ice balloon

CrockinatorCrockinator Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

This is my first real post on any site whatsoever as I am a definitely a noob. However, I thought this might be interesting. I was struggling to think of things to photograph, so last night I filled some balloons with water and food coloring and hung them from a tree outside to freeze. I only opened one today and this is what I found. Unfortunately, I had planned on making eight of different colors and placing them in the snow, but all of the snow here melted today. So, I have to come up with another way to showcase them. With this picture, I stacked four photos (first try at stacking) and the detail suprised me (although it has lost some detail from compression).

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Hi all,

This is my first real post on any site whatsoever as I am a definitely a noob. However, I thought this might be interesting. I was struggling to think of things to photograph, so last night I filled some balloons with water and food coloring and hung them from a tree outside to freeze. I only opened one today and this is what I found. Unfortunately, I had planned on making eight of different colors and placing them in the snow, but all of the snow here melted today. So, I have to come up with another way to showcase them. With this picture, I stacked four photos (first try at stacking) and the detail suprised me (although it has lost some detail from compression).

Hi there Crockinator and welcome to the Dgrin Forum :D

Gosh I thought that was a shot of frozen Lemon till I read your text rolleyes1.gif
    Thats a clever idea you've come up with using the balloons and coloured water then freezing them, and what an excellent result too clap.gif

Enjoy the forum Crockinator, and please keep posting, by the looks of this shot Im sure we are going to see some interesting work coming from you.
    ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CrockinatorCrockinator Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2007
    Thanks Skippy,

I love the site, am looking forward to posting more, and have been a lurker for awhile. For a new photographer, I have to say that it can be a little intimidating between learning what can be done with the camera, photoshop, etc. I guess the hardest part is getting a picture that even remotely resembles what it looks like in my head beforehand.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    What a really neat idea. It looks so interesting. I enjoy seeing that kind of creative thinking - I try concept photography too but my ideas have not been that interesting yet.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Thatt's a pretty good idea, Crockinator. I think it would be cool to see them hanging. I wish I could see the bottom of this one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Im sitting here thinking.. how did they get them into the freezer ? I never assumed outside would get so cold that it would freeze rolleyes1.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    gus, i was thinking about freezer too. Hey, i have a chest freezer, that might work. Cool picture! Now, i wish i had snow, so i can go and freez stuff around here :ivar
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited February 18, 2007
    Actually, I put fishing line in the balloon before I tied it off and hung it in a tree with twine. However, because the fishing line had no resistance, it pulled right out. Next time I will put a few knots in the fishing line and see if that works. The original plan was to make about 10 of them and hang them from a tree for the photo.

And to be honest, the deep freeze didn't even occur to me until my wife reminded me that we have one in the garage that we never put anything in. It would be difficult to get that teardrop look though.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Great Idea, I would like to see different colored ones hanging in a tree. If you make the knots big enough it may work, or possibly a small hook might help.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    That looks great! And what a great idea. I thought it was a macro of a Christmas light bulb at first, or a strange egg yolk. :D
    edited February 19, 2007
    Thanks,

That one is totally gone now, since it went from -5 the night before last to 50+ today. I had to put the other seven in the deep freeze until I can decide what to do with them.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Actually, I put fishing line in the balloon before I tied it off and hung it in a tree with twine. However, because the fishing line had no resistance, it pulled right out. Next time I will put a few knots in the fishing line and see if that works. The original plan was to make about 10 of them and hang them from a tree for the photo.

And to be honest, the deep freeze didn't even occur to me until my wife reminded me that we have one in the garage that we never put anything in. It would be difficult to get that teardrop look though.

Don't know what weight of fishing line you used but try 25 - 50 lb line and put either a small octopus hook or something similar the keep it in the ice....

As for the tear drop shape as you got in the tree....relatively simple....
    Most chest freesers have a couple of hanfing baskets for itms such as rolled meat and bread stuffs....separate them a foor or so and use a 3/4'' dowel rod to hang your specimens from...just make sure there is nothing for the water filled ballon to touch or that will leave an impression in the balloon.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website