Options

Change.

CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited February 23, 2007 in People
Open for interpretation this time around.

4gdp6bb.jpg

change09wt0.jpg

change02th2.jpg

change20ft9.jpg

-Cody Weber Photography.
There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
Cody Weber Photography.
Gallery -- Journal

Comments

• Options
    CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Come on people!
    I worked hard on these.
    xD
    There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I love the shots man, but I'm not sure what to say, I haven't really critiqued before... er...

I am a high and hard contrast person myself. Some people like soft, perhaps dreamy, photographs. Whereas I like my photographs saturated, sharp, strong (and alas, I am stuck upholding the "Pageant Photographer" facade for my clients... bah). You hit all these points in your work (I am a fan), but I'm not really sure what I can add...

For those reasons, I like each of these, but am less a fan of second. Just because there is an edge the photos have, and that one is out of focus (the water is sharp, so I am assuming thats the focus of the shot...). Unfortunately, the two are together, so there is probably a connection, to which I am hopelessly lost... alas...

Moving on, I love your use of close-ups. Particularly in the 3rd 5th and 6th shots. I love the 6th shot for its saturation. Soiled hands. Something is amiss. Enjoyed.

I can't get past the feeling that your friend is biting a curb (or a large section of concrete as it may be) in number 5. American History X much? Actually, as I come back up through the photos in reverse... I think I see a theme...

Dude...

I love that your dark...
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    After that last thread...perhaps some are just too tired to comment for fear of another drag out thread.

Cody I like your work...it's different. Good Job Dude!thumb.gif
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Well... I just don't connect to them. I find #3 amusing, but I've never been into earth tones so there isn't much in this last batch for me. ne_nau.gif

Technically however, they seem dead on.
    --Kres
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    The only one that comes close to "speaking" to me is the third one, it reminds me of how a mobster (perhaps) would place one's mouth on the curb, then step on his...well anyway that's where it took me. What can I say?ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Jeffro, that's exactly what I thought-- he was about to get curbed.

I'm a sucker for dirty hand shots, but not when the dirt is so smeared on and muddy. Not sure why. I mean, the fourth photo is well balanced and composed and so forth, but that he's got 'dirt on his hands'-- it's almost too much, like he's wallowing in guilt. Which may, of course, be the whole point.

The first two diptychs also suggest this 'washing away' of sins-- but if that were the case, then maybe you should have your dark-winged angel give him a baptism instead :) Or maybe zoom in on the dirt being washed away by the water in the second panel.

They are provocative shots, in that they make me think about shots I'd want to take. Not in the same vein, but there are images that they bring to mind I'd like to explore.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    The first two diptychs also suggest this 'washing away' of sins-- but if that were the case, then maybe you should have your dark-winged angel give him a baptism instead :) Or maybe zoom in on the dirt being washed away by the water in the second panel.
    I wonder if you would connect these images to spirituality if you had not seen the previous threads? I mean the first two images could be someone coming home from playing football in the mud, actually the mud on his face made me think of gsgary's great rugby images. I don't think these images get your perceived point across without more context in them.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ChrisBlazeChrisBlaze Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    very very very different thumb.gif
    Visit my gallery

www.chrisblaze.net
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    I wonder if you would connect these images to spirituality if you had not seen the previous threads? I mean the first two images could be someone coming home from playing football in the mud, actually the mud on his face made me think of gsgary's great rugby images. I don't think these images get your perceived point across without more context in them.

I don't connect them spiritualy... I kind of connect them racialy... criminaly...

But as I said, I dig 'em.
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    gluwater wrote:

Heh-- maybe so. I just don't see Cody doing anything that doesn't have a point to it, some kind of theme. While, yes, he could be coming in from the outside and have done something like playing rugby, I still think the idea is 'covered in dirt/relieved to be clean'. Still works with sports, but what I was trying to say is that the shot of cleaning, to me, doesn't convey the relief I feel whenever I get that much dirt off of me (spiritual or otherwise). Hence the suggestion of a closeup of dirt coming off the face, of individual flakes coming off, maybe even of the muscles themselves being massaged by water as the mud comes off. It could be spiritual, or purely physical, or whatever.

But that's what I meant when I said they were provocative, and they make me think of shots I'd like to take and how to take them. In that sense, I think they're great shots.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    Heh-- maybe so. I just don't see Cody doing anything that doesn't have a point to it, some kind of theme. While, yes, he could be coming in from the outside and have done something like playing rugby, I still think the idea is 'covered in dirt/relieved to be clean'. Still works with sports, but what I was trying to say is that the shot of cleaning, to me, doesn't convey the relief I feel whenever I get that much dirt off of me (spiritual or otherwise). Hence the suggestion of a closeup of dirt coming off the face, of individual flakes coming off, maybe even of the muscles themselves being massaged by water as the mud comes off. It could be spiritual, or purely physical, or whatever.

But that's what I meant when I said they were provocative, and they make me think of shots I'd like to take and how to take them. In that sense, I think they're great shots.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out and the comment wasn't directed towards you specifically, especially when I said "I don't think these images get your perceived point across without more context in them.". That was meant towards Cody.
    mmroden wrote:
    I just don't see Cody doing anything that doesn't have a point to it, some kind of theme.
    This statement kind of proves my point though. If you saw these images without knowing any background on the photographer would you have felt the same way towards them? Most times when people see a photograph they have no background on the photographer or the situation the images were taken in. So the images have to speak for themselves. I do not think these do. Not that they are bad images or poorly taken, just that they need more context to be effective.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out and the comment wasn't directed towards you specifically, especially when I said "I don't think these images get your perceived point across without more context in them.". That was meant towards Cody.
    Oh, don't apologize. Your point is well taken, and I'm not offended or anything. Even if it wasn't directed at me, interpreting it as being directed at me means I'll get to do some self-examination in order to frame an answer. What's art without a little self-exploration?

gluwater wrote:
    This statement kind of proves my point though. If you saw these images without knowing any background on the photographer would you have felt the same way towards them? Most times when people see a photograph they have no background on the photographer or the situation the images were taken in. So the images have to speak for themselves. I do not think these do. Not that they are bad images or poorly taken, just that they need more context to be effective.
    It's an interesting point, to which I'd say two things. First, the color scheme and the methods used to portray the images practically scream with 'message'. It's the same color scheme or style I've seen in all of his shots, so I find the methods which he's using pregnant with meaning. Why I do that is an interesting question in and of itself. Perhaps he's training my brain to think this way, or maybe my brain has been pretrained. Whatever it is, the lighting and the presentation is a bit different than baby pictures. But second, I don't think that, in this case, the first image in particular succeeds in the goals that are begged by the color scheme, and I think the shot could have been more dramatically portrayed. No need to belabor that point.

The more that I think about it, though, the more I'm interested in the technique used which basically states, "Pay attention to this photo. It is important." through the use of color and lighting. Sometimes, the content isn't so important to have warranted the use of the severity of the color and lighting, but that's part of the point of trying to make good art (in my opinion)-- try to get all the elements to come together into a cohesive whole, and these all have technical aspects that further beg the question of meaning.