Options

Outer Banks wedding

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
I was just hired by a colleague of mine to shoot her destination wedding in the Outer Banks. I have shot a beach wedding before (in florida, also some outdoor portraits in california) but not the East coast. I looked at some local photogs' sites/pics, they all look windy.

The wedding location is to be the Elizabethan Gardens, the first week of May ('07). From what I understand they are on Roanoke island, on a sound (Oregon inlet?), not the ocean. I don't quite understand the beach vs. sound weather implications. I am not a geography buff. :D

Any experience/advice/photos would be most helpful. Thanks!

lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 15, 2007
    All I can say is that the Wright brothers chose that area many many years ago (Kittyhawk is in the OBX region) for one reason: WIND!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    All I can say is that the Wright brothers chose that area many many years ago (Kittyhawk is in the OBX region) for one reason: WIND!

yeah yeah, maybe I can convince the bride to get her hair plastered to her head and forgo a veil rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Well, usually the sound side in that area is relatively calm. There is a fairly sizeable island between the ocean and Roanoake Island. A sound is much like a large lake, though can get choppier than a lake on very windy days. It is salt water of course.

In that area, in May, it is mild and except for rainy stormy days, wind is minimal. Early spring/late winter is much rougher.

It should be beautiful. It won't be the high season there yet, so traffic and crowds will be minimal as well. Enjoy fresh seafood, be sure to visit Kill Devils Hill where the Wright brothers first flew, and if it is open that early in the season, be sure to go to a showing of the 'Last Colony", a long running, open air theater play of the first settlers in the Americas.
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    wings.gifHello again. You won't be near any of the big water so there's not really much to worry about other than the always possible rain. I believe the gardens that you speak of are fairly sheltered. I live about 2 hours north of there in Virginia Beach. it certainly should be a great change from Indiana. The ocean is about 5 miles east of there and a good place to visit if you get a chance. BS
    headscratch.gif
    cmason wrote:
    Well, usually the sound side in that area is relatively calm. There is a fairly sizeable island between the ocean and Roanoake Island. A sound is much like a large lake, though can get choppier than a lake on very windy days. It is salt water of course.

In that area, in May, it is mild and except for rainy stormy days, wind is minimal. Early spring/late winter is much rougher.

It should be beautiful. It won't be the high season there yet, so traffic and crowds will be minimal as well. Enjoy fresh seafood, be sure to visit Kill Devils Hill where the Wright brothers first flew, and if it is open that early in the season, be sure to go to a showing of the 'Last Colony", a long running, open air theater play of the first settlers in the Americas.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    wings.gifHello again. You won't be near any of the big water so there's not really much to worry about other than the always possible rain. I believe the gardens that you speak of are fairly sheltered. I live about 2 hours north of there in Virginia Beach. it certainly should be a great change from Indiana. The ocean is about 5 miles east of there and a good place to visit if you get a chance. BS
    headscratch.gif

Hey bob, how's it going! I wondered how far/close you'd be to this locale. Thanks for the reassurance, I feel much better. I don't have a weather sealed body so i was nervous about spontaneous sandstorms haha. The gardens look gorgeous and it'll be a nice change of pace, for sure. I surely can't turn free trips down!mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    cmason wrote:

Great info, very helpful! Its nice to know we're in before the high season. I'm definitely looking forward to the seafood, and it sounds like the area is full of things to do (if I have any free time!) Thanks for the recommendations.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    If you end up with free time...

an hour north (north side of Corolla) is a State park with wild horses

25504883-S.jpg

An hour south is Hataras 25504596-S.jpg

Even farther south is Ocracoke 25499433-S.jpg

There is a lot to shoot in the are if you have the time.

My gallery from the area is HERE if you are looking for ideas. If you want to know where any of them were taken let me know.

Have fun.
  • Options
    greendoor imaginggreendoor imaging Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I was just hired by a colleague of mine to shoot her destination wedding in the Outer Banks. I have shot a beach wedding before (in florida, also some outdoor portraits in california) but not the East coast. I looked at some local photogs' sites/pics, they all look windy.

The wedding location is to be the Elizabethan Gardens, the first week of May ('07). From what I understand they are on Roanoke island, on a sound (Oregon inlet?), not the ocean. I don't quite understand the beach vs. sound weather implications. I am not a geography buff. :D

lynne

Elizabeth Garden is great! One location I might suggest is a back gate that opens to the sound ( you may need a key - call and ask) ... It's (as the story goes) where the first people stepped foot in America.... oh wait not counting on the Native Americans, hahah.
    But they also have a gazebo in this location if your are into that kinda of thing. Plus the pathways are nice (shaded).. it will be a cake walk! Also knowing the bride helps.. the town has this historic ship and maybe you could drag her into town (cute town)... But as for the actual outer banks part of it YES its windy ... that could be fun for movement...

Have fun .....
    Erin
    Erin L. Hubbs
    Greendoor Imaging
    "My portraits are more about me than they are about the people I photograph. ~Richard Avedon"
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    coastal Carolina wedding
    check in with Larry Brown, on smugmug. He's in North or South CA., Lives on a boat, and is a local pro, shoot weddings etc.
    shoppix

urbanaries wrote:

lynne
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Erin, Shoppix....thanks much for the tips!!!

i'm looking forward to finding that gate, erin...it sounds like a beautiful spot.

the bride is a close friend so i will be able to talk her into just about anything!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Erin, Shoppix....thanks much for the tips!!!

i'm looking forward to finding that gate, erin...it sounds like a beautiful spot.

the bride is a close friend so i will be able to talk her into just about anything!

Hey, just got back from the wedding, and wanted to thank you guys again for the tips! I would never have known about that secret gate to the open water if I hadn't asked, and these are some of the bride's favorite shots! :D

152871991-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hey, just got back from the wedding, and wanted to thank you guys again for the tips! I would never have known about that secret gate to the open water if I hadn't asked, and these are some of the bride's favorite shots! :D

Hey Lynne!

I hope you share some more in the people forum! This one's a beauty! clap.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey Lynne!

I hope you share some more in the people forum! This one's a beauty! clap.gif

Elaine

Laughing.gif patience my friend!!! The thread is almost ready...four white gowns in fourteen days. Stay tuned! Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Neat shot Lynne! Looks like the weather was gorgeous...can't wait to see the rest. (You have some nice sensor dust in your camera, which you probably already know!).