Options

#84 - Newbie Entry

Ashleighsmommy06Ashleighsmommy06 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is literally one of the first shots I have ever taken with my SLR. I am so new and would LOVE any critiques, suggestions and general comments on what makes this photo poor or ok. Oh... and suggestions on what settings to use to improve it would be great too!
Thanks

IMG_0852-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Great facial expression!
    I like the lighting, nice catch light in the eyes… the shot overall looks soft… probably movement on the baby’s part along with a slow shutter speed… I would like to see the hands in the shot as well as a little more detail in the shadows… As far as settings go… Always use a tripod, shoot in manual mode and try several shutter speed / f stop combinations for the best exposure and depth of field… focus directly on the eye or eyes, at least one eye should be tack sharp try different angles, I would like to see one where your angle is more front on facing the baby but not completely… I like the perspective of the baby looking at something other than the camera…

Winston
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    I like the lighting, nice catch light in the eyes… the shot overall looks soft… probably movement on the baby’s part along with a slow shutter speed… I would like to see the hands in the shot as well as a little more detail in the shadows… As far as settings go… Always use a tripod, shoot in manual mode and try several shutter speed / f stop combinations for the best exposure and depth of field… focus directly on the eye or eyes, at least one eye should be tack sharp try different angles, I would like to see one where your angle is more front on facing the baby but not completely… I like the perspective of the baby looking at something other than the camera…

Winston

Oh thanks so much!!! Those are great tips. I have to say that I am disappointed that I missed the hands and I couldn't seem to get a sharp pic of the baby due to his constant movements. I tried a quicker shutterspeed but things just got too dark (and I hate using flash!).

But these comments were GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

If anybody else has anything to say, it is welcome!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I tried a quicker shutterspeed but things just got too dark (and I hate using flash!).

Hey Ashleighsmommy, this is a great shot, I really like the lighting, how did you set this up w/ the dark background?

What equipment are you using? we may be able to help you get better shutter speeds if we know that.

i shoot natural light children a lot so know all too well how challenging this picture was for ya!

nice job, is this "ashleigh?" iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Thank you for the input!
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hey Ashleighsmommy, this is a great shot, I really like the lighting, how did you set this up w/ the dark background?

What equipment are you using? we may be able to help you get better shutter speeds if we know that.

i shoot natural light children a lot so know all too well how challenging this picture was for ya!

nice job, is this "ashleigh?" iloveyou.gif

Oh thanks! I'm actually embarrassed to tell you what I used to get the dark background! I actually used a black sheet draped down the wall and onto the floor. I then angled a pole lamp in front of his face. Real technical eh??? (I can't believe I just admitted all that!). I then fluked out and adjusted it in PS.

I used a Canon XTi with 17-85mm. I think I had the aperture set to 5.6, the shutterspeed was pretty low... not quite sure cause I've been fooling around with it a lot (I don't quite understand SS). Any tips you have would be MUCHLY appreciated. I took a look at your website and I ADORE your work!!! Ever thought about being a mentor??? Cause I know where you could find an apprentice!! mwink.gif

Oh and no it's not Ash, it's my son Jake! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Oh thanks! I'm actually embarrassed to tell you what I used to get the dark background! I actually used a black sheet draped down the wall and onto the floor. I then angled a pole lamp in front of his face. Real technical eh??? (I can't believe I just admitted all that!). I then fluked out and adjusted it in PS.

I used a Canon XTi with 17-85mm. I think I had the aperture set to 5.6, the shutterspeed was pretty low... not quite sure cause I've been fooling around with it a lot (I don't quite understand SS). Any tips you have would be MUCHLY appreciated. I took a look at your website and I ADORE your work!!! Ever thought about being a mentor??? Cause I know where you could find an apprentice!! mwink.gif

Oh and no it's not Ash, it's my son Jake! iloveyou.gif

no need to be embarrassed, I use white sheets, and velvet curtains all the time, when i need portable backdrops! I also use flokati rugs, throw blankets, anything that has texture, esp. with babies.

I've had the 17-85mm and it is a great lens....EXCEPT in low light! I'd highly recommend getting the $75 Canon 50mm 1.8. You will really enjoy the low light capabilities it awards you, for such a steal of a price. Go get one now!

I have only had an SLR for little over a year so I have no business mentoring anyone else. Just shoot and shoot and shoot some more, and post your work for critique, read how others do it, learn about what equipment does what. You're on the right track!

Look fwd to seeing more!

ETA: "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (try Amazon) is a fantastic, easy to understand book on the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO. With the 50mm 1.8 you'll be able to do the exercises, and grasp the concepts really quickly.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    As I am barely out of newbie status myself, I will just say I agree with urbanaries completely! :D

Welcome to Dgrin and congrats on jumping right into the challenges!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    no need to be embarrassed, I use white sheets, and velvet curtains all the time, when i need portable backdrops! I also use flokati rugs, throw blankets, anything that has texture, esp. with babies.

I've had the 17-85mm and it is a great lens....EXCEPT in low light! I'd highly recommend getting the $75 Canon 50mm 1.8. You will really enjoy the low light capabilities it awards you, for such a steal of a price. Go get one now!

I have only had an SLR for little over a year so I have no business mentoring anyone else. Just shoot and shoot and shoot some more, and post your work for critique, read how others do it, learn about what equipment does what. You're on the right track!

Look fwd to seeing more!

ETA: "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (try Amazon) is a fantastic, easy to understand book on the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO. With the 50mm 1.8 you'll be able to do the exercises, and grasp the concepts really quickly.

Thank you for those great tips! So nice to have a friendly/understanding response!! I will definitely go out and pick up that lens and I have that book on order. I did some research on it and people RAVE about it! Thanks again... I sooooo appreciate the input!
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Don't be embarrassed about using a sheet. I do portraits in peoples' homes all the time with a similar setup. Until I can afford a professional backdrop setup, I went to walmart and bought several yards of black material. I sat at a sewing machine, sewed them together and made my own 15x9 backdrop that works perfectly. It's light and can be easily hung from a wall with painter's tape, thumbtacks or by candles on a shelf. Most of the photos on my site were done with this technique. I use no fancy smancy lighting either. Just available lighting and on camera flash if necessary. So the lamp you pulled over to illuminate your beautiful baby is something I do all the time. If a seam shows up in any shots, a slight contrast adjustment renders it invisible in photoshop. The poor man's mobile photography studio works wonders if you have a little imagination. Necessity is the mother of invention. The idea is to end up with touching, quality photographs that mean something to the client. I'm not embarrassed to say I use the least expensive ways possible to get the photos they want.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Don't be embarrassed about using a sheet. I do portraits in peoples' homes all the time with a similar setup. Until I can afford a professional backdrop setup, I went to walmart and bought several yards of black material. I sat at a sewing machine, sewed them together and made my own 15x9 backdrop that works perfectly. It's light and can be easily hung from a wall with painter's tape, thumbtacks or by candles on a shelf. Most of the photos on my site were done with this technique. I use no fancy smancy lighting either. Just available lighting and on camera flash if necessary. So the lamp you pulled over to illuminate your beautiful baby is something I do all the time. If a seam shows up in any shots, a slight contrast adjustment renders it invisible in photoshop. The poor man's mobile photography studio works wonders if you have a little imagination. Necessity is the mother of invention. The idea is to end up with touching, quality photographs that mean something to the client. I'm not embarrassed to say I use the least expensive ways possible to get the photos they want.

Wow did I breath a sigh of relief after reading this post. My sites are so mickey moused at times but I can still get decent shots so I'm usually ok with it (especially using the magic of photoshop). But then I come on here and get very intimidated by the equipement... wow!!

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I went on your site and your photos are beautiful! They really are breathtaking and I love that softening effect! Very nice!!