Options

Photography workshop aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
Hey all,
I and another Dgrinner were talking with the Director of the RMS Queen Mary Foundation, which is a non profit organization that runs the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, and they want us organize photography workshops to promote the ship and it's conservation.

We're initially planning the first workshop on Saturday 4/14/07.
The workshop will include a brief slide show to present the photo op aboard the ship, then the rest of the workshop will be hands on learning aboard the ship, emphasizing better understanding of metering modes, composition techniques, exposure techniques, and controlling depth of focus. Anyone from a point and shoot camera to a digital SLR is encouraged to attend.

We want plenty of time for one on one instruction, so we are keeping the workshop small at 10 participants. The workshop will take approximately three hours from 10AM-1Pm and includes a First Class Passage ( After the workshop, you can use the First Class Passage to stay on board and further enjoy the ship's exhibits and tours.

Here is a link to the Queen Mary's site.
http://queenmary.com/index.php

Here is my Queen Mary Gallery so you can see what type of photo ops are available.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/575086#94358213

The Foundation is charging a fee, so E-mail /PM me if you are interested.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Sounds interesting. I'll ask here instead of PM as I'm sure everyone will have this question: what is the fee going to be?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    The RMS foundation is asking for $189.
    When all things are set, you will order the ticket throught the Queen Mary's site.
    The workshop fee includes a first class passenger ticket as well which sells for $27.95. Since you have a ticket, there are couple of guided tours and you can remain on the ship to enjoy the ohter attractions on the ship or practice more techniques on your own.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    Tom:

This sounds like a fun and interesting endeavor.

Would you tell our viewers a bit more, as plans develop, about the seminar, such as:

a) Who will the instructors be and their qualifications?
    b) Does all or part of the fee go to conservation?

For those who don't know Tom I'll tell you he's a hell of a guy. I've shot with him and the LAShooters a couple of times and he's always very generous sharing his knowledge, tips and tricks with a dSLR.

If he's helping organize this I'm certain it will be top notch (full disclosure: I am not the other dgrinner he mentioned)

Heck, about the only negative I can point to is his use of Canon equipment, but we can't all be perfect! :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Ha ha,
    Thanks Angelo. As for your questions,
    I will be the instructor. As for my qualification, I own LAShooters, a forum that shoots about every week. Most of our outings are in an informal workshop manner. We've been doing this for over a year now, so once a week almost is over 50 workshops I guess.

Just to let you know, I'm a practicing physician in LA with a bad addiction to camera. :) Most of my work has been to help non profit groups as a volunteer with photography in the Los Angeles area.

Other than my involvement with workshops from LAShooters, I've shot for Gene Autry Museum's webpage and their PR stills for pay, PR stills for Clinica Oscar Romero (a non profit medical clinic to help indigent of downtown Los Angeles), Equestfest which is a equestrian event featuring the horses that participate in the Rose Parade, shot events for various bands (Moxie Prophets, La Sonora show International, Merry Wives of Windsor), was the event photog for LA's day of the dead in 2006 and have my work from 2005 featured on their website, had some of my work on carnaval.org and sambala.org to help promote Brazilian culture in Long Beach.

Tim is the other person and besides being a avid shooter and a connosuir of old Ocean Liners, used to be the tour guide aboard the QM, so he will actually be giving a tour of the ship as well and help out.

As for the next question, the foundation is willing to share the proceeds with us for creating the project and for promoting the ships conservation. Basically Tim and I are creating this project from scratch to promote Queen Mary's foundation, which is a non profit group to conserve and promote Queen Mary. There was some questionable leadership before the foundation took over recently, and they are trying hard to preserve and promote this beautiful Art Deco ship.

We already have the workshop planned out. The participants will buy the tickets online through Queen Mary's site and then we'll meet in a designated conference room where we'll go over the ship's more photogenic locations and examples of the shots available from those locations. After the brief slide show, Tim will guide us to various locations in the slideshow and give us historical information about the ship. We'll then stop and discuss first compositional techniques, metering, technical camera settings, review our shots, critique, and the reshoot if necessary.

Once we've concluded the free first class passage will allow you to stay aboard and explore the ship on your own and/or go on more tours, a few are guided as well.

I'll have my Canon and a few lenses as well, so if you shoot Canon, you can also try out a few EOS mount lenses as well.

If there are any more questions, please let me know here or via PM.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Very cool. I know I am very interested...checking calendar now....
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Hey thanks for the interest.
    I think it'll definately be fun.
    What do you shoot with? If for Canon, I'm intending to bring my Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and Canon 70-200 f2.8L for folks to try out if they want.

If Nikon? Angelo will lend you his lenses. If you throw it overboard, I won't mind. :)
    Just Kidding Angelo....
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    Tee Why wrote:
    What do you shoot with? If for Canon, I'm intending to bring my Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and Canon 70-200 f2.8L for folks to try out if they want.

If Nikon? Angelo will lend you his lenses. If you throw it overboard, I won't mind. :)
    Just Kidding Angelo....

umph.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Tim and I revisited the Queen Mary yesterday night for a refresher.
    Starboard Side by the stern overlooking the Long Beach Harbor.
    132107527-L.jpg

Looking from the gangwalk toward the stern at the latenight party crowd.
    132107625-L.jpg

Prominade deck windows overlooking Los Angeles Harbor.
    132107467-L.jpg

Young Girls running through
    132107595-L.jpg

Railings over the starboard side lit green at night.
    132107536-L.jpg

Lifeboat through a window.
    132107557-L.jpg

Window display
    132107610-L.jpg

Of course you have to have a staiway shot.
    132107436-L.jpg

Stay tuned, we're talking with the foundation to lower the cost a bit.
    Tom
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Tee Why wrote:

Just Kidding Angelo....

Mainly Canon: 20D, 24-70/2.8, 50/1.8, Tokina 12-24/4 (can get my hands on a 70-200/2.8IS, or if I'm feely crazy a 300/2.8IS). Oh, and the kit lens, but that sits on the shelf mostly now. Also shoot a Mamiya 645Pro.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    For places like the QM, the toke 12-24 would get vast majority of the work done. The 24-70 maybe good too.

A close focusing lens is really helpful to for detail oriented shots.
  • Options
    AviranAviran Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2007
    Is there any new info on this event?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    I'm sorry but the foundation seems to have lost interest in the project. I wouldn't count on it right now.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Ok,
    An update, all the powers that be have decided that they want this and we need to talk to the head of the foundation again to finalize things and get the dates and prices set.

I'll update as I get more info, but the foundation like most organizations seems to move slow.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    At least they're moving. I'm still interested.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Things at the foundation seems to happen very slooooooooowwwwwwwwww.
    So when I hear more detail, I'll post it.
    Thanks.