Options

Ch 84, body on body of water

ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited February 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi,
I'm new to this challenge thing. but I took a picture with a human body in it at a surf contest this weekend. Lame?
http://ascip.smugmug.com/gallery/2472675/1/129694698#129694698-L-LB
I'm nervous about poking my head out here, you guys are all so good.

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I like the subject, and the shot a lot but I'm not crazy about the colors, I think messing around a little with color temps and what not, just a suggestion.

The B&W is nice too but I think this one needs to be in color. Besides the "subject" is underexposed.

Do you use photoshop to edit your photos?

PS: try to put the images into the post, it's easier that way.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Hi,
    thanks. I do have Photoshop CS2. I think maybe I should stick to lurking.
    :-)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    ASkip wrote:
    Hi,

Now, now! Congrats on delurking. Stick around and play with the big boys. Don't let one comment scare you back into the closet.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    ASkip wrote:
    Hi,

Hey now, none of that. I'm just trying to help. You should see the images I started out with. C&C (Comment & Critique) is the best way to learn. I know I'm still learning, which is why I joined this contest.

So stay de-lurked, and don't take any comments as a slight to your art =c)
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Hey now, none of that. I'm just trying to help. You should see the images I started out with. C&C (Comment & Critique) is the best way to learn. I know I'm still learning, which is why I joined this contest.

So stay de-lurked, and don't take any comments as a slight to your art =c)

thanks. There's another surf contest this weekend, I'll try to get a better shot. I didn't like the color in the other one either, but I can't seem to fix it.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    ASkip wrote:
    thanks. There's another surf contest this weekend, I'll try to get a better shot. I didn't like the color in the other one either, but I can't seem to fix it.
    Thanks.

If i was you, I would make this image B&W or tinted, but try to lighten up the face and other parts of the surfer.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    My two very rookies cents:

For that pic, it looks like the large spray behind the surfer has the same problem as shooting snow (easy to overexpose all that "white" and lose detail). I would try lowering the exposure comp a bit to reduce the amount of light coming into the shot from all that white.

I'd also look for a surfer in a color that has better contrast with the water...too much blue...a different (bolder) colored wet suit would really stand out.
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    With a shot like that, you really shouldn't be lurking!

I really like the geometry of the athletic form you've captured. Reminds me of the famous classical Greek sculpture of a discus thrower.

As far as the color cast, here's one thing to try: Open a new curves adjustment layer. Click on the white eyedropper and then click on a part of the wave that you would like to be white--this is most likely the part to the left and slightly above the surfer's head. This should reset the white point and remove some of the blue color cast.

The darkness of the surfer's face is a little bothersome. A little painting on a layer set to overlay mode with the brush set to white and 10-15% opacity could help here.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Oh also, can I recommend if you have the capability and the storage space, that you shoot in RAW? I'm a recent convert and it makes it really easy to fix color issues and the like. I don't use it all the time, but when I think it's gonna be a difficult shot, I definitely turn it on. And since you have PS:CS, it has a built in Raw Handler, so just drag and drop the file into PS.
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Hello ASkip,

Congrats on your recent de-lurking, I am one step behind you in that regard, and am very much a newbie in all other camera-related regards. :)

I like the spray behind the surfer; it brings energy and movement to the shot for me, and makes me want to go get in some warm water. I do hope you will be entering, and best of luck if you do!

happy day,

wren