Good choice for really big landscapes

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited February 22, 2007 in Cameras
I'm going to Glacier National Park for the 2007 Shootout and I'm not sure I have a wide enough lens for landscapes this grand. I have a Sigma 17-70. Is that wide enough or do I need to seriouslly consider something like the Canon 10-22? I'm likely going to rent a lens (or multiple) rather than buy for the trip, since I do not do much landscape work, so I'm not worried about cost as much as I am being in a great place with a poor choice of lenses.
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    The Canon 10-22 seems to be the wide angle of choice for the APS sensor cameras from Canon.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I'm going to Glacier National Park for the 2007 Shootout and I'm not sure I have a wide enough lens for landscapes this grand. I have a Sigma 17-70. Is that wide enough or do I need to seriouslly consider something like the Canon 10-22? I'm likely going to rent a lens (or multiple) rather than buy for the trip, since I do not do much landscape work, so I'm not worried about cost as much as I am being in a great place with a poor choice of lenses.

Terrence,

While you might truly appreciate the wider angle-of-view of a super-wide lens, you can also achieve great vistas using the method of stitched images.

This has the added advantage of extra pixels, which can allow either greater detail or larger images or both.

The obvious disadvantages are that it takes extra time and care to create the stitched images, and it only works on static images.

If you rent a Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM, I'm sure you'll find many uses for it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Canon 10-22 seems to be the wide angle of choice for the APS sensor cameras from Canon.

Not all of us. The Tokina 12-24 gives it a run for its money & the choice between the two depend on your priorities (e.g., is that last 2mm more critical than the build & $200 price difference). Image quality is on par between them.

I have gotten some great grand vista landscapes from my 12-24/20D combo & don't really miss the 2mm. I have used to 10-22 as well, so have a point of reference.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Terrence,

While you might truly appreciate the wider angle-of-view of a super-wide lens, you can also achieve great vistas using the method of stitched images.

This has the added advantage of extra pixels, which can allow either greater detail or larger images or both.

The obvious disadvantages are that it takes extra time and care to create the stitched images, and it only works on static images.

If you rent a Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM, I'm sure you'll find many uses for it.

15524779-Ti.gif

This photo is a six-panel stitch, each panel taken in portrait orientation at 28mm on my 20D. I just rotated my hips for each click (i.e. no special pano head or anything). I used ArcSoft PhotoStitch (trial) and was very happy with the results. Follow the link to get the original (BIG).

121401613-L.jpg

Original: http://www.wellmanphoto.com/photos/121401613-O.jpg
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. The stitching looks really cool. Great job on that wellman! The cost of a rental is cheap, so I'll take the 10-22 with me and the 17-70 I own and play.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen