freezing rain

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 22, 2005 in Wildlife
Here, like most places, the weather has been severe and yucky! We had freezing rain turn to snow over the last 36 hours, and then get really cold!
Does terrible things to the roads, but allows for some nice photos.
Yesterday was overcast and the lighting was very flat:
14559012-M.jpg

14559017-M.jpg

today, the sun is shining:
14564732-M.jpg

14564729-M.jpg

ann

Comments

• Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Dear Ann,

the first one is absolutely my favourite here, print it, frame it and hang it someplace light thumb.gifthumb.gif It is a great picture!!
    The other ones were very nice too, but the first one really jumped at me!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Ann
    I like all your compositions, Ann
    Strange, but it seems to me that I see how you look around, note all these compositions and take shots!
    Great, very winter photos!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Hi ann.. I too like the first two.. how often do we see these beautiufl moments but not capture them.. great that you did..clap.gifclap.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Very nice set Ann, I like them all, but I cant wait till we arnt seeing all of the winter pics... I am ready for spring.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Very nice set Ann, I like them all, but I cant wait till we arnt seeing all of the winter pics... I am ready for spring.

I agree greaps... Winter is tough. Today I was depressed. I went out and shot 100 pics. None turned out. :cry I will be glad to see a flower bloom. Something green. I CAN'T WAIT!

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Lovely, ann! :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 21, 2005
    Real nice shots, Ann. Good job!. thumb.gif #'s 1 or 3 could be POTD candidates somewhere. For #3 I'd clone out the power line shadows, though.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Dear Ann,

the first one is absolutely my favourite here, print it, frame it and hang it someplace light thumb.gifthumb.gif It is a great picture!!
    The other ones were very nice too, but the first one really jumped at me!
    Thank you, Michiel!:D

I have the perfect frame for such a photo - it hangs in the window so it will certainly get lots of light.

ann
    edited January 21, 2005
    I like all your compositions, Ann
    Strange, but it seems to me that I see how you look around, note all these compositions and take shots!
    Great, very winter photos!
    Well, thank you so much, Yuri! Would you say we are on the same 'wavelength'?

Maybe one day I will join you on your portrait wavelength!
    ann
    edited January 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi ann.. I too like the first two.. how often do we see these beautiufl moments but not capture them.. great that you did..clap.gifclap.gif
    Hi lynnma

Too true - I am making a feeble attempt at a photo a day project, to push me to capture these moments and simple candids of friends and family too. I am not very good at bringing the camera out in casual times, and tend to hibernate on days like today when it is -20C. So, the POD project is at least helping with that!

Thanks

ann
    edited January 21, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Oh, so am I...alas spring is a long way away here - it will be late May before I will have flowers to photograph!

So until then....I will be posting winter wonderlands!:cry

ann
    edited January 21, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Lovely, ann! :)
    Thanks, fish!

ann
    edited January 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Real nice shots, Ann. Good job!. thumb.gif #'s 1 or 3 could be POTD candidates somewhere. For #3 I'd clone out the power line shadows, though.
    Thank you David.

Those must be shadows from tree branches - no power lines anywhere near there, but lots of other trees.

ann
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Beautiful shots Ann. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I wish i could get shots like that, Nah! Its better that you get those shots. rolleyes1.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • createdbysandracreatedbysandra Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Nice
    I love the first one, its awesome, I agree with the earlier post, frame it and hang it....
    ...Sandra...:)
  • HELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAKHELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAK Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    great pics
    Great pics Anne,,,
    I just wish I could see some snow.. I also like the firt pic..along with the old wagon wheel.. makes for a great prop... clap.gif

vicki