Digital body life span (# of frames)

msrmsr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2007 in Cameras
Does anyone have an idea of the life span of a Digital body? Canon 5D just passed 30,000 images last night.

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    The 5D has a max 100,000 shutter cycle.
  • msrmsr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2007
    So does the shutter get replaced after 100,000 or does the camera get replaced?
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    That's the average. Yours could do 150k or 80k. All depends on if the shutter was installed Friday afternoon or Wednesday @2pm. eek7.gif:D

Guess it also depends on the conditions you use your unit in and a number of other factors. Honestly, I wouldn't worry if I were you. When the shutter mech fails, you can get it replaced (by Canon) or replace the whole cam. That choice will be up to you... mwink.gif
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    msr wrote:

100K is the MTBF - it might fail substantially before that, or long after that. Repair it when it breaks :D

Edit: Seymore beat me to it mwink.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Plus, often is the case that till the shutter actually fails the photographer is ready for a new and updated camera, so instead of getting it repaired getting an updated camera is always an option as well...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    msr wrote:
    The maximum shutter life is the manufacturer's way of giving you an excuse to buy a new body. :D

Seriously, replacing a shutter isn't cheap, but it does cost less than a new body. When the time comes, you can decide whether the latest and greatest model is worth the difference in price.

Regards,
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    msr wrote:
    Does anyone have an idea of the life span of a Digital body? Canon 5D just passed 30,000 images last night.

How 'bout the Canon 20D ?headscratch.gif

thanks,
    rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    When I was in high school, I was a "grease monkey" in a garage part time. In shop, I had been taught how to grease a wheel bearing, but the new bearings were the sealed non-greasable "lifetime" type; they were guaranted for life.

I asked the mechanic what "guaranteed for life" meant. He replied, "they will last until they burn out".

How long will your shutter last? About the same life span as wheel bearings have.rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    rich56k wrote:

thanks,
    rich56k
    Canon has no official estimated shutter life for the 20D. But keep in mind that these are estimates. Your shutter could last for 150,000 or 10,000 images. If it does break just hope you are in your waranty period because I believe it is a $300-$400 fix.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited February 23, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Canon has no official estimated shutter life for the 20D. But keep in mind that these are estimates. Your shutter could last for 150,000 or 10,000 images. If it does break just hope you are in your waranty period because I believe it is a $300-$400 fix.

Gluwater,
    Thanks for the scoop, thumb.gif

I tried to guess-timate my usage as event shooter almost exclusively,
    my uploaded #/pics to s/mug is 6900+ .....figure I shoot approx 1000/ event and post approx 100-150 of that I'm prob up around 65-70,000 starting from back in june '05 ( ALL outdoor Cali. scorching hot summer drag racing shoots)...warranty long gone :cry but ... since I bought from a local brick & morter (CAM Photo - Burbank,CA - great folks, check 'em out next time you're in Burbank) the help/answers/support Ive gotten from them (almost like a walk-in "Dgrin" shop bowdown.gif !) I've got my moneys worth already - but I will keep my fingers crossed for 1 more summer! rolleyes1.gif

thanks again,
    rich56k
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    If we reset the camera's counter from time to time, how do we know the total number of shots done ?ne_nau.gif

If you are buying an used cam how do you know it shot 9.999 pictures or 2 pictures ?
    -
    I have to reset a 20D and/or a 350D from time to time, because I want to place all the photos in the same directory, before treating them.

This will allow me to make them stand by the cronological order, so the order they were shot.

Did I make myself clear ? (I am not that sure, in fact).:D

Thank you. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    If we reset the camera's counter from time to time, how do we know the total number of shots done ?ne_nau.gif

If you are buying an used cam how do you know it shot 9.999 pictures or 2 pictures ?
    -
    I have to reset a 20D and/or a 350D from time to time, because I want to place all the photos in the same directory, before treating them.

This will allow me to make them stand by the cronological order, so the order they were shot.

Thank you. thumb.gif
    Hi Toni,

The short answer is, you can't. Not with a 20D. All you can do is try to keep track of the running total. I just let mine roll over at 10000, and this happens rarely enough that I can remember.

The 1D has a field in the EXIF data that shows the total number of actuations. There is something in the EXIF data from a 20D, but Canon has not revealed how to interpret it. You can read more in this thread.

Hope you are doing well.
    edited February 23, 2007
    Thank you Richard ! thumb.gif
    I'll follow the link to know something more about it :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007

-

Thank you. thumb.gif

You know there's an easier way? Each image has a timestamp embedded in the EXIF. If you rename based on that, you will automatically have files named in chronological order. I have my download utility set up to do this & my files are all named beginning with YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS. Sorts chronologically by filename very nicely. thumb.gif Even with multiple cameras (the one caveat is the cameras MUST have their clocks set precisely).
    edited February 23, 2007
    You know there's an easier way? Each image has a timestamp embedded in the EXIF. If you rename based on that, you will automatically have files named in chronological order. I have my download utility set up to do this & my files are all named beginning with YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS. Sorts chronologically by filename very nicely. thumb.gif Even with multiple cameras (the one caveat is the cameras MUST have their clocks set precisely).

Chris,
    You don't rename your files one at the time, of course.

I work in RAW and I think you do the same. :D

How do you rename 1.000 files in a go ? ne_nau.gif

Is there any command I don't know about to do so ? ne_nau.gif

This is in fact a good way to sort the files chronologicallythumb.gif

Regards.:Dthumb.gif
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    What I've learned...
    rich56k wrote:

thanks,
    rich56k

The photo boys on the New River sit in one spot all day and shoot and shoot and shoot.

Of the 3 20Ds they started with 2 years ago, one got 120,000, one got 135,000 and the 3rd is still plugging along at around 160,000.

Or, so they said...
    edited February 24, 2007
    The photo boys on the New River sit in one spot all day and shoot and shoot and shoot.

Of the 3 20Ds they started with 2 years ago, one got 120,000, one got 135,000 and the 3rd is still plugging along at around 160,000.

Or, so they said...

thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

Every little bit helps !
    Thanks Airedrifter !

rich56k
    edited February 26, 2007
    Chris,
    You don't rename your files one at the time, of course.

I work in RAW and I think you do the same. :D

How do you rename 1.000 files in a go ? ne_nau.gif

Is there any command I don't know about to do so ? ne_nau.gif

This is in fact a good way to sort the files chronologicallythumb.gif

Regards.:Dthumb.gif

Nope, I sure don't. I use Breezesys' Downloader Pro utility; it can be set to read the image EXIF data and rename the file pretty much how you like. So I have it look at the timestamp to get the date and time information, then grab the camera model and the original filename to finish out the naming. All automatic. If you're on Mac, I've heard there's a utility called DIM (or something like that) which performs the same function.
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nope, I sure don't. I use Breezesys' Downloader Pro utility; it can be set to read the image EXIF data and rename the file pretty much how you like. So I have it look at the timestamp to get the date and time information, then grab the camera model and the original filename to finish out the naming. All automatic. If you're on Mac, I've heard there's a utility called DIM (or something like that) which performs the same function.

Hi Chris,
    Indeed a quick search in Google worked perfectly.
    Thank you.
    Cheers. thumb.gif
  • yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    My 20D just died, I'm assuming it's the shutter, but when ever it has a charged battery in it will just start shooting sporadically, different amounts of time in between exposers, and different exposer lengths, even with the camera off! I'm guessing i put between 85 and 105K on it since i got it last august, it was a referb from Adorama, and I believe it had a 1 year worentey on it.
    We shall see what canon does.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I find threads like this very strange. Why must you worry about it? You go out and take pics, if something breaks, you have it fixed or turf the thing out and buy new - if it's still under warranty, let the supplier/manufacturer worry about it.

Whether you like it or not, a camera/lens is a consumable (like your car). It's going to break somewhere along the line.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I find threads like this very strange. Why must you worry about it? You go out and take pics, if something breaks, you have it fixed or turf the thing out and buy new - if it's still under warranty, let the supplier/manufacturer worry about it.

Whether you like it or not, a camera/lens is a consumable (like your car). It's going to break somewhere along the line.

What you say is true, but I believe the perception of what is happening is somewhat more curious.

People that used to shoot maybe a few hundred images a year in film, are now shooting thousands of images a year in digital. Digital cameras are so much easier to justify because the more you shoot, the more amortized the costs, and the lower each frame costs, until something breaks. Then the real TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) comes to light.

With P&S digital cameras, the low frame rate and the lack of true mechanical shutter makes them seem to last forever.

With dSLRs, the true stutter mechanism has a limited life, and is often the first thing to go wrong. This catches people by surprise, because they had gotten the impression of more durability, which they would prefer to measure in terms of "years of service".

I can still buy 40 year old film cameras with considerable service life remaining. I do wonder how many digital SLRs will be viable using the same measure of time?

Cameras are simply tools, and modern digital cameras are modern marvels in terms of their ability to capture quality images automatically and painlessly, ... until they break.

I believe Yoda said it best, "Shoot wisely young Skywalker, and waste not your digital shots." (OK, I just made that up, but that's what he would have said! (If he was a real being, that cared about digital photography. mwink.gif))
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 28, 2007
    Good points. The sudden concern over shutter life is just one aspect I've seen. There is also the micro-analysis of AF performance on lenses, resolution of those lenses, corner-to-corner sharpness, etc. And everyone is an instant expert on this, knows more than the Canon/Nikon/et. al. engineers and MUST have the PERFECT copy or the world will end. It's gotten to the point that I think there are a bunch of neurotics who have suddenly taken up photography. Did people spend so much time agonizing over such minor details in the film days? I sure don't remember it. Too many have forgotten the simple fact that the camera and lens is simply a tool for creating an image, not the end in itself. In all it really is kind of ridiculous when you think about it. headscratch.gifcrazy
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    In all it really is kind of ridiculous when you think about it. headscratch.gifcrazy
    I gotta agree with you 118.2% on this one.
    What was it that used to be said about making a mountain outta a molehill?