Options

Newbie in all sense of the word.

trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited January 24, 2005 in Technique
I jumped into the digital photography world this christmas with a very much appreciated DSLR camera. Prior to this, I had a Nikon APS camera, which I pretty much used as point and shoot. While I am ok at getting shots for family events using the auto setting in my D70, I want to take it further. In order to do so, I need to learn about so many things. I was intorduced to this site by Pathfinder, and have found some very knowledgeable people here, helping total strangers. I ask for that assistance as well. I am a visual learner, and need to find a good book, site, resource on how the different ISO, f-stop and shutter settings affect my photo, so I can experiment. I dont know enough about what I dont know to know where to begin. Can someoone point me to a resource that has many visual examples to explain a goal I can achieve and what happens when you change one aspect of the technical. One I get that down, I will work on composition. Thaks for your time

trippy64
trippy64.smugmug.com
A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Just search every thing on the net...its perfect to learn from & when you dont get it....ask in here.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    well
    if you want a book Tom Hogan's giude to d70 is good .[its a cd ebook .read at the nikon site and look thru the threads here and read .click on shortcuts look at the sites that they refer you to .when i got my d70 6 months ago i took pics of my eye until i turned the camera around .look at pic by folks here that shoot nikon and that will help you with lens choice ect.there is so much on this site that refers you over to other sites it will keep you busy.then shoot a,lot thats what that delete button is for . Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Hi Trippy wave.gif welcome.. just hang around here a while and post LOTS of pictures.. with us tearing them to shreds you'll be bound to learn a lot rolleyes1.gif
    just kidding.. looking forward to learning with you 1drink.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Another visual learner here
    Here's one good site for visual learners:Monte Zucker

I was looking for the site that let you select an f-stop online and it would put up photo showing the effect of picking that f-stop. Anyone know what site that is?

This was of a person standing in the street by a building that receded in the distance. You could do the same by putting your camera on a tripod and just running through the different apertures on your camera and then studying the photos and the exif data.

And Better Photos has articles: Better Photo
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 24, 2005
    Welcome Trippy wave.gif

This site is full of helpful and very nice folks and I think you will like it here :D

Here's a link to a site that has been very helpful to me.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Feel free to ask questions anytime. Remember, the only dumb question, is the one you didn't ask.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 24, 2005
    Welcome Trippy wave.gif

This site is full of helpful and very nice folks and I think you will like it here :D

Here's a link to a site that has been very helpful to me.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Feel free to ask questions anytime. Remember, the only dumb question, is the one you didn't ask.

Steve

Hey Trippy, Welcome!

http://shortcourses.com/ has a lot of information about photography - digital and film - for your perusal. Item #3 Using Your Digital Camera will help explain shutter speeds and aperatures and white balance etc. Any questions feel free to ask - lost of people here eager to help. I might even be able to answer some of them.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin