beginners dslr

jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited February 17, 2007 in Cameras
im going to get me a new dslr camera this spring im leaning towards olympus evolt-500 i want to keep it under 1000 bucks if possible.any pros or cons to this cam or would i be better off with a cannon or one of the lower end nikons http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192
jm photography

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    jay wrote:
    im going to get me a new dslr camera this spring im leaning towards olympus evolt-500 i want to keep it under 1000 bucks if possible.any pros or cons to this cam or would i be better off with a cannon or one of the lower end nikons http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192

Do a search as there are many many of the same discussions in here.

They all end in the same way...try them out in the shop to which is suited to your hands & mind & remember that you are buying a system (ie lens system) more so than a camera.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Do a search as there are many many of the same discussions in here.

They all end in the same way...try them out in the shop to which is suited to your hands & mind & remember that you are buying a system (ie lens system) more so than a camera.

This was the way I thought about it when I purchased the XTi last week. Even though the XTi is a little lower end than the D80, eventually I want to be a Canon guy from a lens perspective. But like gus said, make sure you get a chance to hold any of them you are considering, and if at all possible maybe even try one or two out for a couple of days.
  • jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    thanks guys im kinda partial to the cannon and im going to have 2 lenses
    jm photography
    edited February 16, 2007
    jay wrote:
    thanks guys im kinda partial to the cannon and im going to have 2 lenses

I was pretty much the same way, I kind of had my head set on Canon, so I guess I was kind of biased going into it. But regardless of which one you go with, at least with the D80 or XTi, I don't think you can go wrong, they are both great cameras.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    A camera brand is largely the sum of the system. Canon has a good system. Nikon has a good system. Most well-known companies do. If the ergonomics of the camera body work for you, and is of good quality, then the rest is up to you to make it fly with how you use it and what you connect to it.

A reliable reseller makes the deal worthwhile, in case you run into trouble. Looks like you are doing your homework. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I read this comment I'm about to repeat here from another site. Basically, it all comes down to... what do you want to do? Date a hot girl who'll give you pleasure for a short time, or marry one who you'll want to spend the rest of your life with? rolleyes1.gif I went for the latter, and am happily married to my Canon system.wings.gif
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
    Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Jay,

I recently purchased my first dSLR camera. I did a lot of research and narrowed my decision down to one camera. When I went to the local camera shop, I walked out with a different camera. eek7.gif I have large hands, so I wanted a comfortable fit, while not being too heavy. I also had a budget I wanted to stay within.

I knew I wanted a Nikon, and I thought I wanted the D40. I ended up buying a D50, which has been great. I tried the Rebel XTi as well, but it had a smaller grip that I felt comfortable with.

The internet is a great resource to help you narrow your choices. But until you get one into your hands and use it, you just won't know. I doubt you will go wrong with any major brand.

Good luck.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    don't forget that many slr's have battery grips that can be added on for both double battery life, vertical grip controls, as well as making the existing grip more comfortable to shoot with.

As far as "beginner" SLR's... I think you'll find that you meant "beginner lenses". I can't speak for other bodies first hand, but the XT, XTi, 20D, and 30D bodies are fantastic!! :D
    edited February 16, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    don't forget that many slr's have battery grips that can be added on for both double battery life, vertical grip controls, as well as making the existing grip more comfortable to shoot with.

As far as "beginner" SLR's... I think you'll find that you meant "beginner lenses". I can't speak for other bodies first hand, but the XT, XTi, 20D, and 30D bodies are fantastic!! :D

This is exactly what I planned on... By itself the XTi grip feels a little small, but with the added grip it feels great. Plus, with the added grip it is still smaller than some SLR's without a grip. SO you get a great feel in a smaller package. Perfect for carrying with you everywhere! :D
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I'm a begginer in dSLR and I got myself an evolt 500, but instead of the 2 lens kit which you're looking at, I bought a kit with one 18-180 mm lens. I'm pretty happy with it. But then again I don't have much to compare to. I have a few pet pieves about it, so if you want to know more about it it you can drop me an email: yuriys AT gmail.com

I've also heard very good things about the pentax 100D (mostly the "Shake Reduction (SR) system, which effectively reduces camera shake for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions").
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    i think im going to get a d80 nikon im just going to start saving up clap.gif
    Nikon D80 DSLR Camera w/Nikkor 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S

seeallnikond80combos.gif
    Mfr # 9405 Our Stock # SLR1147
    $1,299.99
    Our Price:
    jm photography