Options

ISO Settings?

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in Technique
Ok I see alot of talk about shooting at high iso. I haven't done much of it myself cause I have been warned about high noise levels. I'm shooting that old 10D. Anyone have any hands on with shooting a 10D at high ISO. What about the noise levels in the photos? Is there software to correct the noise without loosing sharpness?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Personally, I find the noise level at 1600 on the 10d unacceptably high, and at 3200 it's atrocious. Digital noise and nice oldfashioned film grain are definitely not the same for me.

You can try a kind of gaussian blur function, but really I'm not a fan. I've just upgraded to the 20d, but when I was still on the 10d, I went out of my way to stay below 1600 if at all possible.

I'd import an appropriate photo, but my server here is down. Will try and add it on Monday.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 21, 2005
    Ok I see alot of talk about shooting at high iso. I haven't done much of it myself cause I have been warned about high noise levels. I'm shooting that old 10D. Anyone have any hands on with shooting a 10D at high ISO. What about the noise levels in the photos? Is there software to correct the noise without loosing sharpness?

The 10D does fairly well up to ISO 400. After that noise becomes more obvious. I find that the 20D or 1DMkll can be shot at 1000 pretty nicely. This image was shot at 800 with a 1DMKll
    13531866-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Noise & NeatImage
    I've been using NeatImage for Mac (been out for a few months at least) and it can help a lot. Here's a before and after of a 1DmkII image shot at iso 1600:

14509694-L.jpg

14533445-L.jpg

I also used curves to lighten it a just a bit.

NeatImage can do all kinds of things (glamor photographers love it), but I don't really have complete control over it yet. In fact I find I do best if I use it in one exact way:
    1. Get image into PS as directly as possible. If raw, don't change exposure.
    2. Use NeatImage with camera presents for appropriate iso. Never allow it to sharpen itself unless this will be the final step.
    3. Use shadow/highlights, curves, &etc to restore detail, correct color, whatever.
    4. Sharpen with CSPro or USM
    It's important that sharpening be the final step as it tends to reintroduce noise which will then be exegerated by step 3.
    If not now, when?