creating a new gallery just like the others

jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited February 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I want to create a new gallery and, naturally, have all its settings match those of my other galleries. One might think this would be the simplest thing in the world. However, I have never been able to to this without tediously setting everything by hand in the new gallery. And, since I don't do this every day, I forget what the settings are - so I have to flip back and forth to an existing gallery to get the settings to match.

I tried SmugBrowser and while it's a lot better than the web UI, there's still no way to copy another gallery's settings.

Let's not even get into "Bulk Settings". I've spent a lot of time trying to make that work and either it doesn't work, or it works in a way I can't grasp.

I see there are a number of 3rd-party management tools for SmugMug. Is there one that has a way to copy gallery settings, or that maintains a notion of your "default" settings for a new gallery?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Jim, what is it about quick settings that's giving you fits? We can help. I create new galleries all day long, and use quick settings templates without fail. I'm sure we can help you!
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Andy, I don't mean to be a pain. I haven't been creating new galleries lately so I forget how bulk settings/quick settings work. Previously I got frustrated when I couldn't find a way to apply settings to several galleries at once. I really don't believe that works. However, that's not what I'm trying to do now so I'll revisit it and maybe I will succeed.

The web interface for gallery settings is a bit, well, idiosyncratic. What I'd like is something more like SmugBrowser where I see a tree of my site, be able to right-click on a gallery and get a Properties dialog. Then, I want to be able to select muliple galleries and apply the same properties to all; or do a copy-and-paste of settings; and have my default settings saved for reuse. SmugBrowser's tree view and property dialogs are so obvious and so 'standard' that no explanation is required; but it won't do everything I want.

I was actually thinking someone must have created something like this by now.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    2 Steps...
    1. Save an existing Gallery's settings as a "Quick setting" (you provide a name like "My Default")
    2. When creating a new gallery, you select the quick setting you created (My Default) from the drop down list
    try it - go into the "customize gallery" screen of the gallery that already has the settings the way you like em.

On the top of the screen, in the Quick Settings dropdown,
    select: Save settings below as...

A box appears to type in a name for the quick settings (like "My Default")

Hit save.

When you create a new gallery, "My Default" will always be there in the Quick setting drop down....

sure, the gui could be different.... but it isn't.
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    That works - thanks.

I've never been able to apply settings to a group of galleries at once. But, that's not something I need to do right now.