Keep the stocky 18-70?

Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited February 18, 2007 in Cameras
I've bought the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens for my D70s. Is there any reason to keep the kit 18-70? It's maybe 1/3 EV faster at the longest, no faster over the wide angle. There's the backup theory, but I'd rather backup with a series of fast prime lenses, or faster zooms with a smaller range.

Thanks a bunch.

VI
dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    The 18-70 has always kept its value. So I would suggest you hold it for maybe 6 months.. Well, unless you really need the money. Once you know/feel you're out of the woods with the 18-200, then offload the stocky.

BTW, you know the 18-70 is one of the sharpest kit lenses Nikon did... right?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 18, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

BTW, you know the 18-70 is one of the sharpest kit lenses Nikon did... right?

15524779-Ti.gif My father has the Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED DX with his Nikon D70 and it makes a wonderful combination. The combination of great resolution and contrast make it a super general purpose lens.

If I had gone Nikon instead of Canon, and that was my original plan, the Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm, f/3.5-4.5 G, would have been one of my first lenses (if not the first) and would have remained in my stable regardless of any seeming duplicity.

I agree with Seymore's assessment that it would be best to use the new lens for a while to see if you miss the old lens. In particular, pay attention to the barrel distortion and vignetting of the new lens at 18mm and wide open. The old lens may be considerably better and reason alone to keep it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2007
    +3

The 18-70 is the best "kit" lens I've ever used. Worlds better than Canon's failed 17-85. I've owned them both. The 18-70 I just got recently, and wow, wish I'd had it all along!

It's worth some money, but not enough to buy yourself a really good prime. Jury's still out on the 18-200, so I'd advise holding on the 18-70 as well.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Great Advice All!
    thumb.gif And that's why I play here. If the rain ever stops, I'll head out to find a brick wall some where and take a big series of shots with both lenses. If there's anything worth talking about, I'll post the findings.

Thanks a bunch.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.