Options

President's Day Road Trip

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited March 1, 2007 in Journeys
Being that I had a three day weekend thanks to President's Day I decided to take a little road trip and eventually make it up to the Grand Canyon.

Saturday made the drive from Phoenix to Prescott and did some hiking around Willow and Watson Lake in an area known as the Dells. Not sure how the name came about but the rock features are compressed Granite eroded by wind and water over time.

131092732-L.jpg

A wider view- in the distance you can see the snow capped San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff- about 85 miles away.

131094021-L.jpg

131093199-L.jpg

Saturday evening I went to a local dive bar to watch my buddy perform. Dark bar with poor lighting made it pretty difficult to capture the Heavy Metal Rockers.

131091535-L.jpg

131090300-L.jpg

131088965-L.jpg

Sunday morning my ears were still ringing but I started my drive to the Grand Canyon in hopes of some fantastic views and pictures.

Had to stop in Williams for gas which is on Route 66

131103610-L.jpg

There are plenty of tourist traps on the way to the canyon but I think this one stands out.

131103333-L.jpg

The original RV

131103518-L.jpg

Arrived to the canyon shortly after noon and spent the day checking out all the view points and shooting what I could

131102587-L.jpg

131102019-L.jpg

This is a view from an edge- I was on my belly looking down the cliff- it is a long ways down!!

131101557-L.jpg

131098716-L.jpg

That's me out on a ledge

131096950-L.jpg

And another- it was very cold and extremley windy- so much so that it would push me around a little bit and almost knoocked over the tripod and camera during this shot.

131096833-L.jpg

Then I saw a few of these and decided maybe that wasn't such a good idea!

131094757-L.jpg

Sunday morning brought the hopes of a great sunrise but instead it was cold- dark-

131095528-L.jpg

and crowded

131095442-L.jpg

Monday meant I needed to head home but I had time to check out Walnut Canyon just outside of Flagstaff. Walnut Canyon is one of many National Parks in Arizona that has cliff dwellings.

Looking down you can see the path and a person- yeap all the way down there.

131104197-L.jpg

Some of the ruin remains

131108164-L.jpg

131107150-L.jpg

From within looking out

131107339-L.jpg

131106765-L.jpg

More ruins in the surrounding cliffs

131104612-L.jpg

The snow started to fall and I still had 160 miles to drive so I decided it was time to head back up

Only 240 of these to the top

131104379-L.jpg

Thanks for looking- more photos can be found by clicking the links below

Walnut Canyon

Grand Canyon

Prescott AZ

Sundance's Bar- Metal Night
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    clap.gif really nice pics, thanks for sharing
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    And another- it was very cold and extremley windy- so much so that it would push me around a little bit and almost knoocked over the tripod and camera during this shot.

131096833-L.jpg

Wow, the ledge seemd to crack under your weight! :giggle
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Milan wrote:
    Wow, the ledge seemd to crack under your weight! :giggle

That's why the sign had even more significance! mwink.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    right on!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Aaron-you brought back some 40 yr old memories
    I visited Walnut Creek Canyon in 1963 with my parents. I remember being amazed that people built and lived in such an isolated environment. The trip up and down was arduous for many visitors. I rememder my father (he was in mid forties, overweight, and a smoker) gasping for breath half way back up. The stairway then was not concrete but an aluminum scaffolding. It looked really cold when you were there which makes me think about the original occupants. They must have had fires in their stone wall dwellings-looks like the overhanging rock wall is stained by smoke. Did they tell you much about the orig. inhabitants-was this a defensive position
    or was it the range of habitat that kept them there? Thanks for the memories- my Mom threw away all my Dad's slides after he died and I had forgotten about that trip..................Mereimage
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    mereimage wrote:
    I visited Walnut Creek Canyon in 1963 with my parents. I remember being amazed that people built and lived in such an isolated environment. The trip up and down was arduous for many visitors. I rememder my father (he was in mid forties, overweight, and a smoker) gasping for breath half way back up. The stairway then was not concrete but an aluminum scaffolding. It looked really cold when you were there which makes me think about the original occupants. They must have had fires in their stone wall dwellings-looks like the overhanging rock wall is stained by smoke. Did they tell you much about the orig. inhabitants-was this a defensive position
    or was it the range of habitat that kept them there? Thanks for the memories- my Mom threw away all my Dad's slides after he died and I had forgotten about that trip..................Mereimage

Glad I could bring back some memories for you. You are correct in that the inhabitants had made fires right inside the ruins. The walls are stained with soot still to this day which you can see a little bit in this picture.

131107602-L.jpg

I didn't read many of the facts of the area some thing I am always bad about (so much for being a photojournalist). I do remember there being signs about dry farming which they did on the side of these cliffs- it is a very strange area becuase one side is high desert and the other is Pine trees.
    This sign gives a little information about the terrain and the inhabitants- it is the only one I took a picture of

131105996-L.jpg

Aaron Newman

• Options
    Deano955Deano955 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Fantastic shots and thanks for posting. This is what I expect to see in a trip report!deal.gif
    Baldy owns my free time
    smugmug coupon 1qoLJk8tfsGWM
  • Options
    Tsu Dho NihmTsu Dho Nihm Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2007
    Beautiful shots.

I've got to get back to Arizona some time. On my only visit, the highlight was hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon by moonlight. It was a full moon, and with a couple head lamps, the light was perfect. Plus plenty of breaks to watch the moon rise over the canyon rim as he descended.

The hike back up, in the sun, was pretty brutal.
  • Options
    TexmjrTexmjr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 24, 2007
    Beautiful pictures. thumb.gif I love the one looking out from the dwelling...AWESOME!!
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Fantastic shots! And a great report. I enjoyed your trip. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Thanks for sharing these
    as I've always wanted to see the grand canyon. Yea, it looked cold and windy. Looks like the best opportunities there are with the perfect light (and preferrably less wind rolleyes1.gif). Nice job on these under those conditions. Looks like you did some real hiking.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Really nice photos. Thanks for having us along. I didn't know about Walnut State Park. Reminds me a bit of Mesa Verde, another cliff dwelling place. Great shot on 66, too.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    Jeff GeoghanJeff Geoghan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Were all those people there to shoot the sunrise? Seems like a bit of a stampede...

Great images - someday I'll get out there to see the GC. Can you believe we lived in Southern California for 12 years and never went out there? Sighne_nau.gif
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Interiors, Exteriors & Landscape
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net