Reducing File Sizes

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited February 18, 2007 in Finishing School
I've noticed that lately the my collection of Photoshop files seems to be getting a little out of hand in terms of disk space.

I started looking around and noticed that I still had the Maximize PSD Compatibility option turned on. Having this turned on means that in every PSD file Photoshop stores a second, layer-flatened version of the image. Worst case, this option will nearly double the size of PSD file. I switched Maximize Compatibility off and opened a few files. By running a Save As... the file sizes started dropping.

I next tried to go through my PSD files looking for adjustment layers with empty layer masks. I then discarded the empty masks and resaved the files. I was a bit surprised when I saw that the file sizes weren't changing... at all. I wonder if Photoshop only saves a layer mask if it's non-empty :scratch

Anyone have any other ideas for how to trim the fat off of PSD files???

Comments

• jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    save as a compact jpeg u can always convert them back over to psd
    jm photography
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    jay wrote:
    save as a compact jpeg u can always convert them back over to psd
    You lose information everytime you do that, don't you?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You lose information everytime you do that, don't you?

THat was my understanding that each time you save to JPG you would lose some info.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    THat was my understanding that each time you save to JPG you would lose some info.

nod.gif

Saving to JPEG really isn't going to work for what I want. I want to keep all the things like layers, channels and paths so I'm going to need to keep the files in PSD format. I'd just like to trim them down if possible.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Try TIFF with compression
    cletus wrote:
    I've noticed that lately the my collection of Photoshop files seems to be getting a little out of hand in terms of disk space.

I started looking around and noticed that I still had the Maximize PSD Compatibility option turned on. Having this turned on means that in every PSD file Photoshop stores a second, layer-flatened version of the image. Worst case, this option will nearly double the size of PSD file. I switched Maximize Compatibility off and opened a few files. By running a Save As... the file sizes started dropping.

I next tried to go through my PSD files looking for adjustment layers with empty layer masks. I then discarded the empty masks and resaved the files. I was a bit surprised when I saw that the file sizes weren't changing... at all. I wonder if Photoshop only saves a layer mask if it's non-empty headscratch.gif

Anyone have any other ideas for how to trim the fat off of PSD files???

Try some experiments with layered TIFFs with compression on. You will get all your layers saved and there are a more non-lossy compression options with TIFF than there are with PSD. I've found there are some interoperability problems with compressed TIFFs with other programs (because there are so many options and not all program support reading all options), but they will preserve all your layers and, if they are TIFFs created with PS, they will not have interoperability problems with PS.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 17, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Try some experiments with layered TIFFs with compression on. You will get all your layers saved and there are a more non-lossy compression options with TIFF than there are with PSD. I've found there are some interoperability problems with compressed TIFFs with other programs (because there are so many options and not all program support reading all options), but they will preserve all your layers and, if they are TIFFs created with PS, they will not have interoperability problems with PS.

Thanks thumb.gif

I figured that compressed, layered TIFFs would be worth looking into. Although I would keep normal layers, I'd loose my adjustment layers, right?

I'm also thinking about using Photoshops batch tools to generate preview JPEGs for my PSD files and then archiving all the original PSD files into zip (or some other compressed format) files. Does anyone know if there is a particular compression scheme that does a really good job with PSD files?
    edited February 17, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    Thanks thumb.gif

I figured that compressed, layered TIFFs would be worth looking into. Although I would keep normal layers, I'd loose my adjustment layers, right?

I'm also thinking about using Photoshops batch tools to generate preview JPEGs for my PSD files and then archiving all the original PSD files into zip (or some other compressed format) files. Does anyone know if there is a particular compression scheme that does a really good job with PSD files?

TIFF images seem to save adjustment layers and masks for me just fine. You should just try it out and see how much smaller they are than your PSDs.

When I tried ZIP compression on some of my PSD files, I only got 9-25% compression.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 17, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    TIFF images seem to save adjustment layers and masks for me just fine. You should just try it out and see how much smaller they are than your PSDs.

Will do

jfriend wrote:
    When I tried ZIP compression on some of my PSD files, I only got 9-25% compression.

I ran bzip2 on a PSD and got similar results.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    My TIFF files saved with ZIP compression are actually twice as large as my regular PSD files with Maximize Compatibility turned off. So is PSD the smallest file size I could get?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Converting to 8 bits rarely loses anything important and can save 2x. There are rare cases where it does matter (gradients in particular), but as I said, they are rare.
    If not now, when?
  • Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Get more storage.

I'd never want to shave off my file size if I could just get more room. Why change the way you like to save your stuff?

I just went from 1.1 TB to 2 TB. Seagate makes great 500 GB and 750 GB drives that are becoming quite affordable.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Someone with the big picture. Right on!
    Get more storage.

I'd never want to shave off my file size if I could just get more room. Why change the way you like to save your stuff?

I just went from 1.1 TB to 2 TB. Seagate makes great 500 GB and 750 GB drives that are becoming quite affordable.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2007
    It's around 35¢/GB now
    rutt wrote:
    Someone with the big picture. Right on!
    Yep, I agree. With storage at around 35¢/GB, it usually just makes sense to buy more storage, particularly if you compare the $$ you spend on storage to the $$ you spend on the equipment to capture your photos.

A typical (8MB) RAW file costs 0.2¢ ($0.002) to store and a 100MB PSD file costs 3.5¢ ($0.035).

I completely gave up archiving to DVDs and just buy more hard drive space now, including backup drives.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 18, 2007

I'm not willing to trade image quality or editability for reduced file size. I'm just trying to find if there's things I should be doing to avoid wasting space. The Maximize Compatibility option is an example. It doesn't buy me anything but yet it almost doubles the size of most of my PSDs.
    edited February 18, 2007
    Thanks for the added storage advice guys.

In my case I'm going to need a 1000base-T switch in addition to more disk space!