Today is National Check your ISO day...

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited March 1, 2007 in Cameras
:D So yeah this weekend I went shooting with my 70-200 and forgot my ISO had been set to 800 from a couple days before.... So needless to say there was some noise. I feel so dumb for not checking it first.

So folks do yourself a favor and check your ISO today. :rofl
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Geez, that NEVER happens to merolleyes1.gif

I was shooting one of my boys in a well lit room the other day and wondering why the images looked so bright with not enough contrast on the LCD...DOH, I was shooting ISO400 instead of ISO100 (which gives me the best balance on my camera)...so I promptly deleted the technically embarrasing shots and reshot the series...

Glad to see my memory lapse is normal among aspiring photogs...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Try shooting a Sunset at 1600 :)

I caught it like 5 minutes later, but we had to do a bit of extra hiking back on to a location, thank goodness my dog not much of a complainer when it comes to hiking

Ty
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    I should have been tipped off when I was getting 1/2000 of a second for my shutter speed. :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • e4ymode4ymod Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2007
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I shot fireworks at 1600 once. Not a good idea. :bash
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    I'm trying to make myself do a "preflight check" before taking the camera out. (Not that I always remember.)

_ Battery charged?
    _ Card in camera?
    _ Space available on card?
    _ Lens clean?
    _ ISO setting appropriate?
    _ Autofocus setting appropriate?
    _ White balance setting appropriate?
    _ Set for RAW? (hate it when dial gets knocked into wrong position)

...go flight!
    edited February 19, 2007
    Unfortunately I don't get to do a pre-flight check for most of my shots. I usually only have 24 milliseconds to get the camera cranked up, focused, and fire away..I use a nuclear powered camera to get it up and going that quickly...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    edited February 19, 2007
    Just to clarify, I don't mean a preflight check before each shot. I mean checking before I leave the house with the camera, so my first few shots in full sun aren't with the settings that were for last night's flash photos.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm trying to make myself do a "preflight check" before taking the camera out. (Not that I always remember.)

_ Battery charged?
    _ Card in camera?
    _ Lens clean?

...go flight!

How about battery in camera........not in the case you left behind. I just did that one last week. So add 'open' battery compartment and verify that I have one just like I do with my compactflash card!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    cwphotos wrote:
    :D So yeah this weekend I went shooting with my 70-200 and forgot my ISO had been set to 800 from a couple days before.... So needless to say there was some noise. I feel so dumb for not checking it first.

So folks do yourself a favor and check your ISO today. rolleyes1.gif

11doh.gifyaargh! I did that yesterday trying to get some slick creek/running water shots, stop action shots and flow shots. The day (actually, the hour) was flip-flopping sunny 16, cloudy 8, and darker. Tried some more portraity stuff handheld so I bumped the ISO, forgot it when I was on the 'pod, looking for long shutter speeds without over exposing. Don't know how noisy they are yet.

Bleh.
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    How about battery in camera........not in the case you left behind. I just did that one last week. So add 'open' battery compartment and verify that I have one just like I do with my compactflash card!!! rolleyes1.gif

i did that last weekend with my speedlite....i had to borrow 4 AAs (luckily it takes those!) from the client, how embarrassing! luckily they were relatives....they love me even though I'm a space cadet.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Because I only have 2 gray cells (and one of those is starting to show signs of wear), I do a post- and pre-flight check (when I can remember!).

• Set FEC and EC to 0
    • Remove battery and charg it
    • Remove CF and download it to computer
    • Check lenses - do they need cleaning, etc
    Pre:
    • Check ISO to make sure it's still at 100, 'cause I only have one working gray cell
    • Check FEC and EC, for same reason
    • Insert battery and check charge. Replace battery if I forgot to charge it. I have 4 batteries, so I'm pretty sure to find one with a charge.
    • Grab some CF cards. Format them all NOW, not when I need a new card.
    This almost always prevents me from shooting in sunny 16 at ISO 1600 and EC +2, but not always!

Why do I set the ISO to 100 and the FEC and EC to zero. 'Cause I it's usually dark when I need to adjust the ISO, FEC, and EC to something else and if I know the starting point it's just easier - I know which way to turn the dials.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif

Had this happen just on Sunday. I was shooting some scenes in a dark building and because of it I neglected to see that I had adjusted the ISO instead of shutter speed. It took me a while to figure out that my ISO was 1200 but the 80000000000 shutter speed outdoors in the bright snow clued me in.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

_ Battery charged?
    _ Card in camera?
    _ Lens clean?

...go flight!

Don't forget:
    _ Metering set correctly
    _ Mode correct (Av, Tv, M, dummy mode?)
    _ Drive setting
    and of course the most important ones
    _ Camera On (all the way to the funny angle for us Canon shooter)
    _ Lens cap OFF!

Yup, after a couple of mid-afternoon shoots with the camera set for a dark theater I now do a complete pre-flight at the beginning of the day.

BTW, Mr. H2O, mine starts up in 20 milliseconds. :ivar:davidto
    edited February 20, 2007

BTW, Mr. H2O, mine starts up in 20 milliseconds. :ivar:davidto

Yea, but is it NUCLEAR POWERED!:giggle
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I would never do something so silly as forgetting to reset my ISO. Of course, I can't tell you the number of times I hit the shutter, only to have the self-timer start beeping, because I had been shooting on the tripod the night before and forgot to switch out of timer mode eek7.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Yea, but is it NUCLEAR POWERED!:giggle

Nah, it uses Mr. Fusion. blbl.gif
    edited February 21, 2007
    saurora wrote:

Actually, I do both the battery and card check by trying to remember to flip the On switch before leaving. If the display lights up normal, then both the battery and card are present and I can just turn it off and go. If either is missing, it's going to be pretty obvious on the display. In addition, it tells me if I'm using a charged battery, and how close my card is to being full. Then I can take care of them before heading out.
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I was thinking about this thread this weekend....

I went to London this weekend and was shooting some landscapes. I went into the British Museum (which allows photography and switched to my brand new 24-70 2.8 and was disappointed as to how slow the shutter was. I then realized (after being in the museum for an hour) that my ISO was still at 200.

Needless to say, I set it at 800 and reshot some of the pictures I had already taken. Luckily my girlfriend was only too happy to spend time in the gift shop.

Yeah, so I have about 2 brain cells as well.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Heya Dean,
    cwphotos wrote:

So folks do yourself a favor and check your ISO today. rolleyes1.gif

You sound like one of them nikon guys:-)
    ISO800? So what?
    Here's ISO1600 shot from my last weekend "L.A Race for The Cure" coverage:

132128179-L.jpg

No special treatment, except some ACR 4.0 deal.gif
    See much noise? mwink.gif

Don't get me wrong, forgetting to switch ISO to lower value seems to be a fairly common mistake, I guess. But is it as disastrous as it may sound? I honestly don't think so (not in Sea World, at least:-).
    Nevertheless, the safety shift feature on MarkIII makes this baby even more desirable:-)

Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    ISO 3200 anyone
    :cry OK me too rolleyes1.gifI'd been messing around at home seeing just how dark 20mm f1.8 and ISO3200 could go and of course forgot to re-set the ISO.

Here's the result

http://www.pbase.com/howards/image/74941344

My respect for the 20D has increased. Normally I use AV or manual but I saw these guys and just flicked the dial to P for speed, serves me right I guess.
  • belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    saurora wrote:

OH MY GOD! I DID THIS! ONlY WORSE!
    I was flying to Las Vegas to shoot Miss America this year. mwink.gif I was 2 hours out, on my way to the airport, already late, before I realized I left my charger back at my apartment. :splat Not the battery, but the charger... Its a KM Maxxum 5D, who caries that anymore? No one... :uhoh My housemate had to overnight the charger to Las Vegas... rolleyes1.gif

Wow, I'll never do that again. eek7.gif

My preflight is rock solid now... You learn fast when you get burnt like that...... :bash
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")