CH 30 - gregneil - headshots

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've already posted this over in the official entry thread, but would love some feedback. My friend Devin needed some headshots for a few auditions coming up, so he brought over his $20 home depot halogen lamp, we bounced it off the ceiling and wall, put up a brown velvet background on the wall, put a table lamp with the shade off behind him, and decided in the end to leave the kitchen light on. Shot from a tripod with the 135/f2.0L on my rebel ISO 400, 2.5, 60. I took about 100 shots, these were the best three. He's like my Dad in that when he smiles, his eyes go away. I did a little PS for blemishes and color and layout.

As far as the challenge goes, it might be more interesting to do 3 different subjects, perhaps with different backgrounds, I just don't know if I'll have time for it. As it is I like the way the photos progress, and I like his rather subtle expressions. Thoughts? Thanks for taking a look...

Headshots.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    I think they are great! I see a lot of personality in all of the shot!
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Yes I enjoy this as well. I like the whole concept. Cork board background that gives one a feeling that this is actually hanging on a wall somewhere. And as with all corkboard most things on them are not straight. Also the overlapping is a nice touch.

The actual pictures also capture some different emotions. Great piece.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Great shots with a make-shift studio! You'd never know it. I also like your layout very much. I think they work just fine. thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Very creative,just add thumbtacks and your done deal.gif
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Very creative,just add thumbtacks and your done deal.gif
    Yeah, you're right. That would be a great touch!
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Great shots
    These came out great. I bet he's thrilled with them. The arrangement is perfect, and the cork background a good creative touch.

I use two "work lights" each has two lights to a stand. I bounce one or two and use the others for fill.

One thing you might want to try next time is a big piece of white paper, or a foam core to reflect light -- it may have helped with his hair.

Also, it looks like he's wearing two shirts? I would have asked him to either take the white one off, or pull it down so it didn't peek at the neck. Just a little nit pick... :D
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Thanks for the comments! I actually went looking online for push pin images last night, but got too tired and gave up. Perhaps I'll find something before the challenge is over.

Great suggestion about the paper or foam to reflect light. Do you use something to hold the paper or foam in place? Some kind of big "arm"?

When you say it may have helped with his hair, what do you mean? I've never done portraits, so I'm not sure what aspect of the way his hair turned out could have been better. Maybe to make it more evenly lit? I guess there's more detail on the top and the sides get a little lost...

As far as the white shirt goes, I should have caught that! Next time. For now, maybe I'll PS it out if I find time. Because now that you mention it, it sure is distracting.

Thanks for the feedback.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.