Options

Help SmugMug think through XL display puzzles

13»

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Can't Smugmug be any wider?
    Do you refer to bigger image sizes? Then you're in the correct thread. This feature is in the works, but not yet done.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    creativetechguycreativetechguy Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Do you refer to bigger image sizes? Then you're in the correct thread. This feature is in the works, but not yet done.

Sebastian

A wider space will natrually accomodate larger image size better.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2007
    A wider space will natrually accomodate larger image size better.
    Yes and they're working on it - here's an example on what is currently been worked on. There won't be just this huge size, but also intermediate sizes to accompany it. If you feel like reading more about the feature check this this thread, where I also pulled the example from.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GarethLewinGarethLewin Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Now the plot thickens. Issue #3: past galleries.

The mantras we hope to adhere to are first, do no harm. We know that there will always be people who like it just the way it is.

On the other hand, we want to make it so people who do like the larger image sizes can enable them on older galleries and at a pace where we can actually do it when they ask us to—without messing with new image processing, which is going to get harder.

No one has the compute power and bandwidth to rework 130,000,000 originals across multiple data centers very quickly, especially when you're talking about display copies this big with watermarking. Ow. :cool

We do plan to make the larger display sizes when you upload new images to old galleries and when you replace photos.

If that was the only way in the beginning to generate large photos in old galleries while we made sure all sytems were bullet proof for the 30,000 images we receive an hour now, would the world end?

Would it cause people to delete old albums and re-upload the same photos to new ones? We want to avoid the issue we have now, that when we fall behind on image processing, some people keep uploading the same batch repeatedly, making it harder to catch up.

Your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Chris

Chris, would a button for a gallery "Update images to XL" be out of the question?

I can see the problem with people going and clicking that for all of their galleries, maybe allow only one gallery per account per day?
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Chris, would a button for a gallery "Update images to XL" be out of the question?

I can see the problem with people going and clicking that for all of their galleries, maybe allow only one gallery per account per day?
    I like the idea of having such a nice button handy for your glorious old galleries that you want to have big with one click. thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RichSRichS Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I haven't visited in a couple months, but my shrinking pictures on ever-increasing monitor sizes (ever have an instructor try to critique a 400x600 image on a 2048 pixel screen) caused me to stop back.

Did I miss some anything on implementing larger image size. It's been over 15 months since the larger image size rumbles started.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    RichS wrote:
    Did I miss some anything on implementing larger image size. It's been over 15 months since the larger image size rumbles started.
    No news yet, it's still rumbeling on, but it maybe getting more resources now as 1 of the current 3 big projects is out of the pipe (SmugIslands).

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    :D boomp :D

how we going here? dang i wish i could offer people something somewhere between 800px and 30000000000000000000000px
  • Options
    kenluallenkenluallen Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    :D boomp :D

how we going here? dang i wish i could offer people something somewhere between 800px and 30000000000000000000000px

bump dittos
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    XL Size
    kenluallen wrote:
    bump dittos

I also want an XL Size. I almost went with Zenfolio for this reason, but SmugMug kept me with the scaling slide show.

It would be nice if the slideshow had an option to only scale down.
    I don't want my few small pictures to loose quality.

http://dennismullen.smugmug.com/
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Do we have an update on this?

I find that portrait pictures just aren't big enough in L size. For example:

183382303-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    chet79 wrote:
    Do we have an update on this?

I find that portrait pictures just aren't big enough in L size. For example:

183382303-L.jpg
    [/quote]
    That's the point of the SmugMungous :)
    Nothing new yet, sorry.

BTW, for forum posts and such, Don't forget custom image sizes :)

183382303-933x933.jpg
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Speaking of custom image sizes, I just posted a custom sizes feature request which may be relevant here. I'd like to be able to get custom sizes larger than large without having to enable originals. XL seems like one way to do it.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    That's the point of the SmugMungous :)
    Nothing new yet, sorry.

183382303-933x933.jpg[/quote]

Seems like I go for months without seeing these obnoxious little red "x"'s inside a box, then all of a sudden they start showing up again.

I can never seem to figure out why. Can someone tell me why I'm not seeing whatever is obviously supposed to be there?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    cheers Andy.

Sorry about screwing up your post / quote there - I uploaded that pic again (after processing it again), and it renamed itself - hence the broken IMG links.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    chet79 wrote:
    cheers Andy.

Sorry about screwing up your post / quote there - I uploaded that pic again (after processing it again), and it renamed itself - hence the broken IMG links.

Hi Chet....I'm not sure, but thought you might have meant this explanation for ME (papajay)...which, if true, makes me feel better that there was a missing image link. (So, for a change it wasn't "operator error" on MY part, which is a huge relief!...I've managed to turn myself inside out more than once with those little red-x boxes!). Thanks. Time for a beer.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    sorry - I screwed up BOTH of your posts! Whoops.

Beer sounds great, can I have one too? wings.gif
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    It seems one thing we need is a way for people go to to past galleries and generate these sizes. People with hundreds of galleries aren't going to want to do this one at a time, and it isn't clear right now what you'd do to trigger it.
    this is something that would benefit quite few of the controls i.e. to be able to do them globally aswellas/insteadof locally per gallery

Forgot to mention: I am only interested in larger sizes in the lightbox mode
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    It's been over seven months since this thread was posted. I switched over to smugmug thinking XL size pictures were right around the corner. This is turning into a mighty long corner!
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2007
    Seven months? Try nearly a year and a half - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32241

By my math, an image in my gallery takes up 13.9% of my screen, which has a fairly common resolution. I hoping the solution isn't still chasing 1280 monitors, as described in the initial message. IMHO, 1650 should be the minimum target for the largest size.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    RichS wrote:
    which has a fairly common resolution.
    Slightly of topic, but out of curiosity, and not to be smart or anything, what do you think is a common resolution? what is yours? This is actually a general question, not so specific to you.

I'm surprised myself, by what I think is the most used resolution, and the second most, etc., and what they actually are.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    Slightly of topic, but out of curiosity, and not to be smart or anything, what do you think is a common resolution? what is yours? This is actually a general question, not so specific to you.

I'm surprised myself, by what I think is the most used resolution, and the second most, etc., and what they actually are.

The easier solution here would be a design that let's the viewer use as much of their screen as they want, whether their monitor/graphics card is large or small. Some people will have gigantic monitors with lots of pixels, some will have compact laptops without such big screens.

I'm just hoping that Smugmug completes the flex-layout that started with the Javascript driven Smugmug style and fill it in with larger sizes so those viewers who do have large monitors can take advantage of them whether or not they are in the majority or minority. Designing to the most common denominator will still leave >50% unhappy. Making the design adapt to whatever window size you have active can make everyone happy because the viewer is in control rather than living by preset sizes.

With this philosophy, the question would be "what is the largest screen we should make it look good on?", not what is the most common screen size.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    RichS wrote:
    Seven months? Try nearly a year and a half - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32241

By my math, an image in my gallery takes up 13.9% of my screen, which has a fairly common resolution. I hoping the solution isn't still chasing 1280 monitors, as described in the initial message. IMHO, 1650 should be the minimum target for the largest size.
    Yup. It's taking longer than we hope, but it's still just as important to us - and you.

Thanks for hanging in there!
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Mine is 1680x1050, fairly mainstream for 20-22" widescreen monitors nowadays. This may not be the most used currently, but I bet it's near the top for most purchased currently.

Obviously, a dynamic screen layout to maximize use of whatever resolution a viewer is using would be best. I'd be very happy with that as I need to hop back and forth with my 1280x1024 (iirc) work laptop, mom views it on her paleolithic 800x600, etc.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    ivar wrote:

I don't tink it really matters what is the most common, because you won't win by designing it for the most common; the most common monitors will not be owned most commonly by those that are passionate about their photography

(written on a 1680*1050 screen ;-))
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..