Sigma DC and Tamron Di-II lens compatibility.

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Cameras
I have a 10d, which means that I can't use EF-S lenses. Ostensibly I wouldn't be too bothered by this, except that I've taken a recent fondness to very wide glass, and there's some tempting options in that lens range. Sigma DC lenses, as well as the Tamron Di-II lenses are specifically for crop factor camera bodies, but does anyone know if the mounting flage on these lenses is the same as a Canon EF lens (which means they should mount up just fine) or if they are the same as the EF-S mount flange, meaning I'd be left out of all the fun.

Also, when lens manufacturers talk about the zoom range of crop lenses, are they still listing the zoom range in 35mm terms, as in "10mm (16mm on APS-C)" or are they listing those numbers post-crop-factor conversion, since those numbers don't really have any meaning because they can't mount up to any cameras with a full frame sensor?
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    I have a 10d, which means that I can't use EF-S lenses. Ostensibly I wouldn't be too bothered by this, except that I've taken a recent fondness to very wide glass, and there's some tempting options in that lens range. Sigma DC lenses, as well as the Tamron Di-II lenses are specifically for crop factor camera bodies, but does anyone know if the mounting flage on these lenses is the same as a Canon EF lens (which means they should mount up just fine) or if they are the same as the EF-S mount flange, meaning I'd be left out of all the fun.

Also, when lens manufacturers talk about the zoom range of crop lenses, are they still listing the zoom range in 35mm terms, as in "10mm (16mm on APS-C)" or are they listing those numbers post-crop-factor conversion, since those numbers don't really have any meaning because they can't mount up to any cameras with a full frame sensor?
    Not a canonite, so I can't help ya on the first part. (though I've wondered about the same thing)

As for the focal length thing... They don't apply the 1.6x factor. So it would be a 10-22 or a 12-24 if mounted on a full frame, even if it can't be be. So the 10-22 comes to 16-35.2mm "equivalent"
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    The DC and Di lenses will work just fine on your 10D. They are optimized for the APS-C sized sensor, but the depth of the elements is standard, they didn't follow Canon's EF-S lead here, and kept it "safer". By designing for C sensors, they can shrink the diameter since the coverage area is smaller.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The DC and Di lenses will work just fine on your 10D. They are optimized for the APS-C sized sensor, but the depth of the elements is standard, they didn't follow Canon's EF-S lead here, and kept it "safer". By designing for C sensors, they can shrink the diameter since the coverage area is smaller.

15524779-Ti.gif

Additionally, the Canon EF-S lenses have a protrusion/extension which prevents their use on non-EF-S bodies. Some EF-S lenses have been successfully "modified" by users to fit the Canon 10D body.

See the following links for more details:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks Erik!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L