Options

A year in Tajikistan

luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Cameras
Hey everyone, remember me?

Well I did 81 days in Qatar and got some pictures. Well, more like snapshots. That's fine. It was just to prove that I was there.

Now I am going to do one year in Tajikistan. It is time for me to get one camera and one lens to have 99% of the time. If I take two lenses I may as well do seven. The key is portability.

I am considering a Nikon D200, 18-200, 8gb cf card and an extra battery. Most shooting will be outside. I expect no concert shots or need for a 200-400 or other equipment. Once again a key factor is portability.

Usually I shoot Canon but I worry about taking L glass to that part of the world. Also I do not wish to take my Pelican case of lenses. I wish this to look like an "Oh let me just grab my camera" moment. I'm not there to be a Nat Geo shooter, but then again this is Tajikistan. I expect to get out to Istanbul and Moscow as well as many other places.

Is the D200 and 18-200 a fair combo? Anything else to consider? Also how may I find if there is a market out there for these images? In a year I can shoot 50,000 easy.

Comments

• Options
    methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    the 18-200 is a good all rounder lens, but i think it's lacking in low light, so it really depends on what style of shooting you do.

personally, i would go the 17-55 + a 105mm prime for the extra reach (i would say 70-200, but u mentioned portability).

this will allow much greater ease in shooting low light and the quality of the lens is a -lot- better.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 17, 2007
    Absolutely we remember you!

I'm gonna push this over to cameras in the hope others will have some
    advice for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    The 18-200 should work nicely. I also did a one lens trip last year, and took a Sigma 18-125, not once did I look for anything longer.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Is it okay to drudge up an old thread? I opted for the Olympus E3 but soon tired of the layout of the buttons. Not user friendly at all! Dumped it and got a D700 which I just turned into a D3s.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Is it okay to drudge up an old thread? I opted for the Olympus E3 but soon tired of the layout of the buttons. Not user friendly at all! Dumped it and got a D700 which I just turned into a D3s.

Congratulations. That's a pretty nice New Year's present. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    luckyrwe wrote:
    w000t thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?