Le Touquet 2007 - 1000 Mad Motorcycles

Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited February 17, 2007 in Sports
I spent last weekend at Le Touquet making photos of this mad event. 1,000 motorcycles riding on 15.5 km beach for 3 hours.

There were gale force winds, hail and rain, but still they kept going.

I was trying my new Nikon 70-200 2.8, but my Nikon camera died in the rain (despite plastic wrapping), so switched to the Fuji S3Pro (slower).

The bulk of the photos (930) can be viewed here.
http://motorbiker.smugmug.com/gallery/2466586#129364988

Here are a few done with the 2.8. I'm not totally satisfied with the results, since you need to get used to the speeds the bikes go around, and auto focus is a problem, so ended up focussing myself. What do you think?

129988511-L.jpg

Here, the 1,000 bikes, after a 7 km long straight on the beach, try to squeeze through the first man made hill. The sky was totally gray..

129988501-L.jpg

Focussing with all that sand blowing up is not easy, hence the manual focus.

129988529-L.jpg

This was taken in to direct sunlight (whatever there was).

129988546-L.jpg

Manually focussed.

129988572-L.jpg

I was trying to get the image of speed, not easy.
Mike Werner
Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    that first group shot is excellent - really sets the mood. thumb.gif

the individual shots don't grab my attention as much. like you said, that element of speed isn't quite as prominent as you would hope.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that first group shot is excellent - really sets the mood. thumb.gif

the individual shots don't grab my attention as much. like you said, that element of speed isn't quite as prominent as you would hope.

Yeah, I shot about 20 on the first hill. Just don't like the colors, it's bland, but the weather was gray, so not much you can do.

The close ups are indeed difficult, since it's very difficult to portray speeds on manual focus, and with auto, it kept getting distracted by all the sand. Don't really know what to do..
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Yeah, I shot about 20 on the first hill. Just don't like the colors, it's bland, but the weather was gray, so not much you can do.

The close ups are indeed difficult, since it's very difficult to portray speeds on manual focus, and with auto, it kept getting distracted by all the sand. Don't really know what to do..

Some nice shots, wish i could have been there just got accreditation for AMCA MX events
    Did you have it set on centre focus dont think the sand should have caused too much of a problem
    This is with my 10D + 70-200 not as fast as my 1D but it copes with mud ok (centre focus)

51854582-M.jpg
    edited February 16, 2007
    It's the difference between beach sand and mud sand. I've done MX shots, and never had a problem, but the beach sand is thin and floats like a mist. I've got tons of shots where you can not see the riders, just the mist of fine sand.

Yes, it was set to center focus. Don't think it would work on other positions..
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

• LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I really like the first photograph - I think it conveys the scale of the event quite well. I spent a few minutes in Photoshop messing with it and an idea occured - a strong sand storm means it'd be fairly easy to fake some detail into that grey sky :D I didn't spend much time on the color used in the sky, but you get the idea.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
    edited February 17, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I really like the first photograph - I think it conveys the scale of the event quite well. I spent a few minutes in Photoshop messing with it and an idea occured - a strong sand storm means it'd be fairly easy to fake some detail into that grey sky :D I didn't spend much time on the color used in the sky, but you get the idea.

Nice... I did something similar, getting the sand more yellow and pronounced. But made the sky even more grey. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    It's the difference between beach sand and mud sand. I've done MX shots, and never had a problem, but the beach sand is thin and floats like a mist. I've got tons of shots where you can not see the riders, just the mist of fine sand.

Yes, it was set to center focus. Don't think it would work on other positions..

Ive never tried shoting MX on sand will have to give it a go at Mablethorpe UK were the have sand racing all different types of bikes are used