sigma-nikon 2.8

dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
edited February 17, 2007 in Cameras
can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between sigma apo 70-200 f2.8 ex dg macro hsm & nikon 80-200 f2.8 ed af .
I can't afford the vr as I'm also thinking of upgrading my d50.
thanks
Dave
**If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
Dave

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2007
    The Sigma EX APO is a great lens. I had one for my D2H, and only upgraded to the 70-200 VR because one essentially fell in my lap.

Unless you have an absolute business need for the VR, the Sigma will serve you very well for much less cash.

I've never used the 80-200, can't comment there.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    thanks doc! I appreciate the comment. how is the VR with action shots?? I shoot alot of sports.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    thanks doc! I appreciate the comment. how is the VR with action shots?? I shoot alot of sports.
    The VR is unbelievable. Best lens I've ever owned, no question. Sports shooting dried up for me (interest-wise), and we had a couple homeowner issues to deal with last fall. If it weren't for that, I would have never sold it.

I'd say if can wait a little while, save for the VR, and you do in fact shoot lots of sports, you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting the VR. You'll be doing it right the first time.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    agreed...i picked up the 70-200 VR about 3 weeks ago and it is really an amazing piece of glass. sports, portraits, night shooting, anything really. its fantastic. i agree that you'd be doing yourself a favor by saving up the $ to pick one up.