Options

Charge for mileage or for travel time?

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited February 20, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone!

Since I just moved to Orange County, I need to consider the costs of travel. What does everyone else charge? Do you charge per mile or per hour due to traffic?

Could anyone provide actual numbers?

Thanks!!!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Anyone? ne_nau.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Here is an idea you might not have thought of yet. People generally dislike add on charges, so why not figure out the average travel cost, and roll that into your price. Most of the time you will come out right, some will be net gain, and some will cost you, but in the end you will have those costs covered adequately.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Hi neighbour
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Anyone? ne_nau.gif

I specified "free within 20 miles of %my zipcod%", and mentioned that the fees may apply otherwise. Thus far all my takers were local, so I never had to play this card yet...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Here is an idea you might not have thought of yet. People generally dislike add on charges, so why not figure out the average travel cost, and roll that into your price. Most of the time you will come out right, some will be net gain, and some will cost you, but in the end you will have those costs covered adequately.

I like that - I try to keep things simple and that would work perfect. Do you have a limit though, such as 60-80 miles?

Thanks Shay!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I specified "free within 20 miles of %my zipcod%", and mentioned that the fees may apply otherwise. Thus far all my takers were local, so I never had to play this card yet...

HTH

Thanks Nikolai - I'm in San Clemente (south OC) and I've been getting some hits in northern OC, San Diego, etc so the mileage is pretty high (50-60 miles). I haven't been excepting the jobs because of the distance, and lately I've realized that it's going to be pretty common down here!

- Kevin
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I like that - I try to keep things simple and that would work perfect. Do you have a limit though, such as 60-80 miles?

Thanks Shay!

I have three zones, up to 120 miles for no extra charge, up to 400 miles for nominal extra fee, and then a national or internation travel zone which is of course a custom fee based on where, when, and such.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    I have three zones, up to 120 miles for no extra charge, up to 400 miles for nominal extra fee, and then a national or internation travel zone which is of course a custom fee based on where, when, and such.

Cool - thanks Shay!

- Kevin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007

I think Shay's approach is very nice-and-wise. thumb.gif

At this point I intentionally limit all my ads to the local market only, hence my relatively small "free zone". ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think Shay's approach is very nice-and-wise. thumb.gif

At this point I intentionally limit all my ads to the local market only, hence my relatively small "free zone". ne_nau.gif

Thanks Nikolai!

- Kevin
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Are you writing off your business milages for tax purposes? I think the rate is 48.5 cents per mile.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I add 100 miles roundtrip into my pricing, and charge an extra 25 bucks if I need to go into manhatten. figure 5 for the tunnel and 20 for 3 hours parking...