Photo Info/exif - Details - no Lattitude/Longitude?

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I just updated the geographical location on some pics using my gps tracklog and RoboGEO... I know SmugMug can see it cus MapThis! works.

I noticed that if I hit Picture Info / exif display, I can't see the location information (lattitude/longitude) that is stored in the Exif... should be in the details section I suppose.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    I just updated the geographical location on some pics using my gps tracklog and RoboGEO... I know SmugMug can see it cus MapThis! works.

I noticed that if I hit Picture Info / exif display, I can't see the location information (lattitude/longitude) that is stored in the Exif... should be in the details section I suppose.

It's a good question, perhaps bwg can include it in future versions of the Exif viewer tool. Thanks dmc thumb.gif

But this begs a question - the actual exif geo data- it's kinda meaningless in the exif viewer in a numerical fashion, but maybe bwg can come up with something sexy :D
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    But this begs a question - the actual exif geo data- it's kinda meaningless in the exif viewer in a numerical fashion, but maybe bwg can come up with something sexy :D

Sexy is nice, but the numerical info is good to have as well. It can be cut and pasted elsewhere to create a waypoint, look up a location, etc.
  • TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    Sexy is nice, but the numerical info is good to have as well. It can be cut and pasted elsewhere to create a waypoint, look up a location, etc.

Well, from the looks of Andy in his new avatar, I'm not sure I really want to bring up a privacy concern again....but here goes: don't forget that some folks don't want to show family locations to strangers. Yes, we can make galleries private/passworded if we're willing to accept the loss of smugmug features, and we can turn off mapping in public galleries...but what happens if we put a photo of something in our backyard into a public gallery and EXIF shows enough info for strangers to map the way to our house? Unless Smugmug allows this information to be coded as public/private independantly of the image, we might as well include mapquest links in the caption for every photo!

BTW....for folks that allow downloading of originals...don't forget that EXIF information travels along with digital photos!

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    TheDuck wrote:
    Well, from the looks of Andy in his new avatar, I'm not sure I really want to bring up a privacy concern again....but here goes: don't forget that some folks don't want to show family locations to strangers. Yes, we can make galleries private/passworded if we're willing to accept the loss of smugmug features, and we can turn off mapping in public galleries...but what happens if we put a photo of something in our backyard into a public gallery and EXIF shows enough info for strangers to map the way to our house? Unless Smugmug allows this information to be coded as public/private independantly of the image, we might as well include mapquest links in the caption for every photo!

BTW....for folks that allow downloading of originals...don't forget that EXIF information travels along with digital photos!

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
    hmmm, I had not thought of it this way... I was actually thinking that when smugmug displays the coordinates, they could also ad a google maps url (with coords embedded) that took you right to that location... kind of the opposite of your concern.

I would agree with you if camera's were putting the coords in.... but they don't. (I know, a couple can, and in the future, they all will) so the coords are only in pics where I put them in... so if it is a sensitive location (my backyard) I may think twice about updating pics with that geography... good point.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    TheDuck wrote:
    Well, from the looks of Andy in his new avatar, I'm not sure I really want to bring up a privacy concern again....
    Au contraire, mon ami - we want you to tell it like it is. Anytime you wish. Oh, and we're listening deal.gif