Buildings, mannequins, coal vats

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Holy Macro
I comment more than I post photos in this forum, so here goes nothing! Lately I have been doing a lot of images of this nature, which doesn't really fall into the typical categories but I feel like I'm not quite participating in the game here. :rolleyes

Any feedback or CC is appreciated. :D

125981274-M.jpg

130522817-M.jpg

111376205-M.jpg

130520636-M.jpg

111392553-M.jpg

110016264-M.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    Neat stuff. I really like the composition of the last one. I also like the peeling paint of the boilers, if that's what they are. Good work.

Regards,
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I comment more than I post photos in this forum, so here goes nothing! Lately I have been doing a lot of images of this nature, which doesn't really fall into the typical categories but I feel like I'm not quite participating in the game here. rolleyes1.gif

Any feedback or CC is appreciated. :D

Nice work Schomooo, isn't it sad that these magnificient old buildings are allowed to go to ruin :cry in it's glory days I bet it was a Grand Old Building.

I see even the rows of chairs had metal Numbers marking the Rows.
    The old wooden backed chairs too ..... sad to see it in this state.

Are they planning to pull it down or renovate it?

Look at those ceilings .... I hope they choose to renovate it :D

Thanks for sharing, great work Schomooo .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Thanks for the comments! I feel the same about some of these buildings. So much "waste," though when you look at it from the owner's/city's point of view sometimes it is just easier to demolish a structure and build a new one than try to stablize and renovate.

The campus with the auditorium is currently undergoing renovation but I am having a bit of a brainfart about exactly what it is turning into. But not a lot of other old buildings are that lucky of course, and in this country with 100 years being such a long history, it's a shame.

That particular place had so many "ghosts" to me... not the kind that makes things move or weird noises, but the type that makes you misty-eyed with all the memories people must have made over the years. The bell tower on the top had chalk graffiti dating back to 1916. No amount of renovation can keep things like that!
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    111392553-M.jpg

All great shots, but this one is awesome, I love the textures, tonal range, colors and over all lighting thumb.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
  • Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Wow - very interesting place. I imagine you could spend hours shooting in there. Nice work.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    wow what a place very cool photography but what happened headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Thanks! and many, many hours/days. Some of these places I visited numerous occasions to get enough photo opportunities to satisfy me, and some still have uncharted (by me) territory. ;)

Nothing catastrophic happened in most of these types of places. It's usually a funding issue, running out of money, etc. Sometimes the workers know they'll be moving on:

123454114-M.jpg