Febreeze

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited February 18, 2007 in Holy Macro
126920362-L.jpg Playing with the new studio lights...

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I like the DOF in your reflection....what were you using as a surface (mirror, glass?) Lighting looks good!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 15, 2007
    It was shot on a stainless steel stool. You can see it here in the original unprocessed image. 013107_ab_testfebreeze%20original.jpg&
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Playing with the new studio lights...

Wow Truth that looks pretty cool, I too was wondering if it was a mirror.
    Your white background looks great, and still we see the reflection of the bottle at the base, and I can clearly see the entire outline of the bottle including the white nosile, it's not blurred into the white background.

I bet your happy with that clap.gif I would be :D
    Thanks for sharing Truth...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Oh, that' what blurred it so nice and softly! Very effective! thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I know it's just a bottle of Febreeze...but this is such a nice shot! I really like the stainless steel reflection and the lighting is super nice. Can you tell a little bit how you did this? Lights...processing...etc...

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I know it's just a bottle of Febreeze...but this is such a nice shot! I really like the stainless steel reflection and the lighting is super nice. Can you tell a little bit how you did this? Lights...processing...etc...

Elaine
    Thanks!

The lighting was the deal here. IT was the first image I worked on with my new toys: 3 AB800 strobes, an octobox, reflector, white paper backdrop and assorted stands. I had one AB800 in the octobox above and to the left pretty much next to the camera. Another AB800 on a boom above and behind the bottle with a 40 degree grid on it. The third AB800 was behind and below the stool with a backdrop shield that reflected all of that strobes light onto the backdrop.

Getting the lighting dialed in was trial and error but basic concepts apply. The backdrop light was a few stops hotter than the octobox and the hiarlight was adjusted to give just the right amount of fill over the shoulders of the bottle.

Post work was pretty basic. I used a few layer masks to blur the background and reflection. That hid the details and scratches on the SS stool. Then I used the healing brush to further blend the edge of the stool into the blown out white backdrop.

The whole thing was practice for a product shoot I knew I had coming up for my fiancee's salon advertisements. You can see that image in the Whipping Post. I was just trying to get a feel for the set up with the Febreeze bottle. In the WP image I actually used a sheet of clear plexiglass sitting atop a piece of the white background paper because I did not want much of a reflection at all and wanted to make it easier to blend the surface with the background. Studio lighting seems to be a big science project that requires a bit of ingenuity to use whatever is at hand to get the effect you desire. It's frustrating and fun so far.
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Lighting looks good. Good use of tools or should I say stool around the house.
    truth wrote:
    It was shot on a stainless steel stool. You can see it here in the original unprocessed image.
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams