85 See the change?

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited March 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just throwing out a few ideas. Took these on the way home from work. It was already too dark and the sky wasn't interesting but they'd be easy to reshoot on a nicer day if they say "Change" to anyone. A couple more to follow.
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited February 21, 2007
    #3 Reflection of the Past
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    this may be a stupid question, but as I am not familiar with that part of the country or ath particular street, I'm wondering if you could get at a higher level and get more of the reflection (#3) of the old building in the new one's windows.

I love the concept, it's just not THAT clear what you're trying to get across....

- Re
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I like the 3rd one, a lot. Especially if you reshoot it, to takeout all the distractions. It has potential, and I like the concept.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Love the third one!!!
    I totally got it right away and love it. Maybe a little less noise and if you could move the red newpaper box... :)
  • imagin'imagin' Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    no...
    salazar wrote:
    Just throwing out a few ideas. Took these on the way home from work. It was already too dark and the sky wasn't interesting but they'd be easy to reshoot on a nicer day if they say "Change" to anyone. A couple more to follow.

To be honest – None of the 3 images say "change" to me. Am I missing something? headscratch.gif

Ida

http://imagin.smugmug.com
    edited February 22, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    this may be a stupid question, but as I am not familiar with that part of the country or that particular street, I'm wondering if you could get at a higher level and get more of the reflection (#3) of the old building in the new one's windows.

I love the concept, it's just not THAT clear what you're trying to get across....

- Re
    I like the 3rd one, a lot. Especially if you reshoot it, to takeout all the distractions. It has potential, and I like the concept.
    I totally got it right away and love it. Maybe a little less noise and if you could move the red newpaper box... :)

Thanks all for the feedback. I like #3 the most but my wife liked the first so I put up the three to see what you all thought. Ross, I was thinking the same thing when I shot it (#3) and I should be able to get higher for a reshoot (I'm not above putting a step ladder on the sidewalk, that should make a few people look). It was getting too dark for my poor little PowerShot A430 to capture anything without too much noise so I thought of these as more of mockups more than real shots. Same reason why I didn't take the time to PhotoShop the power lines and distractions. I'm not sure where I'll end up with this but at least I got started early so I've got some time to experiment (and wait for a sunny day).
    edited February 27, 2007
    OK, I'm back with a reshot and Photoshopped #3. What do you think?

Change - Reflecting the Past
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I like, but i wish that guy was not in the picture.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    I like both versions of your original #3 shot. headscratch.gif

I like the woman in the first better than the man and that the lighting is less harsh, but I love the look of the reflected old building in your second take on the shot...the brighter lighting really helps emphasize the distortion of the reflection...hmmm
    edited February 28, 2007
    PyroPrints & Amy, thanks for the impressions and feedback. I've got some time this eveing so I'm going to play around with this a bit more and see what happens. Thanks again, it helps.
    edited February 28, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    OK, I'm back with a reshot and Photoshopped #3. What do you think?

Getting the idea now; Like it!
    Though the guy and other things in the lower half of the pict distract. Maybe shoot up higher and correct perspective in PS? Or can you stand on a high ladder/van? Or crop? Anyway, great idea, so I wish you Good Luck!

Ida
    edited February 28, 2007
    Here I go again:
    edited February 28, 2007
    Here I go again:
    edited March 1, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Here I go again:
    thumb.gif Now we're talking...
    Did you try some even tighter crops? I did – and found an exciting crop! (I don't want not 'push' my vision on the pict so I won't post it unless you ask for it. :tiptoe )

ida
    edited March 1, 2007
    imagin' wrote:
    thumb.gif Now we're talking...
    Did you try some even tighter crops? I did – and found an exciting crop! (I don't want not 'push' my vision on the pict so I won't post it unless you ask for it. :tiptoe )

ida

Go for it! (Or, as we'd say in Cape Breton, "Giver 'er bye!") I've been looking at this one for too long so I'm more than happy for fresh eyes. I'd love to see it.
    edited March 1, 2007
    Surreal
    salazar wrote:
    Go for it! (Or, as we'd say in Cape Breton, "Giver 'er bye!") I've been looking at this one for too long so I'm more than happy for fresh eyes. I'd love to see it.

You might want to fine-tune. I like playing on the edge of the recognizable and the abstract. Furthermore, I can see echos of Salvador Dali.

132917684-L.jpg
    edited March 1, 2007
    Wierd. I tried that crop but it looks better now you've done it. Thank you. I'll experiment when I get home this eveing. Thanks again imagin'
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    yes, I like the more abstracty tighter crop, and that the whole pic appears bluer this way (the little bit of light grey in the top left corner distracts me a little, though)
  • artistpartistp Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    This brings to mind a whole new contest. Name your artist:

Piet Mondrian

mondrianli4.jpg

Salvidor Dali
    dali2ck8.jpgmondrian3sf4.jpgdali3mc3.jpg

Georges Bracques
    mondrian2ne5.jpg

Ansel Adams: exposure strip
    mondrian4cs9.jpg
    edited March 6, 2007
    Yippee! I made the finals! I didn't think I was going to this time. We'll, I never think I'm going to, but there were so many interesting entries this go round I didn't think I had a chance. And to Nick for:
    Nikolai wrote:
    We have used a rather complicated scientifically proven procedure called a "tossup".
    You throw your (wireless) keyboard in the air, and when it lands on its keys it occasionally produces numbers.
    Numbers from different judges were then intermixed. Like first digit of Erik's selected post number the ranked entry from David and his second digit was used as a factor for mine....
    It actually gets a little bit more complicated than that, but the results turned out to be OK :D

HTH

Thanks everyone who contributed for your rections and responses; rosselliot, fashiznitsngrins, pyroPrints, imagin' (special thanks for the crop) & Amy. And thanks to artistp for the art lesson and a good laugh! See you all next week when we really get down to work. Giv 'er b'y!