Ars Technica Lightroom Review (vs. Aperture)

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited March 5, 2007 in Finishing School
Good review of Lightroom here, especially considering Aperture. Lots of good technical info about the differences between the two programs that I didn't realize.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I like the site, and the review is satisfyingly thorough. I still don't know why I need both Lightroom and Photoshop, though. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Good review of Lightroom here, especially considering Aperture. Lots of good technical info about the differences between the two programs that I didn't realize.
    Thanks for pointing this out. For the highly geeky, there is a discussion about this article on Slashdot right now. FWIW.

Cheers,
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I like the site, and the review is satisfyingly thorough. I still don't know why I need both Lightroom and Photoshop, though. headscratch.gif

You don't need both. I'd say you need PS. LR adds a far more powerful and user friendly RAW developing platform as well as a much more intuitive image management system than Bridge. LR will allow you to get your RAW files developed much faster than PS and cut down on your PS workload as all the exposure, curve adjustments, cropping and 90% of the color management is done in LR. Retouching and the use of various filters is still done in PS.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    truth wrote:
    You don't need both. I'd say you need PS. LR adds a far more powerful and user friendly RAW developing platform as well as a much more intuitive image management system than Bridge. LR will allow you to get your RAW files developed much faster than PS and cut down on your PS workload as all the exposure, curve adjustments, cropping and 90% of the color management is done in LR. Retouching and the use of various filters is still done in PS.

Am I reading that wrong? Because it doesn't seem to make any sense. You say "I'd say you need PS," but then you go on to explain all the great things LR does. eek7.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Am I reading that wrong? Because it doesn't seem to make any sense. You say "I'd say you need PS," but then you go on to explain all the great things LR does. eek7.gif

You can do all those thing with PS / Camera RAW but LR does them better.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    If you work on tons of photos at once, Lightroom will probably be worth it in the time savings and efficiency of corrections, even if you already own Photoshop.

If you only work on one or two images at a time, and aren't paid for it, it's probably more reasonable to stick with Photoshop/Bridge/Camera Raw, especially with the enhancements to those apps in CS3 that bring it even with Lightroom. You have the same features plus everything else that Photoshop can do.

But look what I had to write there. With Photoshop, three programs are needed to accomplish the core digital camera processing tasks Lightroom does all by itself, and coordinating those three programs to process a large shoot can sometimes be exasperating. That's why Lightroom exists. There was a major opportunity to streamline for folks who do a lot of volume processing with digital camera files.
    edited February 21, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    If you work on tons of photos at once, Lightroom will probably be worth it in the time savings and efficiency of corrections, even if you already own Photoshop.
    Thanks, that's what I figured. It's a bulk management tool.

I don't shoot enough good shots to need something like that. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    An 'evolving' comparison between Aperture and Lightroom will unfold here.
    It should be interesting. I'm prepared to sit back and watch for the moment.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

It replaces Bridge and ACR, and adds more workflow at the same time.
    edited February 27, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    It replaces Bridge and ACR, and adds more workflow at the same time.
    But I get both of those with Photoshop.

Why pay a minimum of $200 extra for something I already have? ne_nau.gif

I think I understand some of the workflow benefits. Seems to me they are only relevant for high volume processing.
    Sid.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    But I get both of those with Photoshop.

Why pay a minimum of $200 extra for something I already have? ne_nau.gif

I think I understand some of the workflow benefits. Seems to me they are only relevant for high volume processing.

They're relevant for high volumes. Aperture is SUBSTANTIALLY faster for going through 5,000 images than is Bridge -- For comparison and selecting "keeper" images there is really no comparison at all. Lightroom also is a help -- it's not as good at compare/select as is Aperture, but it's a bit stronger on some editing functionality.

If you come from a 4x5 film background and shoot only landscapes then you probably don't need anything of the sort mwink.gif