Inner Jesus. WARNING: Probably Offensive.

1235»

Comments

• gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nice Work
    truth wrote:
    I dig it. Cool shoot Cody. Don;t ever be afraid to make a statement, regardless of whether you believe in it or not. Stirring the pot is always a good thing, especially with photography.

I think your photos can stand on their own, explanations aren't necessary. It's there in the images, and can refer to any religous veiwpoint that is based in hostility and exclusion. Matthew Brady's great images said everything about war, the dead, soldiers, the REALITY of it, in an age when an image could only be described in "word-pictures". It's great to use photography to reveal and comment on society-all parts of it. Good job!
    Jerry
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Scott, no trolling.

Fair warning.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    I wondered how long it would be before it descended into 'my religion's better than yours.'

Maybe time to close the thread.

Charlie
  • leanne-bleanne-b Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. Blown away by them.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Sorry Waxy, but your bias is showing...
    wxwax wrote:
    Folks, so far you've done a good job of keeping the discussion centered on the issue of images.
    Hmmm, really?
    wxwax wrote:
    I've deleted a couple of posts that, without malice, strayed into a purely political/religious discussion..
    Well, except maybe the ones bashing Christianity...
    wxwax wrote:
    I will continue to delete such posts. So please stick to the issue of imagery.

Thanks.

ps. I didn't find the photos offensive because I see them as an expression of a young person who is trying to figure out things about life and stuff. They were conceptual and creative and fairly well done. I may not agree with Cody's viewpoints, he certainly has the right to artisitically express them. To me, they spoke out against hypocrisy, which Jesus also passionately hated, if anyone would care to read about it. As for Cody's burning of the Bible...I'd say it was a shameful waste of a good leather Bible and probably contributed to Global Warming. ;)

pps. Erich6...right on dude. Sorry you got flamed.
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hmmm, really?

Well, except maybe the ones bashing Christianity...

ps. I didn't find the photos offensive because I see them as an expression of a young person who is trying to figure out things about life and stuff. They were conceptual and creative and fairly well done. I may not agree with Cody's viewpoints, he certainly has the right to artisitically express them. To me, they spoke out against hypocrisy, which Jesus also passionately hated, if anyone would care to read about it. As for Cody's burning of the Bible...I'd say it was a shameful waste of a good leather Bible and probably contributed to Global Warming. ;)

pps. Erich6...right on dude. Sorry you got flamed.

All those who feel offended by thus "attack" on their relegious beliefs should fight back!!!!!!

Instead of moaning and groaning here pick up your cameras and go out and take some pictures showing the affirmative side of your beliefs. Fight his pictures with your pictures. Now that would be interesting.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    All those who feel offended by thus "attack" on their relegious beliefs should fight back!!!!!!

Instead of moaning and groaning here pick up your cameras and go out and take some pictures showing the affirmative side of your beliefs. Fight his pictures with your pictures. Now that would be interesting.

Amen. After all, we're all supposed to be learning to express ourselves creatively, and what better way to get away from photos of cats and dogs and into something that (apparently) there are real passions about?
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

And it would mean a new thread!!! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Another post deleted.

Again, this isn't a theological discussion, but an artistic one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

That would be awesome. iloveyou.gif
    There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Just to be clear, it wasn't Cody's pics that were offensive, it was the fact that several opinions bashing Christian faith were left on this thread, which was what I found "offensive", esp. since the mod said non photo topics were taboo.

Anyhow, my brain got fired up with some conceptual ideas for photos expressing my feelings about faith (and even some about those who hate my faith, !). So I have Cody to thank for it, ! Now, if I could only find some willing models, I'd be happy to take some serious thought provoking pics!!!

Hey Harry, your point was well taken...and I'd actually started thinking along those lines last night before reading your post, but don't expect it all to be candy coated sunshine up your wazoo...real Christianity is gritty, truth telling, and sometimes in your face. Jesus was a pretty radical guy...
    :banned
    Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Another post deleted.

Again, this isn't a theological discussion, but an artistic one.

Also, all I was doing was asking if I had interpreted Cody's pictures as he had meant them.

As moderator, you have slipped up on this thread and no longer no what is OK and what is not.
    edited February 23, 2007
    gneufeld wrote:
    Also, all I was doing was asking if I had interpreted Cody's pictures as he had meant them.

As moderator, you have slipped up on this thread and no longer no what is OK and what is not.

Geez, Sid deleted one of my responses and I didn't get to have a hissy fit. :cry

Moderating a thread like this is no easy job and there's no way that you can't do it without pissing someone off.

I think he has done a fine job so far including deleting one of my responses. Why don't we just comment on the photography issues from now on.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Geez, Sid deleted one of my responses and I didn't get to have a hissy fit. :cry

Moderating a thread like this is no easy job and there's no way that you can't do it without pissing someone off.

I think he has done a fine job so far including deleting one of my responses. Why don't we just comment on the photography issues from now on.

heck, I deleted one of my OWN posts lol3.gif
  • BentspokeBentspoke Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2007
    If a picture is worth a thousand words, why have words.
    edited February 23, 2007
    Its time for everyone to take a chill pill. Its just a few pictures from a young photographer. I have already indicated that we probably could have handled it better, IMHO, concerning the contents of the initial post but we didn't.

Get over it. If you have any further complaints just send me a PM and I'll respond to you. Any further posts and all earlier posts concerning anything other than the photographic issues of these pictures will be deleted.
    Harry
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Interesting discussion, both about the photos and about the purpose/focus of DGrin. The religious discussion is as interesting as it ever is.

I think the photos are technically excellent, but they don't really do much for me emotionally. I find the message a bit laboured and obvious, too posed. I agree with the posters who have commented that photos of real events would make the message much more powerful, although obviously the opportunity to take images like that don't come along every day. +10 points to Harry as well for his comment that any pro-Christian photographers who don't agree with the message in these images should be out there trying to take photos which show the positive side of Christianity, this would be really interesting.

As for the focus of DGrin, I agree with the posters who have commented that it would be good to see more controversial/edgy work on here. Not that I think that controversial/edgy photography is intrinsically better or worse, but if it's well executed it can be really interesting and would help make DGrin much more credible as a photography forum. In fact, I'd argue that controlling this too strictly seriously restricts DGrin's ability to represent many of the more interesting aspects of photography, i.e. social commentary. Do you all think it would be a good idea to have an enter-at-your-own-risk photojournalism forum?

Of course, what do I know - I'm still trying to expose my photos correctly :D. Regardless of my opinion of the photos, I commend Cody for trying something challenging and interesting.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius