Help! I need some creative ideas for team pictures

RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Sports
Once again I have been selected to shoot the team pictures for our girls youth soccer club. I would like to something a little more creative than the standard team shots.

In the past I have placed all of the girls on the "monkey bars" and have shot them looking over their shoulders. I just can't bring myself to line them up in the boring "two row" style.

If anyone has any creative group athletic picture ideas please let me know. Better yet if you have any creative pictures please post them (as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words)

Thanks,
Chris

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-

Comments

• ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Once again I have been selected to shoot the team pictures for our girls youth soccer club. I would like to something a little more creative than the standard team shots.

Here a lot of teams take their picture on the beach, sitting on a cliff or a boulder or something, or just standing in the water. You're in Oregon, you must have nice forests or streams or something nearby. or maybe colorful umbrellas? Just a thought.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    This wasn't an "official" team picture, but we had my daughters lacrosse team at our house for an end of the year swim party last year. They were laying out in the yard and my daughter had them spell out (with thier bodies) their team name (or an acronym of their name, East Cobb Lacrosse). I tried to get some shots from the porch, which didn't work so I went up on the roof and shot this picture. I could have used one more person to make a bigger "C".

The picture was framed and given to the coaches after the final game.131464947-L.jpg
  • ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    I saw a pretty simple, but neat team picture recently.

The standard two-row deal, in front of the school. Looked like the photog PS'd a duplicate on a (top) layer and did a pretty substantial motion/gaussian blur (and maybe washed out the color some) on the layer and then masked out the individuals to the clarity of the underlying photo. You know, the whole "pop" effect 3-D with the school still recognizable but blurred/depth'd out in the background and the individuals in sharp color in the forefront.

eek7.gif

I bet a picture would be worth more than that shoddy bunch of words, huh? :D
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    First off, no need for the bold type. We can all hear you. :)

How many players on a team? Just how big is this group shot going to be? Will you have the ability to shoot from an elevate position, such as a roof or a tall ladder?

My suggestions would be to shoot from a new angle. Either down low against the grass (i.e. ball level). Put a ball in front, the players several feet or yards behind, bunched down looking at the ball. Or get up high looking down, maybe them in a circle around a ball.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu