In praise of the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in Cameras
Just picked this thing up yesterday on sale (the USM version) and I cannot think of a time I've had more fun taking pictures. You just wanna look at every little thing up close. I suppose people go off the deep end with their first real macro lens and I'm no different. I think the focal length of this thing is just magical on a 1.6x body and it is really bringing out something in me that before had no outlet, true joy of photography. Sharpness at all distances is just remarkable (100% crop):

130417476-O.jpg

Hey, I just wanted to share!

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    I have it....man is it slow to focus.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I have it....man is it slow to focus.

Mine seems fast enough, considering the range it has to cover. I will admit it hunts a bit at times. Okay, let's all talk trash about it!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    Mine seems fast enough, considering the range it has to cover. I will admit it hunts a bit at times. Okay, let's all talk trash about it!
    Yeah hunts like crazy in lower light as well. I am considering selling mine. Its a nice lens though but not for me.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I have the 100 macro and I also love it. Definitely a specialty lens though so for people who don't shoot macro much probably wouldn't like it too much. I have loads of fun with mine though!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Red Bull wrote:
    I have the 100 macro and I also love it. Definitely a specialty lens though so for people who don't shoot macro much probably wouldn't like it too much. I have loads of fun with mine though!

Totally agreed. It does hunt at macro-ish range in low light, but I have yet to have a problem with mine in low light at normal distances (with the focus limiter engaged, and who isn't using some sort of external light for macros anyway? :D). Extension tubes make it all the more fun; I love mine!
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    Just picked this thing up yesterday on sale and I cannot think of a time I've had more fun taking pictures. You just wanna look at every little thing up close. I suppose people go off the deep end with their first real macro lens and I'm no different. I think the focal length of this thing is just magical on a 1.6x body and it is really bringing out something in me that before had no outlet, true joy of photography. Sharpness at all distances is just remarkable (100% crop):
    Hey, I just wanted to share!

Hooray for you Pindy clap.gif yep that Canon 100 Macro is one sweet bit of glass, I have it too, and with a set of Kenko Tubes it's all the more fun :D

Happy Shooting ...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    If you don't like the slow focusing, get the USM version. I have it. Makes a nice portrait lens too.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.