Looking for guidance...

livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited February 20, 2007 in Technique
Ok i have been shooting for a while.. and now I run into a problem

I am looking for inspiration and some "great" photographer that appeals to me

So if you the kind folks here at Dgrin will help me. I would appreciate it.

Traits or Qualities that appeal to me: Creativity new different shots, the use of a different kind of light, not just a well executed portrait I do of course respect precision but so many of you here at Dgrin have amazing technical ablities so I would only need to browse through Smugmug sites for that type of guidance.

Thank you for your time

Ty

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    What forte?????

for a glamour portrait photog I enjoy the work of Peter Gowland...I also enjoy Josef Sudek, Alfred Eisenstaedt, WEEGEE......Really you need to narrow your question.......it is way too broad...
    Just my 'umble opion and my .0000002Kc worth

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    This can all be self guided, and should be anyway.

Browse for photos that speak to you. Look at any and all photos regardless of who shoots them. When you see one that moves you, note it. Over time, you will have a library of photos to review. Note in your mind what the themes, techniques, and styles you find the most interesting. You may even note multiple photos from certain photographers. Study what it is about those photos that attracts and interests you.

Whatever you discover, you will discover what your "visual" style likely is. Use those photos for inspiration in creating your own. The techniques you use and develop to achieve the look you are after will further define your style. In the end you will wind up being able to produce the work you want and that uniquely identify you.

And by not studying particular artists too deeply, you will be able to retain your own style and not spend too much time aping your favorite artist. Study the photos and let the photos guide you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Ha!
    I was gonna say...look at Shay Stephens work....if that's not inspiring I don't know what is wings.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • lcavalielcavalie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I was gonna say...look at Shay Stephens work....if that's not inspiring I don't know what is wings.gif

This is simply excellent and very inspiring.
    I'm impressed.

L
    www.mindworkscreation.com
    Photography and Design Studio

Pictures galleries at photo.mindworkscreation.com
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    thanks i know my topic was very broad I just need a few names to start with I had no clue where to start or what to type into google thanks :)
    edited February 19, 2007
    This can all be self guided, and should be anyway.

Browse for photos that speak to you. Look at any and all photos regardless of who shoots them. When you see one that moves you, note it. Over time, you will have a library of photos to review. Note in your mind what the themes, techniques, and styles you find the most interesting. You may even note multiple photos from certain photographers. Study what it is about those photos that attracts and interests you.

Whatever you discover, you will discover what your "visual" style likely is. Use those photos for inspiration in creating your own. The techniques you use and develop to achieve the look you are after will further define your style. In the end you will wind up being able to produce the work you want and that uniquely identify you.

And by not studying particular artists too deeply, you will be able to retain your own style and not spend too much time aping your favorite artist. Study the photos and let the photos guide you.

Thank you Shay

And i try to i often find inspiration through paintings most of the time, because another hobby of mine is sketching, although not as serious as photography I love how you can express you see on a piece of paper with ANY restrictions. One thing I dont like about photography is the rule of thirds, no noise, o that isnt tack sharp, aspect of photography. Although I havent been able to yet I would love to just capture an ideal an idea in one of photographers that can be seen by anyone, that of course is my I photograph to express myself, and yes you do need a strong skill set to understand why things appeal to the eye. But I was just looking for some names to see how those great go about accomplishing this beautiful way of expression.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    It's revelation time
    I love how you can express you see on a piece of paper with ANY restrictions. One thing I dont like about photography is the rule of thirds, no noise, o that isnt tack sharp, aspect of photography.
    Photography is the same as painting. There are no rules, only self imposed rules. As I am wont to say, embrace the noise. Noise adds texture and character. The rule of thirds is only a guide for those who don't have a better idea of what they want to do. And sharpness is better left to the mind.

Photograph in the way that moves you and speaks to you. Do not, I repeat, do not listen to people who try to impose on you the above limitations and restrictions. As with a blank canvas awaiting the application of the artist, so to with photography, the camera and print await your control and vision. You are the master of your domain. You decide what is gold and what is trash.

If it looks good to you, then it is good. Don't let anyone tell you different. Be a photographer, not a mindless follower of others self imposed restrictions.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited February 19, 2007
    Be a photographer, not a mindless follower of others self imposed restrictions.

Right on.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Here is my take on what Shay is saying:

Always push yourself. Never let yourself rest in your comfort zone. It is in the outer reaches of your skill that your style will find you.

As for inspiration: take your ispiration from photographs not photographers. If you see a shot that intrigues you, study it and try to incorporate what you learn into your photography.

A photographic style is body of work not a single image. As you develop your photographic tool box you will have several different approaches to each subject. While each of those approaches may be borrowed from some photograph you have seen, the choice you make for each particular subject will eventually define your style.

Here is an example:
    Using a fast apeture in low natural light is a technique.
    Using a bounce flash with ambient fill is also a technique.
    If you learn and use both, the choice of which technique you use for a particular subject will start to define your style.