Alphabetical lists?

caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited December 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
If possible please alphabetize the galleries in drop down lists.

When I'm working on my site and I'm presented with a drop down list of galleries. Please put them in alphabetical order.

I know the gallery name for example that I want to move a photo into. I have to scan the list in the drop down to find the gallery. If it was in alphabetical order that would make it so much easier.

Thanks,

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Hi John,

You can sort the galleries, and the dropdown lists will take on that order as well.

Go to your homepage, select 'view by galleries' and sort by position. Next to position you'll see an 'arrange' link. Click on that, and you can sort the galleries by alphabet.

I hope this helps.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi John,

You can sort the galleries, and the dropdown lists will take on that order as well.

Go to your homepage, select 'view by galleries' and sort by position. Next to position you'll see an 'arrange' link. Click on that, and you can sort the galleries by alphabet.

I hope this helps.
    Holy mackerel Batman, I've never seen this fix mentioned before and I've
    read just about every message in the last few years. Of course my
    memory ain't what it used to be.:D

clap.gifclap Works like a charm and no more looking thru a zillion galleries in the drops.

Big thanks Ivar.thumb.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi John,

I hope this helps.

I'd like to add in my support to this thread.

I've got 169 galleries on my site, many with the same name, but in different categories/sub-categories (often a person's name). The way galleries are displayed in a giant flat list when being asked to pick one by the UI (move to gallery, for example) is next to impossible to use. The only real fix for this is to stop showing the gallery picker in one giant flat list and show them in with the category/sub-category information and in that order too. I hope something can be done about this. It's a real problem as my site scales to more and more galleries. This is really the only scale issue I've had so far as the number of galleries I have has grown, so kudos for that, but this one is really, really starting to cause usability problems.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Yal John, I went down my list and saw dup names. Then went to each gallery and added a more descriptive name to separate. Luckily most were in sub-cats so I could do a bunch on one page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited May 18, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Yal John, I went down my list and saw dup names. Then went to each gallery and added a more descriptive name to separate. Luckily most were in sub-cats so I could do a bunch on one page.

I understand the work-around, but I name my galleries to be the best for the presentation on my site. I shouldn't have to compromise the presentation of my site in order to make the admin UI work. The admin UI should get fixed which is why I wanted to add to this thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited May 18, 2007
    Also - Ivar's workaround of switching the display to galleries and then sorting by title leaves the galleries sorted like that even after you switch the galleries display back to categories.

That doesn't work for me because I try to keep my newest galleries at the beginning of each category.

I would love to see that drop-down changed (as John suggested) to allow you to choose the category and then the gallery within the category.

--- Denise
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Also - Ivar's workaround of switching the display to galleries and then sorting by title leaves the galleries sorted like that even after you switch the galleries display back to categories.

That doesn't work for me because I try to keep my newest galleries at the beginning of each category.

I would love to see that drop-down changed (as John suggested) to allow you to choose the category and then the gallery within the category.
    I'm with you on this Denise and John. thumb.gif
    The thing ivar suggested should only be a temporary work-around. deal.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    I just ran into this recently too. I agree that an alphabetised and hierarchical gallery selection tool would be a huge improvement over the current list.
    edited May 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I'd like to add in my support to this thread.

I've got 169 galleries on my site, many with the same name, but in different categories/sub-categories (often a person's name). The way galleries are displayed in a giant flat list when being asked to pick one by the UI (move to gallery, for example) is next to impossible to use. The only real fix for this is to stop showing the gallery picker in one giant flat list and show them in with the category/sub-category information and in that order too. I hope something can be done about this. It's a real problem as my site scales to more and more galleries. This is really the only scale issue I've had so far as the number of galleries I have has grown, so kudos for that, but this one is really, really starting to cause usability problems.

Here's another user posting about the same problem.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    caseserve wrote:
    I know the gallery name for example that I want to move a photo into. I have to scan the list in the drop down to find the gallery. If it was in alphabetical order that would make it so much easier.
    Thanks,
    Another work around is to temporarily rename the gallery with a ~ in front of it. Then when you are presented with the drop down list, just type ~ and you will go straight to the gallery you want.

I have no use for an alphbetical list as I have multiple duplicate names and about 2,500 galleries...

Andrew
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Please alphebetize drop down gallery lists
    My day job is programming and I always alphabetize drop down lists because I know my users want it. I some situations, I include more than one field because there will be dupes showing otherwise. Please, let's see {gallery name}{category name}{sub-category name} with empty () in place of category and sub-category if not present.

Every once in a while I am asked to sort differently, and almost always that has been in date order, either first to last or vice versa, latest at the top. There may be some kind of order in the list I'm presented with here, but it is not obvious at all.

This would make working on my galleries a lot more productive, and I have nowhere near as many as the others on this thread.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    http://synature.smugmug.com
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Yes, this another thing that burns me to no end. The Picasa uploader is able to sort the list of galleries why can't SmugMug? ne_nau.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage