested, send me a quick pm with an email address to send it to.

I'll send you the fully operational prototype.

Cheers,
    Mike V
    Darn I'd been watching this thread and was about to reply but based on the tone in this post im not going to now!
    Which is a shame as my reply would of led to me giving away, FREE(some people dont know what give away means so I added FREE in caps for the thickos) a secret way of earning over $4000 a month for only a couple of hours work a week! Its so revolutionary that I have been contacted by MR TRUMP who wants this secret!

BUT... now im going to keep it to myself, if your interested send me a PM with an email and I will send it to you(Yes I know I just said I wont share it and then told you I WOULD share it! confused? I am)

I will then send it you.

Seeya

:D
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    Thanks, the final version is completed. It includes so much stuff it would take to long to type it all here.

I will tell you about a few things that I really like about it though.

It's not like a typical action, it gives you several different results. Some are adjustable while others have been made to work on nearly any image by actually reading the image and making the proper adjustments.

BUT...the 70's retro imagemaker, which is my presonal favorite has been tweaked to the hilt.

It now gives you that thin white border found on most of the eras photos as well as that strange matte finish they had.

I wanted to give a few people the action for FREE to get some feedback from people other then technicians. It will be available along with some storyboard templates and a few other extras in the near future for around $75 BUT........

I will happily give you a fully operational version if you like. Just send me a PM with an email address and I'll send it to you.

All I ask is that you come back here and post your thoughts on it and maybe post an image you use it on.

Cheers,
    Mike V
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    Mike V
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    Darn I'd been watching this thread and was about to reply but based on the tone in this post im not going to now!

headscratch.gif Dude, you did reply.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    JCDoss wrote:
    headscratch.gif Dude, you did reply.

I meant a reply about his conversions!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Says something doesn't it?

I don't know who you are but we try to keep a friendly / positive atmosphere here at dgrin, if you want to offer criticism that's fine but please do so in a constructive way. thank you.
  • Options
    MuneioMuneio Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    My ridiculously good PS action
    Well.. then I'm not going to share my really, really ridiculously good looking 40's & 50's photoshop action either! so there.wings.gif

Kidding
    cheers Bill
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    Derrick Zoolander....I chalange you to a walk off......

Mike V
  • Options
    MuneioMuneio Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Your on Hansel!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:
    The offer for the free imagemaker is for anyone except the smart a s ses who have already posted their ignorance.

Mike V
    :nah decidedly NOT the Dgrin way.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Uhm,
    vandecarr wrote:
    The thread was going to lead up to me giving away, FREE, an action for photoshop that does so many different things with one click and is so ground breaking that several image developers have contacted me to licence it to them.

Cheers,
    Mike V

Say, can it do this?
    89402891-L.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Nicejob. I really like it. Mine don't do that, though! Was yours done with a sigle click of an action you created or is it different for each photo?

It looks like render>clouds and a sepia tone and stuff like that. The bend in the photo looks good too.
    It's really nice.

Anyway, does this tickle your fancy? It's not mine but it is a one click thing that looks nice.

7_1.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike V
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Mike,
    Thank you!

Neat effect, I agree:-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    I smell big fat smelly doodoo. :) And I think i stepped on it. :ivar

Oh and I was leaving a long diatribe about your last post but it got deleted waaay to quick.

I have 3 words google......is.......free.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers