Options

Need postcards... who should I use?

Schuyler83Schuyler83 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited February 27, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a customer that wants to order 165 postcards... thru ez prints they're $1.95 each :huh. I don't think she'll go for that... does anyone have any ideas of other labs to use that may do this cheaper, without sacrificing any quality?

Comments

• Options
    Schuyler83Schuyler83 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Anyone have any experience with Snapfish.com?
    Schuyler83 wrote:
    I have a customer that wants to order 165 postcards... thru ez prints they're $1.95 each eek7.gif. I don't think she'll go for that... does anyone have any ideas of other labs to use that may do this cheaper, without sacrificing any quality?
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    snapfish
    I have used snapfish to print some postcards. My wife and I used them as birth annoncements for our 2nd child. They came out great so they get a recommendation from me :)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    I have used snapfish to print some postcards. My wife and I used them as birth annoncements for our 2nd child. They came out great so they get a recommendation from me :)

i use vista print a lot with customers, they're super cheap, decent quality (watch your trim though) and even though they have vistaprints tiny logo on them, most folks don't notice or mind.

they're cheap enough you can pad a bit of profit in for yourself for the time and design effort.

i use their 4x6 postcards in lieu of business cards, personally.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    I have used snapfish to print some postcards.

halliday, that is the most amazing avatar. i just looooove that picture. wow.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    RetaggerRetagger Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Vista Print
    Hello,

I also use Vista Print with great success. I order postcards in batches of 5,000 of each photo at .03 (US) each and sell them to owners of tourist shops in Portugal for .30 (Euro) each and they in turn sell them for .50 (Euro). We all make money and the cards are of a great quality. I am making more money because I am purchasing my items in dollars and selling them in Euros, which is an extra 30% profit from the start not including my markup. The postacrds I purchase are glossy on the from and black and white (Flat) on ther rear. I also include a short story describing each photograph with room left for a short written note from the purschaser. Since I travel to Portugal several times per year, I carry the postcards with me to re-supply the shops which saves on shipping. (Last time I had four suitcases full - No problems with Customs).

Just remember, the more you buy, the cheaper they are. I also order 4x6 magnets and calenders. Good luck. They often run specials where they will give you a code to receive at least another 20% off of your order. When and if you do decide to order from them, call them first and request a cheaper price - 90% of the time, they will give you a discount code to enter when you are processing your order on line.

The tiny Vista Print logo can easly be removed from the "Edit" feature on their website.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Is Vista Print a decent place to get business cards printed? I'd be looking to get glossy both side prints made.
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Schuyler83 wrote:
    I have a customer that wants to order 165 postcards... thru ez prints they're $1.95 each eek7.gif. I don't think she'll go for that... does anyone have any ideas of other labs to use that may do this cheaper, without sacrificing any quality?

I just ordered business cards through overnightprints.com. They turned out great. Good quality card stock, glossy UV coating, exactly what I ordered. I ordered them on Monday and got them on Wednesday. I also had a coupon code for $10 off (NEWYEAR) so my $9.95 order was basically free except for shipping and handling.

But I have to say I've read horror stories about their customer service, so I'm recommending them based on my experience, but don't know how many others would agree with me.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    I recently ran into the same problem. I needed 100 postcards for baby announcements and $195 was a bit steep. So I did MPix and the price was more like $45.

Its $16.08 to $21.12 for a set of 24 depending on size and gloss or matte then discounts for 2 or more sets.

http://www.mpix.com/productsinfo.aspx?prod=18

The quality was excellent, however you need to download their application to create the postcard.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    make sure to look at WHCC they sent me their sample package and it seems very nice.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Halliday wrote:

Snapfish quality was decent, not great. Certainly not Smugmug quality.... I've printed announcements, I've moved cards, holiday cards and MUCH more through them for years....

But the thing that killed them for me was when they they printed and sent 40 cards to my clients - with the wrong photo! (They sent them, not me - per my request.) Their way to resolve the problem? Refund my money. They would NOT reprint them. Turns out that the photo they switched with my custom made card was from a couple who had a shot of their kids (teens) on the front and THEY ordered from NetPost!

Anyway.... Because of the VERY poor customer service and the horrible response, I wouldn't recommend them anymore. :cry