Can I save SmugMug galleries for posterity?

TrinityTrinity Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 18, 2007 in SmugMug Support
My SmugMug site works as a virtual scrapbook for my extended friends and family. I'd love to be able to save the galleries (pictures and captions) to my hard drive and eventually burn them to a CD so I can give them (in 20 years or so) to my children. (By which time, I'm sure CDs will be obsolete. But go with me here.)

Does anyone know if this is possible? I used to use a more standard web-hosting service, and with them, I could simiply save the html.

Thanks in advance,

Trinity (aka Kelly)

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Trinity wrote:
    My SmugMug site works as a virtual scrapbook for my extended friends and family. I'd love to be able to save the galleries (pictures and captions) to my hard drive and eventually burn them to a CD so I can give them (in 20 years or so) to my children. (By which time, I'm sure CDs will be obsolete. But go with me here.)

Does anyone know if this is possible? I used to use a more standard web-hosting service, and with them, I could simiply save the html.

Thanks in advance,

Trinity (aka Kelly)
    You bet! Get Firefox, free from www.mozilla.com and then get AlbumFetcher, here: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

thumb.gif
  • TrinityTrinity Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2007
    Thanks Andy!
    As always, your advice is perfect. I already use (and love) Firefox, so the download was simple and easy.

SmugMug is truly the best.

Trinity
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Trinity wrote:
    As always, your advice is perfect. I already use (and love) Firefox, so the download was simple and easy.

SmugMug is truly the best.

Trinity
    clap.gif thank you!
  • TrinityTrinity Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2007
    Follow-up
    Just wanted to post a follow-up in case any one else has this same question someday.

I downloaded the program you suggested, Andy, and it worked like a dream. Problem is, it wasn't what I needed. Album Fetcher works great for people who need to download a plethora of pictures at one time (versus downloading each image one by one, I assume). However, I was hoping to save the layout of the page so the pictures and captions would retain their viewer-friendly appearance.

So! After discovering Album Fetcher was cool but that it didn't solve my problem, I started playing around the the different Smug Mug gallery styles. Once I hit about the journal style, I knew I'd found my solution. I can simply change my galleries to a journal style and then save the page as an html for future use.

Thanks again for your help, Andy. Even though Album Fetcher didn't work for me, I remain impressed by the level of service and all-around niceness of the Smug Mug folk. thumb.gif

Trinity (Kelly)