General Lens questions from a Beginner!

Ashleighsmommy06Ashleighsmommy06 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 17, 2007 in Cameras
I am using a Canon XTi right now and have a 17-85mm and a 70-300mm. But I really want a macro lens... any suggestions. Preferably another canon lens?

Then my second question is this... in order to be taken seriously as a photographer one day (one day Waaaaaaay down the road) what is a must have lens that I should look to buy in the near future?

Thanks!

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I am using a Canon XTi right now and have a 17-85mm and a 70-300mm. But I really want a macro lens... any suggestions. Preferably another canon lens?

Then my second question is this... in order to be taken seriously as a photographer one day (one day Waaaaaaay down the road) what is a must have lens that I should look to buy in the near future?

Thanks!

Canon EF-S 60mm Macro

Part 2: To be taken seriously as a photographer requires being able to take great photographs with ANY lens.

A lens does not a photographer make:D
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    Part 2: To be taken seriously as a photographer requires being able to take great photographs with ANY lens.

So true... So true... And well stated. thumb.gif

I would suggest that Ashleighsmommy06 may want to find a local college, university or night class and start by learning the basics. To have a working knowledge of the basics gives you a good foundation on which to build your abilities. From there you can find the niche that fits your shooting style, abilities and personal preferences.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    Canon EF-S 60mm Macro

Here are pretty much your choices:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=8&a=696_6146&a=700_6186&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=&shs=&ci=8429&ac=&Submit.x=13&Submit.y=8&Submit=Go

For general 1:1 macro work, I usually recommend something in the 100-200mm range. The longer the lens, the further from your subject, and the more flexible is your placement of lights because of the extra working length.

Also look at macro lenses from Sigma and Tamron:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=23&a=696_6146&a=700_6186&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=&shs=&ci=8429&ac=&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=7&Submit=Go
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=29&a=696_6146&a=700_6186&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=&shs=&ci=8429&ac=&Submit.x=17&Submit.y=13&Submit=Go

Tip: Most zoom lenses that say "Macro" are really just "Close Focus" and do not come close to 1:1 true macro magnifications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Other ones to seriously consider are the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. The longer the focal length, the more working distance, which means further away from bugs and more room to let natural/artifical light around the lens. Here's a fairly good article comparing the two lenses which also touches on subjects such as background isolation and boke: http://photo.net/equipment/canon/can-tam-macro/
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Ashleighsmommy06Ashleighsmommy06 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    So true... So true... And well stated. thumb.gif

I would suggest that Ashleighsmommy06 may want to find a local college, university or night class and start by learning the basics. To have a working knowledge of the basics gives you a good foundation on which to build your abilities. From there you can find the niche that fits your shooting style, abilities and personal preferences.

Thanks, I actually have already done that. I am currently in week 4 of a 12 week class which is a prerequisite of the next 14 weeks class. I hope by then I'll have a good foundation. But until then, I'd just like to know some helpful tools that people find they use quite a bit.
    edited February 16, 2007
    Thanks, I actually have already done that. I am currently in week 4 of a 12 week class which is a prerequisite of the next 14 weeks class. I hope by then I'll have a good foundation. But until then, I'd just like to know some helpful tools that people find they use quite a bit.
    Well, I've personally found that this is all in where you want to go with your shooting. I've tried a bit of macro... And people... but I feel more @ home with static/landscape/impromptu shots. But also please keep one thing in mind with all that I've said... everyone is different and has different things that draw them to what they shoot. YMMV...

So, a rhetorical question for you... (just to make you think, if nothing else) What do you want to shoot 6 months from now? How about 2 years from now? What about 5 years? Or do you even know the long-term yet?

If you're looking at macro lenses this just to see if this is something you want to do, you may want to consider renting the lens locally (if available) to see what fits and doesn't fit. Beats dropping $1k on a lens that doesn't fit your style.

BTW, keep asking questions. That's how many of us learned... Can you say trial and error? But in the end, it will be what suits you and your shooting style.
  • Ashleighsmommy06Ashleighsmommy06 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I've personally found that this is all in where you want to go with your shooting. I've tried a bit of macro... And people... but I feel more @ home with static/landscape/impromptu shots. But also please keep one thing in mind with all that I've said... everyone is different and has different things that draw them to what they shoot. YMMV...

So, a rhetorical question for you... (just to make you think, if nothing else) What do you want to shoot 6 months from now? How about 2 years from now? What about 5 years? Or do you even know the long-term yet?

If you're looking at macro lenses this just to see if this is something you want to do, you may want to consider renting the lens locally (if available) to see what fits and doesn't fit. Beats dropping $1k on a lens that doesn't fit your style.

BTW, keep asking questions. That's how many of us learned... Can you say trial and error? But in the end, it will be what suits you and your shooting style.

Oh thank you so much for the info!! I am trying to ask so many questions to try and learn (but I just don't want to annoy people with my trivial questions!).

I definitely want to photography babies... oh I LOVE it... I just have a passion for it! Every baby I see, I just want to photograph it... but I get frustrated that the vision I see can't be brought to life cause I dont know the technical stuff quite yet... all in time!

Suggestions on a lens now?
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    ... in order to be taken seriously as a photographer one day (one day Waaaaaaay down the road) what is a must have lens that I should look to buy in the near future?
    Experience. ;) The more you shoot and the more mistakes you make and learn from, the better you get and your photos will show it. Some people have the most expensive gear, but don't know how to utilize them effectively. Granted all this new gear like E-TTL is great and is very helpful, but I've encountered photogs during shoots where their flash' TTL fails and have no idea how to use their flash in manual mode. I however, haven't had the chance to buy myself a TTL compatible flash for my newer XT, I still use my old Canon EZ-generation flashes on manual, since it doesn't work with the XT's E-TTL. Through prior experience, I learned when I needed more power from the flash or less depending on what I have to shoot.

Also, if you dont already have one, you should definitely purchase a 50mm 1.8 canon. They go for about $80 shipped at Amazon.com. It helps having one when you're out shooting at night where you can't use flash. Plus, its cheap!

Lastly, make a gallery online, fill it up with photos, participate in Dgrin's challenges, ask for opinions, make your own, go to the library and borrow books on photography etc etc. You'll notice yourself getting better as you familiarize yourself with what you have. The more photos you shoot, the better they seem to get, at least for me. I hope I helped!

;D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Oh thank you so much for the info!! I am trying to ask so many questions to try and learn (but I just don't want to annoy people with my trivial questions!).

I definitely want to photography babies... oh I LOVE it... I just have a passion for it! Every baby I see, I just want to photograph it... but I get frustrated that the vision I see can't be brought to life cause I dont know the technical stuff quite yet... all in time!

Suggestions on a lens now?
    I would suggest a longer lens for photoing babies...nothing shorter than 90mm (that is a 60 in 35mm terms, if your shooting a 1.5x crop camera) and even longer yet would be better : ie - a good 70-200mm f2.8zoom....that way your not in the younguns face scaring the poo outta it....:D....I gave always prefered to shoot with longer lenses (mid range zooms: 70-210's) rather than short normal lenses.... I like to stay back from my subject, it seems to allow people to be more at ease.....

tha is just my .0000001 cents woth
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 17, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I would suggest a longer lens for photoing babies...nothing shorter than 90mm (that is a 60 in 35mm terms, if your shooting a 1.5x crop camera) and even longer yet would be better : ie - a good 70-200mm f2.8zoom....that way your not in the younguns face scaring the poo outta it....:D....I gave always prefered to shoot with longer lenses (mid range zooms: 70-210's) rather than short normal lenses.... I like to stay back from my subject, it seems to allow people to be more at ease.....

tha is just my .0000001 cents woth
    Ummmmmm... Little correction for you Scott. A 90mm lens, on an XTi, would be 144mm on a film camera. I think you added backwards. eek7.gif:D

But I agree with you thought process that she needs to back off from her subject. So a 90+mm lens is in order.